Is it true that epilating/waxing reduces hair growth?

If I continue to epilate or wax my legs, would hair continue grow or would it eventually stop growing? Also, does shaving your legs and arms increase hair growth and makes your hair darker and thicker?

Most Helpful Girl

• Areas that are repeatedly waxed over long periods of time often exhibit regrowth that is softer and lighter in color and the amount of regrowing hair will be permanently reduced. The answer being, yes waxing reduces hair growth. But the reduction will eventually be noticeable after using the method of waxing for a long period of time. Approx. 6 months - a year. The time span various from a person to person. Waxing repeatedly for a period of years slowly damages the hair follacle until it kills it and hair no longer grows from that spot, therefore, the hair growth reduces.

What Guys Said 2

• Waxing will make your hair grow back sparser and finer. I don't think that it ever makes it completely stop growing, though. Shaving can make your hair appear thicker when it regrows, because the stem of the hair (the thickest part) is the part that grows out as the new "end" of the hair.

• I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that shaving does not cause more hair to grow, but it does cause the hair to get thicker, thus creating the illusion that there is more hair. The small fine hair becomes thicker, rougher, and gets a color to it.

I couldn't tell you about waxing.

What Girls Said 1

• Waxing reduces hair growth when performed at regular, thirty-day intervals. While shaving crops the hair even with the skin, waxing pulls it out by the root, so it grows back softer, finer, and thinner. Waxing is great for those who are tired of the hassle of shaving several times per week—the more you wax, the less hair grows back.

Shaving your legs and arms will increase the hair growth and make your hair darker and thicker.