Do the clothes really make the man?

It seems like I'm always reading on here that the first thing a woman judges a man on when she sees him is what he's wearing. Is this really the case? My entire wardrobe consists of random, cheap t-shirts and off-brand jeans. Does this immediately put me at a disadvantage to the guy who wears $70 t-shirts from Abercrombie and $200 pre-ripped blue jeans? Assuming that I'm clean-cut and well-kept in the other aspects of my appearance, and that I have only as much fashion sense as it takes to know not to wear green with orange, am I doing myself a disservice by not dropping an entire paycheck on one outfit?

Most Helpful Girl

• A guy can wear the latest pair of jeans, the latest brand name tee, the best sneakers available - but, if he is a jerk he is jerk and nothing will change that. It is important to wear clothes that fit properly and look neat and clean. Yes, you can wear a Lacoste dress shirt with a little alligator in the corner for $200 (or whatever), but you can also find yourself a perfectly decent button for $20 that fits well, is clean and ironed. Brands names 'stand in' for other things. We think of brand names we associate it them with certain characteristics/traits that we even ascribe to real 'human' things. The main thing is to wear clothes fit your body type (I recommend you read "What Not Wear" by Stacey & Clinton) - they have excellent tips on how to dress for your body type. You do not have to wear brand names -- for everyday clothes its clean, neat, and right fit that matters the most. Wear colour shades that reflect your skin tone is also important. The best thing to always, at least I find is to keep it simple and always add on an accessory (ie. Funky tie, shoes etc). You just have to know how to put it together. Some of the outfits I have received greatest compliments on have cost me like $40. Always, wear everything with a sense of confidence. Brand names cannot stand in for you are. People who use them to stand in for other things have no confidence in themselves.

• I should note, on dressier occasions sometimes spending a bit name for quality pays-off. Usually designer labels construct better clothes (i. E better cut, unique design, quality materials). For everyday wear find something that looks good. Always take your time. Find clothing stores that reflect your style, price range, and body type. I only shop at about 3 stores (they suit my body type, style, and price range). Always try clothes on before buying. I think it's better to shop alone!

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think the clothes necessarily make the man, unless he's walking around in some scrappy, ripped up clothing. I highly doubt that most women would notice the difference between a $70 shirt and a $10 shirt, the same goes for the jeans. I know I can't tell the difference.

Jeans and t-shirt are just that. As long as you keep yourself clean cut and well kept as you described then, I really don't think you will have a problem. And if a woman doesn't like you because of the price of the clothing you are wearing, then she is probably not the type of woman you want to be with in the first place.

• I think it depends on how compfortable a guy looks in what he's wearing. If your a cheap t-shirts and off-brand jeans then you'll probably fell uncomfortable in something more expensive and you'll probably look it too which is not going to attract the ladies!

Be yourself, wear what you want, it's what you wear not how much it costs (afterall who can tell the difference in the price of a plain black shirt) and if a girl doesn't agree then she's obviously more interested in your bank balance than you!

• Everyone pretty much said everything that I had on my mind lol and I agree with the answers. Clothes are a HUGE impression for a girl. I am more likely to be attracted to a guy who looks good in what he's wearing then a guy who has no "style sense" of any level. But that doesn't mean you have to have clothes that are 300 bucks! Even my clothes aren't that expensive. They are just clothes. Not a freakin' money tree. Point being, wear clothes that are decent with a decent price! If you buy jeans that are $200. Doesn't mean I'd know that when you are wearing it for appealing purposes. You know? Its vice versa. If I am wearing a top that's 200 dollars. You'd probably won't even care as long as I look good in it.

Just look good in what you wear and you'll be awesome!

• It's true to some extent that every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man , but I don't like it when he looks better than me. It seems a bit irresponsible to spend 300 bucks on an outfit. As long he doesn't look like he just went dumpster diving, he could get his clothes at walmart for all I care!

• As long as he looks nice it doesn't matter, at least in my case. I think it's a bad idea to spend a paycheck on one pair of jeans or an outfit. As long as your clothes aren't ripped to shreds or covered in stains, it's about how you wear them :)

What Guys Said 4

• Your clothes will be a HUGE part of your first impression. However, that doesn't mean that you have to be in the most expensive threads or the latest styles. It means that you should focus on clothes that: a) match well with each other, b) fit well and complement your physique, and most importantly c) give a good indication of your personality. If you're a laid back person, don't wear armani suits. Sure they look good, but that's not the type of personality you have, so it would give the wrong impression. If you're wearing a clean t shirt and jeans that can still be a great look as long as they fit you well and match with each other. Most of all, that will best represent your personality and ultimately attract the right types of girls for you.

• You don't need to be wearing a $1000 suit, but being well groomed and wearing nice fitting clothing appropriate for your age is a HUGE deal for most women. Having a well put together wardrobe shows social calibration and savvy, and that indicates high social value (which is generally what women are attracted to more than anything else).

• Believe me or not, the $400 Allen Edmonds it feel and look better then payless. however, nothing beat a $10 wife beater, after all fit and neatness makes a difference.

• I hope not otherwise I'm really materialistic. Most of my clothes have the names of restaurants, clubs, banks, radio stations, or apartment complexes on them. I'm in college and they give out like 3 t-shirts a week.