Why are people so judgmental on people with piercings and tattoos?

As an elementary school teacher (3rd grade), parents always are frightened to see that I (me in the pic) am going to be teaching their kids and say that I am a bad image for their children. Why is this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Social stereotype really and then parents are always protective with their kids so they can easily take said stereotypes to heart and maybe be extra prejudiced when it comes to their kids in general.

But I think girls with piercings and tattoos are hot so at least you've go that going for you if anything :)

Most Helpful Girl

• People are always looking for ways to judge. Anything that shies away from societal norms and ideals, tends to scare them.
    If I wasn't in the career field I'm in, I'd be covered in piercings- but I have to keep them discreet, because I want to progress in this field. Unfortunately, your outer appearance can deter others from taking you seriously :/

What Guys Said 11

• Even if some would like to think that in 2015, appearance doesn't matter, I think they're wrong. It does speak about who you are to other people. What I see is an extreme personality that is mainly black or white. Not many shades of gray here. Nothing about your look is subtle. You look like somebody who will tell someone unadulterated truth without caring for their emotions. It makes me think that you are probably the kind of person who takes decisions too fast without really thinking about the consequences. As a man, I could imagine hooking up with you, but I could not see myself in a long term relationship with you.
    Maybe all I am saying is not true, maybe you're a lamb and a really cool, caring girl,
    but it's still my first impression about you and first impressions leave a lasting after taste. If I was to meet you in real life, I would give you a chance to know you better, but it would be difficult for me to leave my kids in your custody before I really had a chance to know you.

• Appearance matters. Your clothes, your makeup (or lack thereof), your haircut, all those things are chosen for "personal reasons" to send a message. Do you wear revealing clothes? - You probably like to have people admire your body. Do you wear no makeup? -You're probably trying to signal that you reject sexual stereotypes. Do you wear a suit and tie? -You are trying to fit into the corporate culture. If clothes didn't mean anything, we'd all wear the same thing. In prison or the army they give you uniform clothes, not just to make it harder for you to sneak out, but also as a way of saying, "You're not an individual - you're just one of many. Same with tattoos and piercings. You got them to make a statement. Many people associate the statement you're making with bad things.

• because most people like you are the self mutilators. teenagers cutting at young age. Any one that looks like this in their late 20's are usually fucked up and wasted potential. I had my ears gauged to 0. lip pierced and eyebrow pierced, but then I grew up. Got an office job when I realized my band would never make it big. Even if it is stupid to judge, facts are simple, It's very hard to get a good job with that shit in. Knowing that, why would anyone try to make it harder for themselves. You're going to encourage those children to go home and shove needles in there face. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm trying to give you constructive criticism. You're attractive and I can tell you are very gorgeous without all that. You might see things different in a few years. You're still young

• It looks trashy and gives off an image of being classless

• Tats and piercings are very often a sign of shortsightedness and poor impulse control, especially when someone has a lot of them and many are fad styles. Poor impulse control calls judgment skills into question.

• Jesus Christ I jumped when I saw your picture

• You look like you'd want my kids soul lol

• people are always judgmental of anything that goes against the norms

• Diversity acceptance is not a huge thing in America. They also don't understand you, and not understanding makes them afraid, then they are ashamed of being afraid and lash out. That's just one string on this, but since you've chosen to go against the "norm" get used to it. It's their hangups, they just don't know it.

• You look like you have really long nose hair.

• For the same reasons I don't let my kids watch reality shows.
    I don't want them to get the impression, that acting or looking like a freak will help them in their future lives.

Now, Im sure you're a sweet, nice and caring person... and I even see a pretty girl behind the metal junk and the horrific ink.
    The piercings I can sort of deal with... they can be removed and the holes can be healed.
    But whenever I see a pretty girl with sleeves, it just makes me want to puke, because it looks horrible.

Let me be clear, it has nothing to do with you personally... I just can't stand the look. Sorry.

What Girls Said 4

• Some people are just overly judgmental or bigoted. It projects an image of altered normality to their children, which to them is different or threatening, but in reality is just artistic or creative diversity. Plus their kids are going to have a punk or goth phase eventually right? LOL

You look wonderful with those peircings, and I truly wonder what the whole tattoo on your arm looks like because it is amazing!

• Most people can't stand others who don't look squeaky clean. So tattoos and piercings come off as that person is bad and has a shitty personality. Which is dumb but that's just how some people think. They judge a book by it's cover.

• Because a lot of people are judgmental assholes and are afraid of anything that is "different" from the norm. Fear can bring out the worst in people.

• I think ur cool. it's just how different people are and what they think. Don't mind them , you're beautiful..