How much makeup is too much makeup?

So my usual routine is some nude colored eye shadow, winged eyeliner, and a tiny bit of foundation and blush on my cheekbones. The whole process takes a grand total of 10 -12 minutes. Honestly I thought I used a very small amount of makeup compared to, well, everyone else, but one day a few of my friends (not best friends) ganged up on me and were borderline making fun me, telling me I try too hard and etc. I don't know if it's jealousy or just cattiness but, that's what they did. This caused me to question how much makeup I wear. So how does what I use sound. I mean nothing is caked on my face. I use a very thin foundation, and honestly I usually only use it 1-2 times a week. Sometimes I don't even wear eye shadow either. Do I wear too much or were they just being catty?
There is no photo because I don't feel comfortable posting a pic of myself on an anonymous internet site.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think lipstick and eyeshadow messes up the color balance, and any mascara on the lower eyelashes makes people look like they have spiders for eyes. Blush is just weird, and bronzer makes you look like an oompaloompa. Eyeliner is... Okay-ish.

• Oh my goodness hiw do you know so much about makeup?

• Lol @ "spiders for eyes"

• Haha, yeah, sometimes I feel like that too. :p

Most Helpful Girl

• really depends on a persons face

People tell me i have a really natural beauty type look, delicate features. Most days i go out without makeup.

I only really wear mascara and lipstick, sometimes bb cream. I've tried the dolled up look but i look horrendous. MY face literally just cannot handle it

• some people really suit the dolled up look, and look not as good without

you're either a natural beauty or a glam girl, basically

although some do work both

What Guys Said 8

• OK, make-up is fine, if it was not, there would be a lot of big businesses out of business, yes? I note you are quite young, so maybe just searching for that balance. I am quite old, but in my time I have been out with girls that looked stunning when dressed up, but a bag of spare parts in the cold light of day. Disappointing to say the least. Use make-up to just enhance your features, but do not overdo it. Be happy with your looks, and do not worry about "Catty" girls commenting - often that is out of pure jealousy. Hopefully you can live your life with a little freedom until you finally settle down with a life-partner. Remember one thing, they will see you in the early morning rubbing your eyes and grabbing a coffee. No amount of make-up will hide that. Good luck!

• Mascara is enough for anyone. Maybe concealer if you have a lot of blemishes...

But yeah everything else is pretty unnecessary.

• That sounds fine. Full on glam is when it's to much.

• if it makes you happy thats all that matters, but you dont NEED it =) only if you want

• Makeup is too much make-up

• If you can see the makeup, it's too much/wrong makeup. The point of makeup is to fool people into thinking you natural look is better than it is.

• If the colours of your face are out of proportion, you overdid it.

• I think any makeup is too much makeup

What Girls Said 17

• They're being catty. Oh no. Heaven forbid a girl care about her appearance and wear makeup. Df they care for with their jealous asses

• I think what your wearing is fine. Maybe your friends just wanted to create some drama or maybe they were just being stupid, so don't take it to hard.
    Also, trust your instinct. If you think it is too much maybe it is. And if you want to be bold go for it. Just go with what brigs out your beauty.
    And maybe try some different combinations each day, and change it up a bit. Maybe you will find a new style you like.

• too much is when it looks blatantly obvious to a point where i feel like her pores are yelling "HELP US PLEASE!"

• When I wear foundation it's an extremely thin layer because I find the feeling disgusting when there is too much, and I mainly only use it to cover up blemishes.

• same girl. i salute, yet also pity the girls who are bothered putting on a FULL face of makeup almost everyday.

• Unless you look like a completely different person, it's not too much. Tell them to shove it.

• It honestly doesn't, and I was so shocked that idek what to say.

• Too much makeup is when you have more than one eye shadow especially if one of them is dark, eye pencil in your water and the winged liner. Heavy eye makeup alone gives an illusion of too much makeup. The way you do your eye makeup that consists only nude eye shadow and eye liner is good for special occasions.
    Foundation, contouring, blush, and lipstick don't give me that illusion of too much makeup that heavy eye makeup gives. To me face & lip makeup enhance the face, eye makeup paints the face.
    In conclusion, heavy eye makeup = too much makeup.

• That's not too much. Tell your friends to take a hike.

• Is the blush a deep hue like very pink or wine colored? Because those shades can be a bit. much for just going to school to learn, and seem more appropriate for going out on a weekend. However it's not their place to tell you and they were immature/rude about it for sure.
    "Keep your best friends close keep your enemies closer."

• That's nowhere near too much. I'd say they were just being bitches.

I wear a hell of a lot more on a daily basis. Primer, foundation, concealer, tinted powder, translucent powder to set, neutral or pale pink eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, eyebrow pencil/mascara, and usually lip liner and lipstick.

Don't worry, and wear what makes you happy.

• I just curl mylashes & put mascara on. I think you're putting too much on for it to be considered an "everyday" thing...

You're stressin your pores at an early age.

• But like I said I use foundation like 1-2 a week and that's mainly when I have blemishes, and I have naturally very dry skin, so the foundation actually helps moisturize, not to mention have like 30 spf.

• If that works for you & you like the amount of makeup you wear, just keep doing what you're doing.

• It depends on where you go.

In my school, the amount that you put is not considered too much.

Except the blush maybe.
    I haven't seen any girls wearing blush.

• They were probably just jealous of you or maybe they mean your manners are too insecure / afraid.

• Honestly I am in no way insecure, I have had people come up to me and tell me how they can just tell im confident by the way I walk, make eye contact etc.

• It's too much when it doesn't look natural, in my opinion

• In my opinion, if makeup is covering your whole face, its way too much. Its like a mask. I don't wear makeup at all. Im more of a like natural beauty type.

• No you're definitely fine. Theyre probably just jealous because you probably do your makeup better than theirs. Keep doing whatever you like:)

• I wear eyeliner and lipstick or lip strainers

• If you manage to look like a clown, it is way too much. However, you are under 18. I doubt you really need it.