GAG'ers, what kind of socks do you like most?

What I mean is: for guys probably just bare feet or wearing socks. In my case, when I go hiking, that's even always 2 pairs since that's a must in walking shoes.
For the ladies, it will be like: bare feet, socks, nylon knee highs or nylon tigh highs/pantyhose.

For me, the division is about 20% of the time bare feet, 20% with low "summer socks", and the rest with the type of sock you wear under a suit. Black or dark blue.

Reasons why always welcome: climate, comfort, obligation (for example uniform), need to wear protective gear for work,...

Most Helpful Girl

• I like socks that go up to mid-calf and some thigh highs can be good (as long as they're comfy). I have a lot of brightly coloured socks from an old competition with my best friend to have the best socks :P But most of the time I go barefoot.

• Haha tell me about the competition - what did you girls wear than? Socks with "exotic" colors or images on them? Or tigh highs or pantyhose with special colors or patterns?
      Who won most of the time - you of course hahaha 8)

• I liked the "socks competition" idea... MH is all yours :D

What Girls Said 15

• I have short socks
    and I wear my dad's longer socks too

I used to wear the shorter socks but my feet started to bleed in them once I got new shoes so now I wear my dad's socks since they are longer. I plan on buying more long socks either this month or next since I only have 2 pairs of long socks that I use over and over again.

• How do short or long socks make the difference in terms of you feet hurting? Are the shoes boots or so?
      Take care of your feet, you only have 1 pair and always walking around with painful feet is so uncomfortable :o

• the short socks force my ankles to push against the edge of the shoe causing them to bleed with excessive nudging while the longer socks protect my ankles from the edge of the shoe but with too much walking - my feet may still bleed.

• I wear ankle socks day to day and have knee socks for when I wear boots or it's really freaking cold.

• Haha knee socks for freaking cold weather... I wonder how freaking cold that would be?
      The interesting thing about this question that obviously it depends on the climate... and to someone from Southern California +45°F may be ice cold.
      Here in Belgium, ice cold would be between +5°F and +25°F 8)

• For me it's anything below freezing. I live in a really temperate climate. It is interesting to see though!

• Yeah that's the interesting thing about general questions: you always read very interesting things.
      In this case, fashion, personal preference, climate, obligation... can all play their roles and you read things you'd never expect.
      Plus some always answer such question with a healthy sence of humour making them even nicer :-)

• I wear ankle socks in the summer, knee socks and leg warmers in the winter

Sorry I just saw the opportunity
    www.google.com/search

• Haha it's funny but when I hear about "leg warmers" the first thing I think about are sportsmen. For example cyclists often use them in cold weather. When it gets warmer than, they can remove them and continue the race bare legs :D

• Hahaha I have a system I wear fuzzy knees socks and if I have to leg warmers and then put winter boots over them

• Interesting... if you find a similar look on google post a pic... it's difficult to imagine what it would look like!

• I like wool socks, they are comfy. In the winter knee highs over leggings lol. Sometimes I wear tights though.

• Haha you know what makes me wonder what it looks like? You say "knee highs OVER leggings"... all girls I've seen in such outfit wore them UNDER the leggings.
      What I have seen once (and did a quick google to find similar pics) was a girl wearing low white socks over black pantyhose. This is about the only pic I could find...
      lipstalk.files.wordpress.com/.../sam4.jpg

• Plain white ankle socks for me.

• Haha I see :-)
      Are they fine year round where you live? I can imagine, in the Southern USA the answer would be yes...
      Here in Belgium the range of temperaturs goes from -15°C in your coldest winter night (5°F) to about 35°C (95°F) on your hottest summer day...
      That requires a flexible assortment - the average lady here adapts by switching from bare feet in sandals in the summer to thick pantyhose in winter boots in the winter :-)

• Haha of course, that what makes these general questions so interesting :D
      You always read reasons for choices you'd never expect... and my knowledge of fashion is that of a male... very limited 8)

• haha oh I see! But yeah, everyone wears whatever they want, whenever they want.

• I don't like socks

• Is wearing sandals on bear feet common in Pakistan?
      From the countries in the Arab world I visited (Turkey, Egypt) I remember that most ladies did indeed not wear any socks and sandals were everywhere...

