Girls, is it important to have an "style" identity?

Do you know what I mean? Some high school girls are sporty, some are really formal, some are goths... I'm generic. lol. But, I thought about myself and what makes me unique is that love snowboarding!

If started dressing like a snowboard chick for school, would that give me an identity? Could that be my "thing"?

Here is an example of the style I'm thinking of!

http://i.imgur.com/MctKctn.jpg

32

Most Helpful Girl

• I think style should be a reflection of your thoughts, your interests, your taste, not something your force yourself to have.
    Dress the way you want, picking clothes you like, but I think forcing yourself into a stereotype is useless. You'll build your identity by getting to know what you really like and what you don't, but not only regarding clothes, of course, I mean in general.

• Yeah I feel that way exactly! The thing is, I do love snowboarding and skiing, so it's a real feeling. I just never expressed it, or made it known. I kinda want people to start noticing me, and this is a sincere identity! I'm wondering if I should change my wardrobe to reflect that, I mean I already have a ton of ski/snowboarding clothes to start with!

• Here is a good example of the style I'm thinking of, what do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/MctKctn.jpg

• I know people can't see that from accross the hall... but you'll end up seeing that, in the end, that doesn't really matter either. In the meantime, you need you make your own experience and dress the way you like and try out different styles. You'll find your identity eventually, and the clothes that suit you best. :D

What Girls Said 31

• I don't think people should restrict themselves to labels. Be yourself, and just do what comes naturally. It's okay to have a blended style that includes many different things.

The people I have found most interesting have been those who always surprise me. My boyfriend for instance. He's really into cars, and is very hands on. However, he loves Starbucks, pampering himself and cooking too. I'm always surprised by things that interest him because he doesn't just stick to one thing.

I find when you latch on to a specific identity, and try to mold yourself into that stereotype it can be really limiting for you as a person.

• I thought it wasn't... but as it turns out it is.
    I hate to admit it but it's obviously people look at others superficially - in job interviews, in stores, at the doctors (well... that one makes sense xD)...
    So it is important.
    It's not the most important thing in the world, but it's important.

- Not in a way where you stick to a certain thing and become labeled, but in a way that you care about the way you dress and what kind of a message your clothing sends to others.

'Snowboard chick' - what's that?
    Is it always winter where you live? If not I can't see how that can be your style identifier.

• I think it's okay to have a style, but it's not necessary and sometimes it can have negative effects. Mostly because your style evolves and changes over time, if you are known as like the sporty chic and one day you just feel like changing things up and come to school in like a floral dress, it can at times have the negative effect of making any none sporty fashion choices seem disingenuous or like you are trying to change who you are for whatever reason. Basically, if you give yourself a stereotype and reinforce it as your public persona, people can get pissed when you deviate from that persona. So be careful.

• You can dress whatever you want. I choose clothes that are conservative, comfortable, pretty and cheap.

• Oh what it is to be a teenage girl, I'm 32 and wouldn't be a teen again to save my life teen years are so confusing. But to answer your question, I say dress how you want and what makes you comfortable and feel good about YOU you don't need a style identity, who you are makes your identity. You never need one particular style to be you. .. be different than others, that's what makes you stand out and unique. If you feel like dressing girlie... go for it... sporty. .. go for it... dress down... do it. After high school is over you will realize none of the things that worry you now ever mattered and trust me when I say that the quote on quote popular crew won't have as thrilling of a life after graduation. Be you and love you and the rest will fall into place... I promise

• What IS important is simply how you feel. Are you comfortable in what you're wearing? Do you like what you wear? Your opinion is truly the only one that matters when it comes to what you wear. Plain & simple. Never forget that.

• You don't need an identity. IN highschool, everyone's got some sort of clique. I think it's because teenagers are really just trying to find out who they are, so they try to identify themselves as something to give them a sense of identity. Goths, jocks, stoners, music heads, nerds etc. Then everyone grows up and realizes that they're just them and they don't need to be anything other than themselves. You'll be fine. Besides, I don't know how you could really dress in snowboarding gear for school! But you could wear beanies and stuff. :)

• LOL. Honestly? I don't think so. I don't care if people think I dress up too much, look preppy, look trashy, or whatever. Middle finger to everyone who expects me to do something for them.

• Nah, style identity isn't important. What's important is that you wear what you feel like wearing: if it's sweats, then wear sweats; if it's dresses, then wear dresses. You get my point. If you want to dress like a snowboarder, then do it, but don't do it because you feel obliged to label your style- wear because you like it.

