Is it rude for a guy to comment on a girl's outfit?

A guy friend of mine tells me that I should not wear my glasses and when we were both at a casual party, he was like "why aren't you wearing a dress?" (no other girls were wearing a dress)

Most Helpful Guy

• Either he is a real friend who is telling you what he thinks would be good for you. Or he likes you and is telling you what he would like to see.

• If he likes me, should he just expect that I would change myself for him though?

• So you think he probably said it to see how I would react and what opinion I would give?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds, like he just wants you to dress how he wants you too. Its a form of control

My boyfriend likes me in a dress, but he will say "I love you in a dress" or "You look great in a dress" he never tells me to wear one, and does not complain if I rock up in jeans and a t shirt.

Tell him, you know what he likes but you will wear what you want, when you want.
    If he does not like it, find another boyfriend.

What Guys Said 4

• If it is negative - Yes it is rude even if it can be seen as constructive criticism is still too far - You asked this question so you were hurt by what he said so he should think more about his social boundaries.

• Friends should comment but not someone you barely know.

• I think the first comment was to say that you look better without glasses, and the second sounds like he was surprised that you're not wearing glasses, as he seems to think you need on account he sees you wearing them most of the time.

• I'm confused. the second comment was about a dress not about glasses?

• Why should it be rude when all you girls do is asking for How do I look opinions?

• I don't ask guys that. not all girls do.

What Girls Said 1

• I think it is!