What should a girl wear on a first date?

Please feel free to elaborate.

Such as...What kind of dress? Which kinds of tops? What kind of shoes are best to fit your choice? etc.

• Jeans and a T-shirt
  • Jeans and nice shirt/blouse
  • Not jeans pants and nice top
  • Skirt and nice top
  • Dress

Most Helpful Guy

• I didn't vote, because I have no idea what you're like.

Wear what I would wear on a date; whatever I feel like wearing. If I show up to a wedding wearing a tailored tuxedo or to a business meeting wearing a $2,000 suit, I look great, and the moment requires you to be fake and look a certain way. Now, if I wear those on a date, technically, I still look "good" in a textbook definition kind of way, but realistically, I look totally ridiculous.

The reason you're dating is to find someone you like. Not someone who's pretending to be someone you like, not someone who's trying to be someone you like, but someone who actually is someone you like.

If you're a blue person, maybe you like red people. There's no point in a green person trying to act or look like a red person because they like blue people and know you like red people. That may work temporarily in the short-run, but one of two things will have to eventually happen:

1. The green person will actually discover they really are a red person, or;

2. You will discover who you thought was a red person, is actually a green person

I think the point I'm trying to make is that you have an identity. Maybe you're a rocker, maybe you're a loner, maybe you're a sophisticated philosopher type, a cultured and refined type, a shy type, or a "fun & flirty" type. Whatever you are, you have a certain identity for yourself.

How awkward would it be to go on a date with a lawyer who is cultured and educated, refined, preppy and well-spoken, and him to look like marilyn manson smoking weed? Or how awkward would it be to go on a date with a hardcore goth/rocker type who is dressed all preppy, was a walking stick in one hand and sipping a martini or wine with the other? The person's actual identity and the way they present themselves clash. But more importantly, unless that person is an actor playing a comical part in a movie; they will be uncomfortable playing a role other than their own self.

If you feel like wearing jeans & a t-shirt; go for it. If you feel like wearing dress pants & a nice top, do it. Skirt? Sure! High heels, short belly shirt, low-cut tight jeans, neon thong underwear, push-up bra & make-up? If that's who you are, then why not?

What are you afraid of? That you won't look good? That you won't be sexy? That he wouldn't like you because of how you dress or look? Okay? So what? Next! Wouldn't it be funny if you dress & aim to look a certain way, and a guy who would love the way you REALLY are doesn't get to see that and never has the chance to get to like you and feel attracted to you for who you really are?

You're only cheating yourself when you try and be anyone else but yourself. I know it sounds cliche', but it's the truth. All of those things can look good and be sexy, even the last look; for as long as it's you.

Other than that, it doesn't matter what you're wearing or how you look like; seriously.

What Guys Said 30

• Dress as casual as you can get away with while still looking like you took care of yourself getting ready. Dress for the occasion. Dressing like you're going out to the prom or a five star restaurant when you're going someplace more casual does nothing but make you look bad.

Jeans and a nice shirt/blouse is probably the best combination you mentioned in your options. The skirt is iffy but can work depending on the occasion and the time of year. The not jeans pants and nice top is way too dressy for any place I'd want to go on a first date and Jeans and a T-shirt is too far to the opposite end of the spectrum.

Rule of thumb I'd follow is to dress as casual as you can get away with without looking like a scrub.

• The thing most guys look for is to see if the girl looks better than we do. Which you are supposed to look better but don't make us look like trash in comparrison. Guys want the girl to feel comfortable but presentable. Don't freak if you can't find the perfect shoes or the perfect color nails. Sry ladies but guys barely ever care about your shoes. It's sad and mean, but true. Best 2 things we look at is your hair and your top. If you can't decide then just ask him what kind of things he enjoys and do your best from there. Always remember, COMMUNICATION IS KEY. Good luck girls, hope I helped. =D

• What about a nice butt in jeans? from my experience I can tell they notice that too haha

• It depends on what the date is. Different clothes are appropriate for different occasions. Even if your going out for dinner it depends on the place that you go to.

• she should look and feel comfortable. a nice blouse and jeans is versatile too. wearing a dress might be a little much and jeans and a tee might not be enough. it also depends on how long you've known each other and where the date is. I cast my vote as jeans and a blouse.

• Maybe because I"m Italian, a girl should wear something that shows off her behind...Sorry, PC people..

• This question is biased. a "Nice" shirt/blouse, "nice" top etc. It's like you want people to pick those answers.

