Why does it seem like so many young people are obsessed with piercings and tats?

I mean they do know those things hurt right? And piercings, depending on where they are continue to hurt after you put them in!

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not one of those people

Most Helpful Guy

• I never got into the piercing, but I do have tattoos, I've always been fascinated with them since I was little. I grew up around a bunch of people with tattoos so it's not like its the it thing to me.

• Like one or two, or all out tat sleeve type deals?

• Fuu dog?

I meant more in general.

• Foo-dog, Fuu-dog, Fu-dog it's all the same. It's an ancient mythical creature.

Everyone views it differently, some see's it as art, some do it for religious or cultural purposes, and some do it cause they simply think it's "cool".

What Girls Said 5

• Yes everything hurts really, however I assume it's because it's more widely accepted. And that's the thing, they feel comfortable with expressing their likes and wants so they feel more freely to do so without heaps of people looking at them like an alien lol. Personally I like them for myself because I just do, they're my taste xx

• Self-expression, varying pain tolerances, increased acceptance in polite society, etc.

• Cause piercings and tattoos are awesome... obviously they hurt, the piercings stop hurting after you let them heal and if you clean them properly shortly after getting them

• I had multiple piercings when I was younger, all but one kept hurting, and getting infected despite proper cleaning.

Why are they "awesome"?

• It's a matter of opinion, they look cool... and that's really strange cause I have lots of friends with multiple piercings and I've never heard one of them complain about a piercing

• As someone with multiple piercings...
    It hurts yeah, but you get adrenaline from it so it's really not that bad cx I kind of love the way it feels haha. Some hurt more than others but there aren't any piercings that I wouldn't do again. I love my jewelery and am looking forward to getting tasteful artistic tattoos

• Yea, I had multiple piercings when I was younger so you dont need to downplay it for me.

• We're all just into expressing ourselves more these days I guess. My sister got her first tattoo two days ago and is getting another one sometime soon. I got a nose ring last month.

• Expressing yourelf? How is doing the same thing all your friends are doing expressing yourself?

• I thought expressing oneself ment to portray one's feelings through vocals, writing, a form of art, or behavior. I didn't know it made a difference if everyone else was doing it.. For example, a lot of guys get tattoos when someone they love died. They usually get that person's name, date they died, or something to remember them tatted on them. They're not getting that tattoo because everyone else is doing it.. They're getting it to show their respects or so that they'll always remember them. I know a guy whose mom was killed and he got her face and named tatted on his chest. In his mind it felt right for him to endure that pain and permanent inking for her. Piercings play a big part in some cultures. Maybe people want to go back to their roots. I mean that's why I decided to get my nose ring because I read up about the countries it originated from.

What Guys Said 3

• There are those willing to go that extra bit for fashion and looks.

• Just 'cause they want to.

• It's a rebel thing.

• lol rebelling against what, exactly?

• The norm. Society. "You're not supposed to have those." "Oh yeah? I wanna express myself, I wanna be different from the norm you people live in."