Plain and Natural vs Made-Up and Instagram-worthy?

Bucketloads of contouring and heavily drawn "on fleek" eyebrows has become this generation's trending style.

This seems to currently be considered the standard for beauty amongst teenage girls in particular.
But my question is, guys, do YOU consider this to be ideal? Sharp, heavily defined features and "perfectly" angled eyebrows?
If not, what IS your ideal?
I left this open to both genders because while the question is directed at men, women are free to answer whether or not they consider this to be ideal as well.

I personally wish we could go back to considering the easy breezy hippie look as ideal:

But I've noticed that a lot of girls I know have begun to feel very unattractively plain with their natural face in comparison to the perfectly made up women that are being thrown in their face via the media.

• Plain and natural
  • Striking and made-up

Most Helpful Guy

• Make-up helps. But not in the way most women think it does. Most women look fine without makeup and undoubtedly some women will look better to me than others. 9 times outta 10 if every women in the world took off her makeup I'd still be physically attracted to the exact same women over other women. So in that since make-up doesn't do anything but it still helps. Many women I know feel prettier when they put on makeup. They get reassurance from their friends and they can mess around with their insecurities. Do they look any more attractive? No sometimes they look less attractive. But do they act more self confident and self assured? Definetly. When women wear make-up they often take on a yeah I look good and I'm happy with it mentality. And confidence is sexy and a lot more fun to spend time with. So yeah personally makeup doesn't do jack in the looks department (usually hurts more than helps) but if it makes my girl feel prettier when she puts it on I'm gonna tell her she's gorgeous when she asks no matter how I feel.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 26

• Honestly, it just depends on the girl. Some girls look better with more makeup, some look better with a little, and some look great with none at all. Girls should just do whatever makes them feel the most attractive/comfortable and stop comparing themselves to others because.

• The first two girls are very unattractive to me, whereas the last two look good. So yeah, I vote for natural.

• I don't care what people think but the first girl! <3

• I'm happily married to a non-makeup wearing hippie chick. She's attractive and low maintenance -- an ideal combination in my book.

• Give me a plain and natural all the way. by the way, I wouldn't consider those two girls plain, to be honest.
    I hate how the two first girls look, and they're not unattractive, is just all that fake destroys their beauty.

• Derp... what did you think the majority would vote for? The entire internet seems to be anti-fashion-magazine-model.

But yeah, I have barely ever seen girls with eyebrows that probably make them look worse than they would with less busy ones. Like 499/500 girls have eyebrows that fit them just right.

• I prefer plain and natural myself

• Those angled eyebrows look hella weird. I have no idea who came up with it, but I sure as hell don't find them attractive whatsoever.

• I like Plain and Natural very attractive.

• how about a middle part? veery basic make up to cover the shades under the eyes etc? first 2 pics are like "omg are you in the circus?" and the other 2 is what i'd find beautiful if she'd be my girlfriend, but not on the street. might be cute though

• Just don't pay with your eyebrows they're fine the way they are the more you draw it the more we can tell its fake.

• First two girls look horrendous.

Third girl has passed through a number of photographic filters. Fourth girl is tastefully made up.

You wanna Google "pornstars without makeup" and see a real difference.

• I don't mind simple makeup, but those drawn on eyebrows are simply ridiculous.

You use that much makeup you just come across as an insecure tryhard.

• I don't like the hippie ideal, either...

• That last girl looks amazing! <3

• Plain and natural please. If not then just the merest hint of makeup

• Last 2 look great, the first one looks like a trashy Kylie Jenner, the second one looks silly and unattractive.

• Lol i never use filters

• the last chick and I almost forgot how girls really look like from all the heavy make up thats prominent these days

• Almost all natural with a hint of make up is the best.

• Plain and natural all the way.

• Meh. Depends on the girl and how made up she is. Some just fucking overdo it, but many find a good balance.

• Plain and natural all the way

• Not many girls look good natural only us guys can look good natural.