• Don't label yourself. Be and wear whatever you want.

• Labels suck, you should just wear whatever you like.

People who consciously keep a style in mind and follow it are posers, you do your own thing! People will like you for who you are, dear. You don't need to make a statement about your personality in your clothes but if you want to once in a while, I see no harm.

• If your wanting more friends who might potentially be into snowboarding them sure if that's what you want. To fit in with a certain crowd? But I don't think you have to limit yourself. If your just trying to find a label to wear to look cool, I don't think that's good. Be what you want because you want to be, not because it looks 'cool'. If The snowboard style is really your style then wear it.

It's s a tough one, maybe you should just hint that your into tgst sport or join a club that's into it.

• Yes, It could be "your thing" but do you really need an "identity", a "stereotype" to be judged and ridiculed over?

• You mean first impression. I think it is important and it took me a long time to find my style. In my high school, I wanted to be a fashion girl, or a funny girl hanging out with lots of friends, or a popular one. But It was not me. As getting older, I find the style coming from inside, and can be more confident. Specifically, Your style comes from what you think about yourself, your work, people, and the world. You know Alex in 'modern family'? Although she is not popular or pretty like Haley, she also has her style, Right? Think about yourself and the world, not others' opinion. 加油!

• No. You can dress like whatever you want, express yourself through your Outfit. You don't have to label yourself

• Honestly, I don't think it's important in the least. I didn't have a style identity at school, though granted, it's pointless when you have to wear a uniform.
    Wear whatever you like, and are comfortable in.

• Yeah I'm into heavy layering

everycollegegirl.com/.../layering.jpg

It's a sick obsession of mine lolol

• Ughh your spelling bothers me. It's "a" style identity. You only use "an" before a word starting with a vowel. Get it together girl.

And yeah, I always make sure I look fresh as fuck.

• Well hun, You don't need a "Style" identity... Be yourself and dress the way you choose and want to dress (: that's your style identity! Don't identify yourself as something or label yourself as something... Its not fun trust me just don't do it. Once again live life as yourself and wear what you wanna wear. If you label yourself all you're gonna worry about is staying with that labeled category and that's gonna take away the fun in your highschool years☺

• I feel like it's not. I don't care if people call me generic or goth, I just wear why I like and it's either black clothes or generic stuff.

• Yeah.. I just wore jeans and a t-shirt with my hair in a ponytail.

• Just do you honey

• It would, but it would probably limit your social groups. Not sure if you'd like that, but if you're cool with that, then go ahead.

• The style identity of what you should have is what kinda style you like! Lol simple I know :)

• I don't think you need a "thing". Just you do you and the right kind of people will except you for that

• I have a different style every month haha!

• I don't think so.

• Make some nazzi style or black power or something

• I didn't really care about this in high school. I was more focused on books and ideas, my character and what I believed in.

Then again, I also went to an all girls private school and we had to wear uniforms. My style is lightyears better than it was when I was in high school. (I'm 25) But I think thats normal. I look back at how I dressed in high school and cringe. Style is important to me these days. I love fashion and choosing my specific way to dress. And in a time when I'm networking and building my career, I'd say style is pretty powerful in first impressions. "You never know who you're going to meet." Even my laid back days look much more stylish than they used to.

But back to you. I don't think you should try to dress like anything. Be you. If you like something, wear it. Think of what reflects your personality and interests, your passion. What makes you unique. I think in high school there's more freedom to really do whatever you want, as opposed to being an adult in the professional world. Experiment with hair styles and clothing styles. You don't need to fit into one box forever. Your style can change and grow with you. You will feel a satisfaction in your uniqueness. Although, I will say that young people are some of the cruelest people, and depending on how far outside the box you go, some people may give you stupid comments. Ignore them and do you.

• i'm a fashion design student and dress however that you think represents you. But dressing up like a snowboarding chick all year round is a bit silly, dont you think?
    How to create your own style? Go to your wardrobe.. pick out stuff that you feel the most comfortable and stylish in. and you can from there mix and match your clothing.
    You don't have to fall under a style category. Just be your own category. Like me.. i dont have a definite style to my dressing. some days i dress cute, feminine and boyish. it all depends on how i am feeling on that day. and yet my lecturers and friends always compliment the way i dress and mix match.

• Did you see the link to the pictures? What do you think of them? I'm taking your advice and want to create my own style, and nobody else is dresses like that and it says "me"

• More from Girls
    1