Why do girls wear their hair in a bun or ponytail?

Like I know it is to get the hair out of your face but you can always wear a hairband or something. It just I always see girls with their hair up and never down. When I also hang out with my girl mates they never wear their hair down, even when they are inside. I find it strange because girls look so much better with their hair down.

Most Helpful Girl

• It feels cooler with it up, if it's 90 degrees outside, I don't need like a freagin scarf of hair surrounding me.

It also makes it easier to do other things, and I don't know if anyone else had this problem, but when I was in school, my hair used to get caught on things. Like it'd get caught on the desk chairs, if I was passing anything it could get caught, and while hair pulling doesn't really hurt ME for some reason, it's still really really annoying.

As you said, it keeps the hair out of our face, also an annoying problem.

It gets less tangled up and naughty when it's up. Which is horrible, because I especially have unusually thick (but lovely) hair, however it's actually broken A LOT of brushes after just 1 day of wearing it down. (I have to buy a certain type of hair brush to keep it from breaking, but before I found the right kind I was losing a hair brush every month!)

And for me, I just like the way I look with my hair up. I mean, I look fine with my hair down, but I just prefer it up.

What Girls Said 39

• It's just personal preference. They might think they look best that way or it feels the most comfortable for them. Plus hair in a bun or ponytail can look really cute sometimes depending on the outfit.

• I do it occasionally because I like to show off my elegant and narrow features.

Hair down (is sexier) to me.
    But I feel like if you have a really nice face only then can you pull off your hair in an up do (otherwise you will look plain).

I don't know why some girls wear that ALL of the time.
    Perhaps, they are afraid to try anything new with their hair.
    Maybe they have no sense of style looks wise.
    You have to want to experiment.

• When I'm in public, my hair is down 90% of the time, cause I look better like that. But when I'm at home, 90% of the time my hair is up, that's cause at home I don't give a fuck and it's WAY more comfortable that way.

• Tying hair up is more comfortable especially on a hot summer day, and it also looks much better. Hairbands don't work well at all and most of them look like a 5 year old should be wearing it.

• Get the hair out of their face, to cool down (when it's hot it's crazy to keep your hair down - in my opinion), because it's cute, because it's practical.

• well, I hardly ever wear my hair up because I can barely get it into a ponytail at this length lol I don't really care how I wear my hair but I think that especially with longer hair in summer can get quite uncomfortably hot so it's just more convenient if you put it up.

• If I have my hair up, it's still down but in a braid. I very rarely use a ponytail or bun, mainly because of how thick and heavy my hair is. I like having my hair down. When I do braid it or put it up, it's to get it out of my face and off my neck. My hair is very long and VERY thick so it gets annoying. I don't use headbands also because of how long and thick my hair is. It just doesn't do anything but hurt my head and keep falling off in my face.

• Because it's just annoying. Think about it this way: yeah suita look better but it's not the most comfortable or convenient for day to day wear. Especially when trying to relax.
    Also I have curly hair so once I put it in a bun one day it has to be in an up-do until I wash it again

• also I like the way I look with buns more. I think it makes my jawline and face look slimmer and sharper

• Unless it's summer or when I'm playing sports, then my hair would no doubt be up. Rest of the time my hair is always down.

• It depends. When I sleep, I usually put it in a pineapple (not literally) it's like a pony tail at your forehead for curly haired girls and when I go out or am hot or lazy I put it in a bun. If I do something outside, play a sport I put it in a nice little pony tail with a head band

• Some girls like having their hair up, it's dosent get in the way, and dosent get greasy as quickly... and that's just your opinion

• Because they get hot with their hair on their neck.

• Because that's what they want to do with their hair and they don't care if you like it or not.

• Because it's really hard to do stuff with hair always falling into your face. Also when it's hot long hair is basically a blanket that is just sitting on your neck, not fun. Plus a bun or ponytail can look cute for a certain situation or with a certain outfit.

• I put my hair in a ponytail for yoga, running & working out. Keeps my hair out of my face. For swimming I put it in a ponytail because then it's easier to get my hair under my swimcap.

But I don't have it put up all the time. If I'm not working out or swimming I often let it down.

• I am one of the oddballs that never wears hair accessories at all because they give me headaches and I prefer the look of my hair when it is down.

• I do it if my hair feels oily after some works or I just really don't want to feel my hair on my neck, face, etc.

• Hairbands aren't really flattering if your front is big and some girls are self-conscious about wearing them.
    Personally I only wear my hair up when it is really hot.

• Because women don't exist to cater to your personal preference?

• Wow, calm down.

• So you're mad because I answered a question directed towards girls, where girls are mentioned multiple times, including his preference for how girls wear there hair, with a patronizing tone?

• Opinion owner, you the real MVP

• To help keep it out of your face.

• When you have really long hair just a headband isn't going to work.

• Plus having your hair down makes you hotter. So in summer you would start sweating easily with it down.

• It's low maintenance, plus not all of us live to please men.

• A bun or ponytail is also a quick hairstyle for when you don't feel like spending a lot of time on your hair.

• I used to have very long hair but I always wear it up in a pony tail because i feel hot with it down. I now have shoulder length hair but it still making me feel hot so I still wear it up haha.

• Hair gets in the way

• It's more convenient.

• Because buns and ponytails are convenient. And cute.

• It's quick, easy, and gets your hair off of your neck and out of your face. It also keeps it from going everywhere.

• I have crazy thick and wild hair. It looks better up.

• well thats strange compared to me, cause mine is always down unless im playing sport hahah :)

• I don't know it's just more comfortable especially when it's hot.

• More from Girls
    9

What Guys Said 4

• I think it has a lot to do with washing it - If you don't wash it everyday easier to manage as a bun or ponytail

• Obliviously to keep it out of their face, and the second reason is they just like that style of hair.

• Cause they like to play with their hair.

• It's more comfortable lol