• I don't look at a girls eyebrows and think "they're nice, she'll do" and I am actually not bothered about a girls eyebrows whatsoever,
    And I don't believe there are such things as perfectly angled eyebrows,
    But to be honest, since we're on the subject, that girl in the very bottom picture of "natural" has fantastic eyebrows 👍

• All pics are instagram worthy, as long as they follow policy rules. No nudes etc..

What Girls Said 54

• The on fleek Instagram women do not represent all women who make up their faces. So, I feel as if the poll should be altered. I like make-up. I love lip colors, and 6 out of 7 days, I'm wearing some shade of lipstick or matte lip gloss on my lips. The on fleek style is too dramatic and drag for me. But I prefer made up looks, a pretty deep red or a winged liner, some nice bronzer.

Also, one great thing to come out of the on fleek Instagram looks is the matte washed out lip colors. I love them. I don't like the extreme Kylie Jenner type lip looks, but I generally like the color of the lip sticks and how matte they are.

• I think the on fleek look is ideal! That's just what a bad bitch looks like. Not to say that you can't be pretty and natural, but it's just not as glam and exciting. Anyone can do that but the striking made up look takes skill, style, flair and not everyone can achieve that.

• Well no ones eyebrows are natural except for most guys or we would have extremely bushy eyebrows or uni-brows.

But I do agree that the more natural look is far more better I don't find the ones that are drawn on attractive at all. I actually find them quite creepy and kind of masculine.

• The second set of pictures is much more normal to me and healthy looking.
    I don't want to walk around looking like a photoshopped version of myself.
    A caricature almost. No thanks.

• I think the very last girl is the prettiest. She is natural, but far from plain. Personally, I'm not a huge make-up fan. I used to care in my teens and early 20s, but not so much anymore. I only wear base, powder, light blush and mascara. I don't even own eye shadow, lipstick, lip gloss or anything else. It's too costly and too time consuming to deal with all the make-up around today. I also prefer to not be too deceitful in my looks when it comes to guys. I wouldn't want to be a guy. He can take one girl home and wake up to a completely different girl. For me, what you see is what you get. Don't like it? Oh well.

• Those two girls aren't plain, they are gorgeous. Honestly, I don't even wear makeup. Actually, more like I don't know how to, and I never bother to learn. Everywhere I go, I'd be makeup-less and if there's anyone that doesn't like it then it's their problem, not mine. I don't think anyone should wear makeup just to please someone else. It's their choice whether to wear makeup, or not.

The other two girls look pretty too.

• The thing with Instagram "worthy" makeup (i. e., heavy contouring etc.) is that it doesn't translate to real life very well. That heavily applied makeup may photograph beautifully, but in person it looks caked on. Very unattractive.

The plain look is endearing. I wish more people were comfortable with the whole "less is more" notion.

• the "striking and made up look" is getting way too common (not to say boring) its like everyone looks the same with that contouring thing

• its funny because guys are so horny they just take whats in style, so don't give a shit about guys.

Makeup like that looks good in the lighting in the photo but take that into the sun or some white light and dear god its going to look like a mess.

• I prefer plain and natural, for a single reason: I don't like to mask myself. It's awfully hard to feel beautiful and flawless once you take off your makeup if you look like a COMPLETELY different person. I want to feel that when I take my makeup off, people will be able to say: oh wow, she IS actually pretty. Not: Holy shit, she looks so DIFFERENT! I want people to see me, and while I like a little makeup to highlight what I already have, I don't want to hide under a film of shading and highlighting.

• I prefer makeup but everyone has their preferences.

• Plain and natural always wins! :) When a guy chooses to commit to a woman, he doesn’t care if her eyebrows are on fleek and she’s perfecting painting her face with contour all so she can wipe it off at the end of the night lol

• I wear makeup, everyday in school but not usually when I'm just at home, if your going out then heavy makeup is fine but for everyday it's crazy and unrealistic unless you want to sit in front of a mirror for two hours... so I think a happy medium is best, a little makeup

• I honestly don't care. They can do whatever they want. The way I see it is once you post a picture online it's there forever and it will be shared. If they want to look their best before posting a picture then that's them.

