Girls, Should I dye my hair for breast cancer awareness?

Hi there! So to fully explain my situation: I'm a college freshman who lives in an all male dorm (it's basically a fraternity). I'm gay, but in the closet. A couple weeks ago, one of my bff's told me one of her family members was diagnosed with breast cancer. As you can imagine, the news hit her pretty hard. I really want to be there for her and show my support for her, her family, and for all the other women out there who fight against cancer, so I got the idea to dye my hair pink for breast cancer awareness month in October. Being 100% honest, this is also something I've just really wanted to do in general, and now I feel I've got a good enough cause to go through with it. Thing is, I'm also very worried about what the people in my dorm will think. It feels so good to belong and to be a part of the dorm, and I'm terrified I'll be ostracized by them if I go through with this. In fact, I'm worried about what everyone on campus will think. Lastly, and this is definitely a horrible reason to have second thoughts, I'm worried guys won't find me attractive... vain, I know. Anyways, that's the end of my super long venting. Props if you made it to the end 😊 For reference: below is a pic of what I would want it to look like.

4

Most Helpful Girl

• If you wanted to dye your hair pink anyway, go for it! If you're still in college then it's one of the few times in life you can do what you want with your hair! So just have fun with it! And so what if guys make fun of you, guys make fun of everyone, as long as you laugh along with it and take it lightheartedly, it'll be fine.
    I think the idea is a really noble one and it's lovely that you want to honour your friend in that way. Get a breast cancer awareness badge or wristband to make it more obvious why you're doing it, but overall yes i think its a good idea, have fun while you're in college ! :)

What Girls Said 3

• Omg you should so do it! I think that would look so awesome! I don't know if you know who Tyler Oakley is, but he is a Youtuber who always dyes his hair a different color, and I am obsessed with all the colors he dyes it. So go for it, its what YOU want to do, and in the end, thats what is important, right? The right guy will come along, and you never know, it could be because he loved your hair ;) Have fun!

• Don't dye your hair; there are less dramatic ways to show your support, such as buying some gear with the breast cancer logo; These items actually give thier proceeds to the foundation working to cure it. This way you show your support by wearing/using the gear around campus, you spare money, and you don't sacrifice your looks.

• Do it, its not only a good cause but its something you've wanted to do
    You will still look fine and the boys may tease you a bit but they won't think much of it