• My style is to keep first dates brief and very casual, long enough for us to decide whether there will be a second date, and not much longer.

Jeans work fine, a skirt is nice. Overdressing would be puzzling given my typical venues (bar/cafe/lunchtime deli) but not a dealbreaker. Tomboys, tramps, rockers, and weirdos get style points.

• I think the most comfortable thing is always the best, but if you want a specific thing I'll give it a shot.

Formal - Black dress, low cut but not too revealing, 2-4 inch heals and probably a warm coat that matches

Semi-Formal - Black dress (it's good for almost any situation), heals and/or flats and the same coat.

Semi-Casual and Casual - Jeans and a low cut shirt (not too revealing), comfy shoes and a nice jacket.

• if your just going to the cinema then just comfortable clothes, but ANYOTHER first date idea, you should dress up and so should he to show that you both care about your appearance. I voted for skirt and nice top.

• Of course this goes without saying, but it would depend on the occasion. If it were an ordinary first date, such as the movies or something, then jeans and a nice top would be the best. However, if the occasion were more formal then...

Truthfully, I really wouldn't care if it were just jeans and a shirt, but a nicer top would make a better impression.

• I guess it all depends on where you are going? I don't care so much about what she's wearing as long as it's suitable for the occasion.

Although, no panties on a first date is always a plus.

• I think it depends on what/where the date is. Generally, I think jeans and a blouse would be good, but it wouldn't bother me if a girl wore something else more casual/formal than that. A dress might be a bit much, but again, it depends on the date.

• The first date is usually nothing too serious so I prefer if she dresses causal you know jeans, and a nice top that's it...

• Who cares?

• 40%. Enough to be classy and leave some to the imagination but show just enough to see some fun.

link

• Skirt and top if you have sexy legs to show off

• Boooo. that ooks easy on a first date

• Look easy? Not really how you act will determine whether you are easy or not, if you have a good body why not show it off

• It all depends on the person and body figure as to what looks best on the person

i like a nice top and short skirt but only if the body suits if you try it and your body type doesn't suit it then pants and tops work better etc... :)

• Skirt and nice top is sexy on a first date...

• i prefer naked ha ah

• Jeans and nice blouse. First date should be casual. you do not need so much attention or else, be simple and go :)

• Jeans and a T or whatever shirt

• be spontanious and suprise him. show up nekkid

• i think whatever's comfy. a first date is important but it also says who you are

• Lets see... I choose jeans and a t-shirt. #:-)

• A chastity belt ;)

Jeans and a blouse, confortable look is the best.

• waer what ur comfortable with.show him what you are and not what he will like 2 c in u

• hot pair of jeans and a nice t-shirt no question

• idk

• A thong and a smile

• Who was that directed at? I'm kind of confused.

• Definitely not you dear, You were asking a legit question and were not seemingly offended by the joke.

• naked. unless she's fat.

What Girls Said 32

• It really depends on wear you're going like, you woulden't wear high heels to an outdoor walk or a jeans and a tee out to a nice resturant!

Here are some examples of apporiate date clothes:

Stuff for a fancy night out/meeting the parents:

link

link

Something for a rock show,movies, casual date(pair with jeans):

link

link

Something for the outdoors:

link

link

link

• I really liked those pieces in the rock show, movies etc catagory.

• Ugh...

i think that stuff is ugly as hell.

I guess it really depends on personal taste. I would never introduce my girl to my parents in those. Trashy.

• Well, they look better on a girl, things look different off the rack. What clothes would you want your girl to wear when she meets your parents?

• i voted nice blouse with jeans.

but that depends on where you are going, but usually its a casual date unless he is very old then yeah maybe a fancy date.

so either way I suggest those very important things to me:

- wear something you re usually comfortable in... if you don't usually feel comfortable in a dress or a skirt then stay away from them, plus a short skirt or dress will most likely give him the wrong idea.. if he isn't that open minded!

- wear something you usually wear, like don't wear a ripped jeans with chains or whatever for the first time ever on a first date, try to wear something you ve already worn before and perhaps heard few compliments when you wore it.

- don't wear too bright colors, like shiny neon yellow on the first date, if you re into that ofcourse.

- pay attention to the shoes! don't wear flats or something that reveals the toes on the first date! lol unless you have the prettiest toes ever.

- wear comfortable shoes, because you never know if you re gunna talk a walk or something, maybe he doesn't even has a car!

