(Guys,) Can you actually spot a 'no-makeup' makeup look? What are your opinion around that look?

Basically in my class there is a girl who is actually very pretty, but to make her skin perfect she throws on lots of nude makeup to cover up every pimple or blemish. That's fine except that she denies that she where any make up to all the guys (the girls know because she brags about it in changing rooms, like what brands she wear), and the guys all think that she is perfect. I might sound pretty jealous but I think it's kinda unfair for all the other girls and the guys as well. What are your opinions on girls like this and the 'no-makeup' look?

Most Helpful Guy

• Her wearing that is fine, but if I found out she was lying, that would instantly do way more damage of what I think of her than any amount the makeup would have helped her.

Makeup can already be a little deceiving, but straight up BSing in that amount is borderline manipulative.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the fact that she lies about wearing makeup is a bigger deal than actually wearing makeup, and it may eventually cause a problem between her and guys she pursues when they find out the truth. Lies like that just aren't cool. You all are young, maybe she will grow out of at least lying about it.

A lot of guys are oblivious to how makeup works and don't realize how much makeup can actually go into a natural look. This might slightly skew some of their expectations on how women should look naturally. Reality is what it is though.

What Guys Said 22

• The make up look that looks like "no makeup" is actually fresh face style of make up. No blush, no heavy eyeliner and stuff.

I don't know how I know this.

• Yes, I can spot a 'makeup look' from a long way off. The face always looks unnatural to me and I feel it makes girls appear trashy and seem insecure about their looks. They will stand out like a sore thumb to me when wearing make up, but not in a good way. I will usually try and avoid them and look for a natural looking girl that doesn't use make up or only uses a small amount. I just think natural looks waaay better!

The make up industry has led girls to believe that they need to wear makeup to look good and make boys like them. This is all BS. Personally I have never seen a girl look better in makeup than she does without it. Rather I find girls look sexier without it and they certainly appear more confident. Also I know what I am getting with a makeup free face, whereas girls that wear makeup may look completely different when they don't have it on which is very deceiving in the first place. They might as well wear a mask over their face, although a 6 inch crust of foundation may actually constitute a mask in my opinion. When they wear makeup it also makes me feel that they are trying to hide something, which is another reason that I will avoid that kind of woman. So 'no' to makeup on a casual outing or first date, but some lipstick and eyeliner would be fine for a special occasion i. e. wedding, party in my opinion.

• "Personally I have never seen a girl look better in makeup than she does without it." I understand what you're saying, but to be fair... some girls do look better with makeup, because they may have blemishes like acne scars or dark under eye circles which you can't really do much about except spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on procedures and products that might correct the skin problem only slightly... or use makeup as the only way to see a clear skinned face. Makeup can be a means of looking presentable and just normal. Or do you consider this different than what you are talking about?

• @coconutelixir You do actually have a point there I guess. Like I get exactly what you mean. In those instances than yes, I agree, wearing makeup would improve your appearance if you have acne scars or under eye circles for example, but in general most girls don't have any need for it yet will still wear a lot of it. But that's just my opinion. Like I said, I find it unappealing and a turn-off. I just prefer girls to look as natural as possible. I feel the same way about fake eyelashes, extensions & breast implants...

• I think many men are actually fooled by this, especially when someone does a poll and almost every guy says they prefer no make up, when really, they prefer this look you describe.

Denying it and doing that, will only get her through until someone spends a night/ morning with her, then they will see.

• When it's a natural look you shouldn't be able to tell, that's the point of the 'natural' look, is it not?

If you were perfect you might get the same look without makeup, maybe.

As for pretending that you don't wear makeup when you do I personally could not care less, immature as it may be, though I could see how this could get on other women's nerves.

• IIt's not unfair. "Unfair" is used when two different people or groups are being treated differently by a third party for no good reason. There's no third party here. Nor are there any rules. She wears makeup and it seems to be working for her. You can do the same if you want to attract guys who don't know makeup when they see it.

• One can make the difference between a make up and no make up. The make up face will look different than a no make up face.

• I can't really spot foundation/concealer if they wear it every day.
    Other than that, I can spot everything.

