Girls, Why would this girl get mad when I gave my honest opinion about her wearing makeup?

I told her she looked BETTER without it all on. I know her, she spends about an hour daily putting it on, and when we're talking she'll sit there redoing the same thing for hours (one time I timed her, 45 minutes to get her mascara on as we were having a conversation). She still looks cute with it on and all, but one day I asked if she wanted to hang out and she said yeah. I drove to her place and her sister let me in cause she was leaving out. She never said I was in, just told me where she was. I walked to their kitchen to sit and wait and ran into her leaving her bedroom and, surprisingly, no makeup! I told her she looked great without it and she got offended saying she looked terrible and I was just saying that to be nice and stop lying. I told her to relax, she really did look cute without all that stuff caked on and she said thanks but I feel better with it.

So my question is why would she get offended in the first place? I was just being honest, she really did look better without it on. Especially when I take note that she has freckles and without the makeup on, I can see them better and they really are cute on her.

10

Most Helpful Girl

• She wasn't offended, she's just really insecure. Like, she probably just hates her natural beauty and she can't see what you see. She has her mind set on what her image of beauty for herself is, and she might feel like you're mocking her or patronizing her or lying to her.
    She just sounds very insecure of herself, and girls who are insecure are very anxious about what they deem as "imperfections."

• Sounds about right. I did bother to ask her why she wore it so much one day. She just said she felt better with it on and went on about middle school and stuff. So I guess it started there.

• Thanks for the MHO ^_^
      I'm happy to help (:

• No problem

What Girls Said 9

• Girls will always be self conscious. Secretly she probably was happy that you told her you liked her without makeup but even though you do, it doesn't mean she will stop wearing it. If it makes her feel better, it doesn't matter what you say. She probably seemed to take it more offensively then she really did. Im guessing she was embaressed when you saw her without makeup and that was just her reaction. As she gets older she should become more comfortable with herself and will probably wear less makeup.

• She assumed you were lying because apparently she was socialized to believe she is hideous without paint. Next time, make a joke about it and say if she doesn't believe you, you will put some on so she'll find you more attractive. It would be hilarious.

• It's because she takes her time applying her make-up. It clearly means a lot to her. She has an image and make-up is part of that image.

• She's just insecure and embarrassed to have that insecurity spotlighted. You were sweet, she still appreciates it.

• She feels unfomfortable without her makeup on, she hasn't learned to like her bare face yet

• She is very insecure and some one probably hurt her in the past really bad about her looks. Especially if a guy told her she was ugly without makeup. It hard hearing that from a guy. My brother told me that one time it broke my heart. Bc what do you expect for a human.

• It isn't always what you say, it's sometimes how you say it that offends people.

• How does someone take 45 minutes to put on mascara. I put on foundation, powder, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, concealer, and lip gloss in under 15 minutes and it still looks nice.

• She does it in about that time, but when we talk she drags it out.

• girls like make up.