• Out of your choices, I would say nice jeans and a nice top. Since I'm more of a tomboy and skirt or dress are out of the question, but a nice pair of jeans, and a nice top work for me. I have a job where I wear nothing but crappy jeans and t-shirts, but that's my comfort zone.

But it does depend on the date. If it's to a fancier restaurant, I would wear dress pant, nice top, and heels. But if it's somewhere fun, then jeans and a nice top and nice sneakers. It will always depend on the date.

• I like jeans because they're casual, but you can dress them up. It shows that you aren't super high maintenance, practical, and also don't jump into things. Also, it shows that you're focused on the person and their company rather than their appearance, yet at the same time you can keep yourself well kept.

For a first date at night I'll wear a nice top that shows a little more skin than usual (i.e. off the shoulder) but still tasteful. Depending on where I'm going I'll dress it up with comfy heels (they do exist), or flats.

Besides, the sneaky thing is that if you dress casually, you can do more with hair and makeup. I had an old boyfriend and when we went out I wore a nice plain white off the shoulder sweater and jeans with my suede boots from school, but I did really nice hair and makeup and he was blown away but he couldn't exactly put his finger on what it was. He did say he liked big loose curls on me.

• it depend on the date you are going to...

If to a concert ... go for a short-sleeve... spaghetti strapped tops... and jeans... try black top and blue jeans... it reallys looks good...

if to a movie... or bowling or something along those lines.. like a cute restaurant or a coffee shop.. or to eat pizza... try a cute cute top... something totally cute... white, pink.. baby blue.. light green.. something way cute.. with maybe a cute pic or graphic on it.. or some elaborate bit of designing... and a matching skirt. Make sure you style ur hair cute too... :)

if to a game... try a ponytail... and wear a long denim skirt and a turtle neck shortsleeved top... or else.. jeans and a cute tee... and a jacket... try for the coolish tomboy look...

--------------------------Make up to these places must always be natural or basically natural... don't be too pancaked.

if to a fancy place... wear a hot dress.. as this is not likely going to be your first date... try to show a bit of ur assets here... not too much... show off a bit of ur curves... and try more darker colors.. and bit of darker makeup.

FIRST DATE POINTERS :)

All in all..it basically depends on where you are going and who you are with.. if you know he likes a certain color. wear it, but only if it looks good on you too.. like if he likes blue.. but blue doesn't suit u... don't wear it... don't go for really tight and short clothing... and don't show off your figure and cleavage and all.. don't wear too much make up... Make sure you have a cute hairdo, which you don't do often... especially if you like him.. don't wear something that you never wear, like if you are a tomboy, don't switch to dresses for the date. BE YOU. BE COMFORTABLE. But alos be a bit different. PAy a bit more attention. Also wear shoes depending on your date and what you will be doing.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST> GOOD LUCK!

• It depends on the kinda date you are going on I guess, but I guess a nice top and jeans is what I would wear

• kaay, well, I don't know if you have one, but a black floral dress always looks good. You know, one that doesn't come past you knees, but just above mid-thigh length. make sure its strapless, and wear maybe either a small black cardigan or a black leather jacket.

As for shoes, either small black heels, or black flats. Aldo has some awesome flats.

Try to get a brown leather bag, like, vintage, one that falls low behind you.

Your hair should be wavy and loose, and have red lipstick and neutral coloured eyes, with huuuge lashes.

or at least, that's what I wear.

• Here's what you should look for in order of importance:

1. What makes you feel comfortable (stick with your general style preference)

2. What is appropriate attire for where you are going ( weather, dress code, comfort,...)

3. What flatters your features (you like your legs, collarbones, back, chest etc...) Pick one thing you'd like to give a peek of, and stick with that. Don't show up with all your "assets" shown. Too much of a good thing is in fact a bad thing.

More than what you wear, it's about (*how* you wear something. Never sacrifice personal comfort just because you want to make an impression. People can tell if you aren't being yourself. So be confident, and he'll hardly remember what color your top was... aside from the fact that you looked great in it!

Best of luck

• it really depends on what the first date is, but without knowing that information, I chose jeans & a nice blouse. that way you look nice, without looking like you are trying too hard.

