Why is it acceptable to show yourself in a bikini but not lingerie?

I'm a model so I'm maybe a little more out there with my body. I'll probably get some hate for my profile pictures. But seriously, what if it were just a bikini?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't understand that logic either. However, I think it's just because there is symbolism involved, since lingerie usually has to do with sexy times, so prudish people will get all worked up about it. Bikini clad females turn me on just as much as lingerie on a girl, so im really not sure why. xD

Most Helpful Girl

• In theory there is no difference, but bikinis are made a little more fancy so they appear as a dress and not underwear. By the way, nobody objects when you wear a sport slip and sport bra, and the difference with lingerie is also small there.

What Guys Said 11

• I strongly believe that women in lingerie turn me on a lot more than bikini. I will still have enough will power to look at their faces with bikinis (even though I still fail at random), lingerie would be instant kill to my will power. I wouldn't be able to stop staring and having thoughts.

• I think society has standards depending on time, place and circumstance... a bikini in the summer near a beach, pool, other would be acceptable... lingerie while you're at home is fine, as it's more for private occasions, apparently. I don't really care too much about societal norms as I like seeing either on a girl...

• Your profile pic is lovely

• That has nothing to do with my question.

• Firstly I have no problem with either but other responders are right it is probably society's association that is creating the problem rather than the lingerie itself.

• Its all about context. Showing nipples on man vs woman in public. It's also like why can a man go topless at the beach but not the supermarket. Lingerie usually is a little more revealing than a padded thick fabric bikini. Sorry if this bothers you. You are more than welcome to walk around naked around me.

• Bikinis are meant to be worn at the beach, near water, or on the way to them. Lingerie is meant to be worn for... other reasons.

• you have a good argument there. both shows enough skin to turn a guy on or be sexual. But lingerie i believe dont hide the breast nipples, etc and shows much more in public places than society is ready to accept

• Cuz America

• I don't know, I'm comfortable with you wearing either.

• It's the idea and activities each of pieces of clothing represent.

• They're essentially the same thing, what I'm having a hard time is, seeing how they differ. If you can tell us the difference, then there's the answer

• Because a bikini is meant to be seen by others. Lingerie isn't meant to be seen by anyone besides your significant other.

• It's the same fucking prerogative!! It shows the same stuff!

What Girls Said 5

• Because sometimes society's values and attitudes are messed up and make no sense.

• In Las Vegas, prostitutes do wear nothing but lingerie on the streets. I think since it is considered underwear, it is meant to go underneath your clothes. Bikinis are swimsuits so it is a bit different. I honestly would not want to walk around on the street in nothing but a bra and panties because I don't want to attract a possible sexual assault.

• Would you walk around the street in a bikini?

• Nope. Would only wear that to the beach or some place where I was going to be in a pool or hot tub.

• Because lingerie means sex, bikinis means swimming

• I think its partially because lingerie is just more personal.

• it makes no sense.