Girls, First time wearing a dress. Any tips?

She picked me to be her maid of honor. We are going to pick out bridesmaid dresses tonight. I have never worn a dress or skirt before... I consider myself to be a bit of a tom boy lol. Any tips for wearing a dress for the first time? How long does it take to get used to wearing a dress?

9

Most Helpful Girl

• When sitting, watch the skirt of the dress, it can sometimes become uncomfortable and pull if you sit wrong. You can either cross your legs at the ankle, sit turned to the side slightly with your legs together (your legs will be towards one of the corners of the chair), or sit with your knees together and your legs turned slightly in. The slight angle of you calves keeps your knees together pretty well. If it's a long dress, you don't have to worry about sitting as much but you do have to be careful with walking. Make sure the hem of the skirt doesn't get caught underneath the front of your foot when walking forwards (the dress will tear or you'll kiss the ground) or when your walking backwards (your ass with connect with aforementioned ground). Try to watch your posture as well. Depending on the dress, shitty posture can adds pounds and make the dress look awkward. Use the ballerina idea. There's a thread connected to the base of your spine that runs up your back and pulls your body to an upright position. Your shoulders are relaxed, but your back is straight. Ummm if it's strapless be aware that it can slip so watch that. Especially if you're a Tom boy. Dresses weren't made for playing in (unfortunately) so if you do it, do it carefully. Most importantly in my opinion, be yourself. Confidence is the best when wearing dressy clothing. Plus that extra confidence makes it really easy to laugh it off should a wardrobe malfunction occur. Have fun! :)

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think it will take long to get used to it. Some tips: Don't sit with your legs apart. Try not to think about walking, the dress should be altered to the point that it should be about an inch above the ground. Take the shoes you are going to wear at the wedding with you when you get the dress altered. Unless the bride says high heels, possibly choose flats unless you are comfortable in heels. I assume you haven't worn them if you are a tom boy? If your legs touch when you walk, put some deodorant on your thighs to stop any chaffing. If the dress is strapless and you are well endowed, get a good bra to wear. If you can get away without a bra make sure the seamstress knows so she can fit the dress to you so you don't have a wardrobe malfunction.

• You have three options it will be pretty uncomfortable adjusting to sitting with your legs closed since you've never worn a dress. I wear them and I personally gate sitting like that.

But you have a few options:
    -Cross your legs
    -Cross your ankles
    -Or sit down perfectly with your legs together (it is IMPOSSIBLE)

• Go for something that is knee-length with a flowy skirt, so it's not constricting your movement, or making you feel uncomfortable sitting down.
    example
    encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images

• If you wanna feel more comfortable I'd get yourself some bike shorts to wear underneath, makes it so much less breezy! Other than that all you gotta do is make sure your bra isn't showing, probably best to go for a nude strapless (even if the dress has straps) one or no bra at all if you can.

• the golden rule is to be very careful while crossing your legs or sitting down

• -Cross your legs whenever you sit
    -The dress should be at least knee length in order for it to be appropriate
    -If you plan on wearing a flowy dress, be careful from the wind

• Yep, practice sitting, standing up and walking. Watch how models do on the ramp and you can pick up few hints. Practice crossing your legs/ankles and choose a knee length skirt. Yes biker shorts are necessity. Try this before hand

• make sure its long enough.