• Well to me it about how you want him to perceive you!Guys will look at what's hanging out I always cover up and dress to complement my body type. I don't want him thinking I'm easy with it all hanging out and if your not easy guys are visual creators!So be yourself be sexy and cute!Heals with a black top that doesn't let them all hang out is nice!And wear a bit of makeup to bring your great facial features

• it really depends on what the date is. dress according to the occasion

• on the first date, I usually just wear jeans and a cute top, nothing too over the top. just something very casual...

the second date, is uaully when I dress up more...

• It depends on where you're going.

• I think it also depends on the person and the circumstances.

I, for example, haven't worn jeans outside the house ever since I came to Japan, so if I suddenly appeared on a date in jeans... xD

Of course, if you're going to do something active, nice trousers are a must.

But for a "sitting" activity, a skirt and cute little heals might not be bad.

But consider your own type, your preferred wardrobe and the type of guy you're dating!

• It depends on where you're going. Like if you're going to the movies, something casual like a cute tee and some jeans and boots or something would be cute, or if you're going somewhere fancy like out to dinner I would wear like a cute little black dress with some funky heels or something like that. =)

• You can never go wrong with the little black dress. isn't it like a staple for girls?

• Yep, pretty much every girl has a little black dress in her closet. lol

• well first of all it has to be something comfortable. he needs to see that your not trying to hard. 2nd it depends on where your going? if its a nice dinner at the beach or any other nice restaurant a nice dress would do it ( don't put to much makeup) or maybe some nice jeans ( the ones that everyone likes on you off course) and a cute top! not to much cleavage lol... and yea I don't know its not that important what you wear but how you wear your "Smile" :D

ciao!

• Depends on where your going. Like if your going bowling or mini golfing, jeans and a cute top, maybe even a t-shirt. with sneakers

If your going to dinner maybe a causal dress and cardigan and some flats.

if your going to the movies maybe skinny jeans and a dressier top and flats.

So think about where your going and then pick something that looks cute or sexy but still fits the event. Just no sweats! :)

• It matters where you're going. Like out to eat, movies, the mall and what not.

Most first dates are rather casual so I would wear something that fits the occasion. Like jeans and a nice shirt. A nice shirt is something that brings out your figure and is comfortable.

Keep it simple, comfortable, and nice on a first date.

• jeans and a nice shirt/blouse.

but it all really depends on where the guy is taking you.

you don't want to wear a skirt when the guy is taking you to..say...an amusement park. unless you guys don't get on the rides...

• A dress not too long, not too short. Depends the time of the Day and the place You are going. Better and safe to go with a cocktail dress. It's classy. Yet, if you are not a Dress person , this will make you feel like not you and naked. So choose a pair of jeans and a really nice top. The most important thing is for You to fee great! Cause at the end, You will show it on your face, manners and hold attitude how You feel.

• In winter jeans, in summer a dress or skirt :D

• It really depends on the guy or girl your going out with,

• Preferably I would wear a pair of jeans which flatters my figure, a seductive but casual top and a pair of strappy sandals with 2-3 inch heels

• i wouldn't show too much skin. for the rest, just wear what you always wear. better show him who you are from the beginning otherwise he might like you for something ur not

• Somethin tht represent's you & ur style nice for the guy to see'

• Dresses would be good.

• Depends on where you are going and where you live. A lot of places now I see girls wearing dresses more so than jeans. I used to be a jeans and cute top girl myself, but I am seeing dresses so much more than jeans at nicer places.

So, dress to the standards you see in your area. The only other thing is not to dress too sexy. Cute is good, form fitting is fine, but too sexy is hard for a guy to ignore and you could either keep the attention of a guy who has no interest in you beyond sex or you could scare off a guy who is nice because he will think of you as too sexual and you barely know him. I know it sounds so old-fashioned, but it has worked against me to show cleavage in my opinion and it has worked for me to look more like the girl-next-door, in my opinion.

• something simple, nothing outlandish

• depends on where your going..and what your doing...i wouldn't wear a dress what if its just to the movies

• Im a jeans and a shirt kinda girl. but I'm not a tomboy. (hell no)

Bottoms:

I like to wear mostly really tight darkwash demin from high end brands. I usually wear Uggs in the Winter and Moccasins...in the srping/summer I wear flats/colorful flipflops.

Tops:

I usually stick to American Eagle/ Aerie/Gap/Oldnavy etc types of clothes. Brightly colored sweaters and shirts go great with dark jeans.

If its a tad bit more formal and first dates aren't usually formal, You can wear a long sweater with leggings and boots :)

• More from Girls
    2