Where are all the plus size MALE models?

with the whole body acceptance thing going on with curvy and overweight chicks you'd think itd be reflected on the male side too.
The closest thing I've seen is just the dad bode trend...

but seriously I've never heard of plus size male models but they must exist?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not an MRA or anything, but this is one area where I feel men get royally f**ked.

For women, it's a good thing to embrace different body types, and beauty comes in all forms. Make-up and body type shouldn't define a woman or her personality.

For men, it's not the case. There's the "hotties" and everyone else. A man should be tall, but not too tall. Have muscle but not too much muscle. Have hair but not too much hair. He should be a bad boy and cool but inside be a sweetie and smart. Every male lead in a chick flick has this type. Meanwhile, the female lead is average girl with her flaws but this awesome guy sees past that for her.
    In male oriented movies, it's just some Casanova or Rambo type guy kicking ass and getting a hot girl because he's hot. You don't see Jerry the average math geek doing the same you see in a chick flick.

Most male models are lean and toned. There's muscle you'd get from light weightlifting and no body fat so he has a 6-pack. Any guy who works out can tell you how hard getting a 6-pack is unless you start eating nothing even slightly unhealthy, workout constantly, and are naturally built that way. Let's also not forget none of these men have body hair except beards sometime, because men NEVER grow any hair on their chest, back, or neck, right? I'm a strong guy but even when I'm most in shape I just have the outline of a 4-pack show up. In fact, sort of how women complain it's unhealthy and difficult for a woman to be as skinny and flat tummied as models, you have to have around 8-10% body fat or less as a guy to get a 6-pack unless you're super ripped. That's an unhealthy percentage of fat, a healthy male should have 12-15%. Yet, let's all get 6-packs.

If a plus-size girl gets a hot in-shape dude, well he looked past her body and saw her personality for who she really is. This is a common fantasy some women beg for in fiction. Meanwhile, if an overweight guy were to get some hot girl, then it's seen as some disgusting frat boy fantasy. Why is she with him? She could do better!

I think it's just unfair overall. Either hold up both sexes to somewhat unobtainable standards or just not at all, and the latter is a better option in my opinion.

• lol I think most girls don't know what they want in a guy but obsess over themselves and other women...

I see your point up until "If a plus-size girl gets a hot in-shape dude, well he looked past her body and saw her personality for who she really is. This is a common fantasy some women beg for in fiction. " sentence.
      I'm what you might call curvy... not obese, but a little chubby (150lbs 5"5). and honestly I'd never stay with a guy if he has to "look past my appearance". Nobody should settle for someone who dislikes their appearance. I'm not going to go to a guy who prefers fit boyish/wallowy girls and pray he looks past it all. I date guys who love the extra boob and ass.

We should just not dictate who likes what type, but I do think america in particular has some weight issues compared to a lot of countries.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 26

• Because no one gives a shit about them? xD
    All this body acceptance movement is only geared towards women, they never say anything about men, we're still expected to be all muscular and shit.

• Look for them at the big and tall stores or their ads, there is also a product line for XXXL males store. I know this because despite the fact that I'm a rather short man, I was once 274 lbs. I have been working on losing weight and have been successful, as I now weigh 227. I'm still working on this though. The reason I bring this up is because I'm short I have also wondered about bigger guys weight wise. I have also wondered because I have no issues with bigger girls if there are girls who like bigger guys weight wise. I mean I know there all sorts of women who like tall guys and buff guys and skinny guys too, but are there women who find chubby and somewhat overweight guys attractive too?

• Because society only cares about lowering the bar for female beauty standards.

• Nah... women are just whinier. And seriously when has a women whining ever really changed your opinion? XD

• Lol that's true.

• There is a minor nit I would like to pick here. As a man who is a fan of larger women. Who has always been a fan of larger women. Who has been a fan since before most of the commenters in this thread were born. I am pleased to look at ads in print and on TV and see women as I LIKE TO SEE THEM.

My voice and the voices of men who agree with me, get marginalized in this whole discussion. Nobody is saying you or other men have to change your tastes. You just don't get to enforce that only your tastes can be shown. If you see a woman you don't find attractive in an ad in print or on TV... avert your eyes. Then remember that that ad was put there for me and those who agree with me.

• They hardly exist considering Male Models get paid 10 times less n average than Female models. There would have to be more demand for guys in general first, and even then, I don't think guys would ever care that there wasn't plus sized male models, not to mention guys in the model industry would never be in a position to complain.

• As @Bandit74 i think correctly points out, much of the body acceptance movement today is geared towards making it easier for women to be viewed as more attractive. There's a role for body acceptance, but a lot of it has turned into body negligence, or body ignorance. Instead of being about "hey, you know what... I'm fat, i accept it, and i'm doing what i can within my power to change it" its become "hey, im fat, and i don't need to change it because im damn attractive just the way i am"

What's interesting though is that they are essentially still right... They may still be attractive (at least in their own heads) and they don't "need to" to anything... except the difference between the latter and the former person is that the one acknowledges their weight, they don't chastise themselves for it, but they make changes to their lifestyle because they know that in order to get what they want, they need to put some effort into it... while the other person still wants the same things in life as the aforementioned does (because they're still human after all) but are swimming in a pool of self delusion that promotes inaction.

Coming back to your question... i think the reason why you dont see many plus sized male models is because of feminism to be quite honest with you. I know its trendy to blame feminism for everything but to be honest, i attribute this phenomenon to the radical ones because really, there just isn't huge demand for plus sized models in the industry from the male side. It's a purely artificial/fake demand being drudged up by some women (and in the sake of fairness, ill say a minority of men) who think men should broaden their physical tastes to include women who haven't worked as hard on their bodies as others, all the while women should be allowed to maintain theirs.