• Her waring that much makeup is fine, that she says the doesn't wear any is stupid becuase trust me we can see if you wear makeup or not

However i do love girls with a smooth skin (and soft skin ;))

• I don't really care if she lies about wearing makeup or not. If it makes her more comfy to
    Pretend she is natural then I wouldn't be bothered.
    And if she got caught out in a lie it would effect her way more than it would effect me.

• 90 percent of women put makeup on, but yes if you don't have it on we can tell if we're close enough.

• I barely know what clothes I'm wearing on a given day, let alone if a girl is wearing "natural makeup".

• I believe most of us can spot a clean look (it's not like we have a make up detector). I prefer naturally pretty girls but if it helps them feel confident, I'll respect and appreciate.

• I can spot it if I'm looking for it.

• I think I don't care.

• this is why i like to go swimming for dates. 1, it lets me know how self conscious you are, 2 it's hard to hide a weapon in a swimsuit, and 3 most girls don't put on a whole lot of makeup to go swimming (that i know of)

• If only with my own will, I do not like technology, waste time, make-up work in the morning, then at least half an hour to get up early now, time is very precious, ah, enough for me to sleep

• I do not condone her being dishonest about it, however it is the proper way to use make up.

• Well, when someone decides to touch her face, her cover will be blown.

• I can, and it kinda puts me off if a girl puts on make-up, especially if she lies about it.

• I can and too much makeup makes a girl look like she's trying too hard and has no self confidence.

• I always prefer pretty girls without makeup (tomboyish, casual and sporty girls) ;)

• I think that if someone looks nice, they look nice. Being attractive because of genetics isn't somehow more pure, noble, or indicative of inner beauty than being attractive because of a mix of genetics and makeup.

What Girls Said 12

• Stop hating and being jealous. She's not doing anything wrong or unfair. She's just pretty and gets lots of attention

• You don't think it's wrong to lie and say you're not wearing makeup when you really are?

• @Jessicocoa Who is it hurting? if you were wearing a push-up bra, waist cincher, butt pads, chicken cutlets etc and someone asked you do you feel obligated to expose yourself? That's her business

• Yeah, of course I would feel obligated to expose myself. She's making it everyone's business by bragging about it in the locker room.

• its pretty easy to spot a "no makeup" look... in this case the skin will look wayy too perfect and her facial features enhanced

• Yeah it's kind of annoying well makeup in general I just don't really see why girls cover up their face except for maybe in the case they had a reay nasty zit but as of all the extra makeup and everyday I think it's unnecessary.

But anyways I've never been a fan of makeup and I personally think everyone would look prettier more natural :)

• Despite what guys say they can not spot a girl who is wearing natural looking makeup. With that said I had a friend in High School who wore powder make up. It wasn't heavy or anything that would change her look dramatically but she didn't consider it makeup unless it gave you a 180. To answer your last question I stopped caring. Unless you're planning on dating the person or someone is comparing them to you then leave well enough alone. <3

• Obviously they don't notice it...
    Maybe just learn how to apply some concealer and do what she does. =)

• Usually it's pretty obvious if a person's wearing make-up or not... even if it's the no-makeup look.
    I'm fine with it, I mean if i wanted to "up my game" (lol that sounds lame) I could do the whole make up thing too...
    Her own loss at the end if she's been "fooling" people, then finally one day a dude leaves her for being dishonest

• My opinion on girls like that is she's insecure and just needs to know she's pretty without it. there's a major difference between the nude look and no make up at all. And I love the no make up look, it shows confidence usually.

• I mean she might just b embarrassed to tell guys she wears makeup but I don't see the point cuz if u wear make up its not a big deal so I don't see the point to lie about it

• It shouldn't rally matter she's just covering up blemishes not completely changing her face. Geez calm down girl lol :)

• they can probably tell

• It's easy to spot. You can clearly tell when a girl's wearing makeup even if it's the basic.

• It's no ones concern but hers, there is nothing unfair about it, she can do and say as she wishes. You can put on fake lashes and call it "no makeup" and believe it or not, but there are guys who wouldn't know the difference.