Why is it socially unacceptable for men to wear leggings/skirts/dresses/etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because. Sorry, but I like some things to stay the same and I know I wouldn't date someone who wore that stuff. I'm not gonna have hate in my heart for those who do, but it's just not something I exactly approve of. They don't need my approval and that's okay. They can do whatever they please, but I like things to be more traditional. This equality crap is starting to get on my nerves...

Most Helpful Guy

• Because when it comes down to clothes women are judgmental catty bitches and men are 100 times worse. Think about what's considered acceptable business wear. You've got like 3 or 4 different suit colors with or without stripes. The most creativity you can show is your tie and you can't take that to far without some dude talking about it. You can loose your job over not looking like a cookie cutter worker bee. Ever watched a men's fashion show? No? How many stores have you been too that sells only men's clothes? Now how many of those stores carry almost nothing but business attire? All of them? The truth is men have no freedom of fashion just the illusion of choice.

What Girls Said 5

• gender norms places things in boxes. leggings, skirts and dresses aren't placed in the box for men.

that's basically it.

• Because it is socially unacceptable for men to lower themselves and be like women in any capacity. Also, I have no desire to see your individual balls or penis. Cover that shit up, but loosely.

• IDGF what anyone wears as long as they're decent and clean.

• People are not raised that way. They have a habit to judge everything that looks different from them.
    There are gender norms people are forced to follow.

• Not if transsexual

What Guys Said 11

• If you've got the legs for it, you can always go for a good kilt.
    images.esellerpro.com/.../...DUTY_KILT_EXMPL_1.jpg

• Yeaa! And why can't we sleep in a pink bed surrounded with my disney princesses and stuff! We want equality!!

• Technically, I don't see why not. Pink used to be THE male color, by the way. It changed in like 1970

• What's walmart going to do? Not sell you the bed set until you prove you're female identifying?

• I think it is just one of those things that will take a bit of time to cross over into the mainstream. I think at this stage it would probably surprise people rather than shock or upset them.

• Because there are people out there who are insecure in their "masculinity" and would try to reinforce their idea of masculinity for you by beating you to a pulp.

Of course, if people were raised to be civilized, this would not be a problem.

• Well, yeah, it's generally socially unacceptable. You'd get some leering, some comments, etc., so in that sense society tells you it's not okay.

Do I personally care, though? Nah, it doesn't matter to me at all.

• Men can wear leggings/spandex. But the requirement is to have the legs of an NFL running back lol.

• I would actually like to go out in a skirt or dress, secretly film it and when i get abused physically or mentally, see what the idiot has to say in his or her defense in court.

• It's okay for Caitlyn so you're good to go man

• The same reason why it's unacceptable for men to wear dresses social norms

• yes, in fact it is. leggings are alright in my eyes though.

• It depends, Scottish men wear kilt skirts :P