• Hahah... yes.. best to vist in February or march.. it is too cold in December and January

• I'll bear that in mind :D

• Thin footies if I must

• I guess the moral of the story is that in your climate it's often not necessarry?
      I had to do a quick google for "footies" though I could guess what they would be. By coincidence I'm wearing a pair myself :-)

• Maybe... on that occasion the distance was too large... it would have taken us 10 hours to drive up-and-down and perhaps 2 hours to visit :o

• Yeah its pretty far from those places xD

• Just ankle socks, even in the winter.

• I see... you must be pretty resistant to the cold than... with only ankle socks in winter I'd have too ice lollies starting below the knee 8) 8)

• Personally I prefer none. In winter just lite ones.

• Oh my goodness, you must have feet with built-in heating? In -30°C I'd think you'd need either very warm fleece socks or two pairs... in snow boots...
      Sjeez if I'd do that you'd have to get me to hospital to treat my frozen toes :o :o

• Haha I'm jealous :D
      You'd be walking with flip flops besides me with snow boots 8)

• No I'm not quite that hot blooded. lol hahahaha

• White ankle socks. I'm always wearing them.

• Sounds nice :-)
      You don't need to choose a warmer solution some times of the year? I guess in most places in Canada the winters will be colder than in Belgium... here about -15°C to -20°C would be the coldest nights of the year.

• For me it all depends on the season. I wear ankle socks when it's cold but not too cold, knee socks which I wear with boots when it's freezing, thigh highs when it's like spring (so I can feel sexy), and in summer I don't wear socks.

• I don't wear socks. I either go barefoot or wear sandals.

• Haha, do you do that in winter time as well? Or living in a warm climate?
      I must say, in primary school I used to have a teacher who wore sandels year round - inside & outside :D

• I do. I work indoors so it's OK.

I have some snowboots that I put on if it's snowing, then once I'm at work I take them off & put on my sandals.

• Plain black socks, so I don't have to look for the other pair when in a rush.

• That's a good reason... most males think like that, guilty 8)

• Trainer socks ftw

• You mean like sports socks (ankle socks for example)?
      Oh sorry if "trainer socks" is a common English word, I'm from Belgium so English is not my mother tongue :-)

• Yeah, like ankle socks. I don't even know if it's an English thing, but we all say it where I'm from

• No show socks.

Knee high socks (sort of same one as no show socks)

• Oops... what are no show socks? Very thin, skin color pantyhose? Or very low socks?
      Or are they those very low sock in the same nylon material as knee highs, but which "disappear into the shoe"?

• Very thin , skin color pantyhose

• I see - I learned something here :-)

What Guys Said 8

• I like wearing really low socks when I can get away with it. For example, I'll wear some no shows with my Vans:

www.blacksocks.com/.../sy_1800px_1800px.jpg

And if I'm hiking or wearing an athletic shoe, then I like wearing low cut, like these:

media.kohls.com.edgesuite.net/.../755306

I also forego socks quite often and wear leather sandals. And in pants, I like to wear dark crew socks.

• Yeah when nature (or the ladies...) will forgive it I use exactly the same strategy Dodgers :-)

• I've just made a rare exception... since some fierce thunderstorms are in the process of blowing away the bad weather. Temperature is down to just +15°C (+59°F)... it used to be nice summer weather till yesterday.
      So the sock need to be a little warmer when I'll move out in 5 minutes!
      Speak to you later :-)

• Good luck out there, Hans!

• I am at home most of the time so barefoot since I do a fair bit of sports my sock collection is about 30 pairs of black sports socks.

• I prefer white for the summer, black absorbs too much heat.
      I'd rather wear black or dark blue under a suit or jeans, in the colder times of the year (wearing white under a suit makes the girls look like "oh no...").

• I've got standard socks, winter socks and slippers my grandmother knitted me, that's what works for me lol.

• Always the same color: it makes for less widows in the socks drawer.

• Haha good idea... I noticed that my mom uses that technique with nylon knee highs.
      She'll by 10 identical pairs and can than always throw away just the sock that is ruined :-)

• i go barefoot since it's summer... i wear socks only in winter... they r gray usually LOL

• I generally go barefoot inside in the summer, and when I only need to go out for shorter distances generally bare feet in sports shoes.
      However when the walking distances become longer I prefer socks to prevent painful feet :-)

• hahahhaha i walk long distances either wearin flip-flops or sailor shoes barefoot... and my feet r still ok :D

• Haha I sound like an amateur :-)

• I totally read this as stocks.

• Whatever's comfortable.

• The ones that you put on your feet and you are happy because its not cold anymore.

• Haha that's a nice general answer :-)
      You have talents to become a politician, for sure 8)