• I wouldn't like the "hippie" look, but I prefer the natural look (I myself don't wear make up)

I think all those drawn on eyebrows and pounds of make girls look absolutely ridiculous!

• It looks good in Instagram photos but if you met them in real life they'd look like dolls with faces drawn on them. That's photo shoot make up, not for every day. Some women think it's good to wear it daily... Not my cup of tea.
    Personally I don't know first thing about make up and will probably never wear it regularly. Too expensive and time consuming. I tried putting on some make up a few times and it made me feel like I am wearing a mask. It's not really me, it's a layer of gunk on my face that deceives people into thinking I am someone I am not. I'd rather wear my zits and blackheads. And if someone doesn't like my plain and natural face, they can look the other way.

• I kind of dislike "Plain and natural" because it can make impressionable teenagers feel like shit. These so called natural girls are usually wearing shit loads of makeup and are photoshoped and deceiving young girls into thinking thats what they look naturally.

At least with the made up look girls can see that its fake and feel its achieveable through online tutorials and practice.

But honestly I prefer the natural makeup look.

• I do feel the pressure to look extremely made-up, and while it sometimes comes in the form of derisive mocking from girls who look like the first two you posted, it usually comes from society-at-large, which tells women that they are not presentable without at least some degree of makeup on their faces (the second girl under your "natural" example is wearing makeup, by the way). So yeah, I wish the less dolled-up look would "come back", in the sense that I wish it were once again socially acceptable, but I also don't feel like anyone should police women's bodies and faces anymore than they have been already doing for hundreds of years by telling them which aesthetic they "should" choose. Just like most women, there are some times I want to fit in, and some times I want to stand out.

To the girls who wear makeup (either a little, or lots of it): you do you. To the girls who don't: not wearing makeup doesn't make you any better on the inside.

• plain and natural! thats how i do it everyday- but i guarantee that those girls with the "no makeup" have makeup on. Their skin tone is too even. No makeup/natural these days= tinted moisturizer, mascara, and like a natural pink lip look- nothing else

• I think that a little concealer wouldn't hurt anyone. You won't be hiding your " natural state" from guys. Come on ladies, we all know that we despise those blemishes left behind. So I would say i'm find with makeup as long as you don't look like a clown.

• The last girl is hardly natural, she looks like she has also filled her eyebrows, put mascara on as well as a smudged eyeliner/eye shadow.

• Can we just erase the work fleek for like ever. So annoying.

I like makeup but yeah it's a little over done. Like moderate make up is good not like over done but keeping it natural no cray cray brows and super red lips or what ever.

• I like and I keep my eyebrows reasonably thin. Most people don't realize that bold eyebrows don't work on everyone eg.- if someone has a small forehead and if they make their eyebrows bold it's going to look ridiculous cause their forehead is going to look even smaller and the eyebrows will just pop too much.

• Plain and natural! I hate the pressure to look like some kind of space alien. I have never even purchased an eyebrow pencil and have no intention of doing so in the future.
    I cannot understand why guys flock after girls who look like that.

• I don't feel unattractively plain in comparison to women who enjoy doing that. I think I look best with no makeup and mostly untouched eyebrows. :P

• Make up doesn't look bad all the time, the first girl is pretty tho. Different people have different preferences, doesn't mean we'll insult them but yeah people over do it, maybe cause thy are insecure about themselves.
    My personal favorite is the natural look, the fourth girl tho, my god she's beautiful.

• Made up takes so much effort. I wear makeup on an almost daily basis but it's super simple. I don't understand why would some girls would want to spend an hour painting on their face in the morning. I have better things to do :) like eat another donut. Or sleep

• How much makeup I wear depends on how i'm feeling. Sometimes I wear that much sometimes I go out wearing none. Either way, I try to always look as natural as possible, unless i'm clubbing or its a night out.

• At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what gunk we put on our faces, we're still beautiful, breathing creatures

• Lol I don't use a lot of make-up and I still seem instagram worthy with my 8000+ followers

• More from Girls
    24