I'll throw a monkey wrench in all this though by saying I'm actually quite fine with the double standard. It's not something that personally hurts me in any way, I don't really have take much issue to women's standards in general, as i find that women tend to be less picky than men are generally. It's a double standard that I actually think does more harm to women than it does to men honestly... because men, we already know what we're about. It's "perform or die", and we kind of already get that. Some fringe elements of feminism however have convinced a lot of women that its "show up or die". All you need to do is present yourself to the world and people will desire you.

We wish

• Im ok if they are happy with themselves but they are essentially saying, Im fat and Im attractive just the way I am. Now in my opinion you can't do this. Attractiveness has to do with how OTHER people perceive you. If they look at you and are sexually aroused by your appearance than you are attractive, if not then you are't. Whether or not YOU think you're attractive doesn't mean shit.

It would be like a comedian claiming that he's funny because he thinks he's funny. But if nobody nobody laughs at is jokes, the way he sees himself is meaningless.

These women in the fat acceptance movement seem to be trying to force the audience to see them the way they apparently see themselves.

• @Bandit74

im just glad guys generally aren't trained to be this way. I think it just makes you an overall weaker person in general, and more susceptible to being put down by others... because instead of truly accepting yourself, you're just masking the stuff you don't want to see...

• hahaha... they don't exist.

• Don't think guys care enough really.

• There's no such thing as body acceptance or "plus sized models" it's all bullshit to market to women that they're fine the way they are but really they could be more perfect. All a scam, I hope you learn that your life is a product of marketing at some point.

• Aren't models basically there to sell things? Such as, a swimwear company finds some gorgeous babe to sell a bikini, because the girl buying it wants to feel gorgeous? Or, a fat model to make the fat girls feel good about themselves?

I don't think it works like that for men. They know they look bad as fatsos and any attempt to sell them on a fat look would feel false.

• 0|0
  • Not really. Its mostly targeted to women. It will have to most effect on women since they care much more about it... they crave acceptance much more than men

So companies decided lets give them acceptance and also profit along with it... most likely lets just profit off peoples emotions

• We don't need them.

• who cares? equality isn´t about men :P

• Making commercials for trucks

• Only staunch gynocentrists really take the "plus size model" trend seriously. Guys don't care about trying to shoehorn fat guys into being good looking.

• Because men accept they are fat and ugly so there is no need to make them feel better with fake standards.

• I'm right here, señorita...

• haha exactly well the model world is female dominated so that's probably why

• Fat acceptance is a purely female phonomenon.

• I know about plus sized strippers

• Look at male celebrities in general. They've always been body diverse and accepted. I mean Seth Rogen Louis CK Kevin Hart male comedians are beloved and span every shape and size their is. Guys aren't looking for more representation in the fashion industry. I mean our clothing for the most part consists of pants, jeans, shirts, t-shirts, suits and underwear. Not much to model. I don't want to speak for my whole gender but from what I can tell we honestly just don't give a shit about make modeling in general. Well except for bodybuilder and all they wanna see is guys modeling thongs tans and muscle.

• Because we don't care about what society says is beautiful or not. So guys don't care if they're represented in the fashion industry or not because the fashion industry is worthless and pathetic in our eyes.

• Plus size is not attractive. Male or female.

Men can deal with that. Women get their feelings hurt and have to start body acceptance things to help them feel better about themselves.

This is why you don't see male plus size models - they know they aren't attractive and aren't bothered by that one bit.

• When humans can change something that we dont like (obesity) we tend to forget about it or adapt to liking it.

• pretty nice observation.

• Honestly we guys don't care as much as girls about body modelling.

What Girls Said 12

• Well if men actually created a movement for ANYTHING than more people will become aware of this. Plus size movements has been going on for years, it isn't new at all. The fashion industry is ran by gay men and has been since it all first started. I dont know why people always think women are supposed to create movements for men , they dont create movements for us or themselves. Plus this a male dominated world, if they speak (enough of them) people listen.

• i kinda like chubby guys its cute with glasses!
    I don't think it ever happen but i can't wait!!

• chubby and fat guys are represented everywhere else on media as normal.

a woman of a norm, al weight can be critiqued for being chubby. an actually chubby guy dosnt get noticed as overweight. bc he's a guy.

• yeah, but they're usually the sidekick, or they're in a comedy, or an old dude. Can you name me any then?

I do agree that the standard for women is way too skinny, but that doesn't mean guys don't get laughed at for not being fit or tall as well. and as a girl who was once 190 pounds I definitely think I had it easier dating then fat guys

• Excellent point. Why have I never thought about it before? Lol

• Actually it has become a thing if you google "Dad bod" you will plenty of plus size male s who are considered better than gym muscles guy xD

• Nowhere, I hope. I don't like the idea of plus size models for either gender.

• Wherever they find a way to market to chubby guys. All this jazz is about making money. Unilever owns both Dove & Axe.

• Well they are there. If you pay attention to commercials or even in Hollywood, you see more overweight men represented than females. Men tend to be more revered for being comedic or having great personalities, rather than women who are more revered based on how they look. Just look at Kevin James, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, etc I mean the list could go on. A lot of male celebrities (not talking action stars) are held to an average weight standard, whereas most female celebrities have been told many times to lose weight. So trust me the men of average and overweight build are still pretty represented.

• because its FEMALES who are usually shamed

• I think because it's considered that men can't be curvy.

• Look at some comedians... that's what they are probably thinking of "plus sized models". They don't use many in adverts, though.

• They exist. Go to any Big and Tall store, you'll see them there. Its just that its always been more acceptable to be a big burly guy than it is to be a big girl. Also much of women's value is based on their looks. Men's value is based on their abilities.