Would you listen to your boyfriend's opinion on swimwear?

My boyfriend and I are taking our first vacation together to a nice sandy beach. It's our first time we have ever been to a beach together since we've been dating. I told him I wanted to buy a few new bathing suits and showed him this exact one below. WELL we got into an argument, he said I would get too much unwanted attention and he picked out a much more conservative (almost dress like) swim suit. Now any girl wearing a bathing suit is going to draw attention to some degree but this is a one-piece bathing suit... it's not even a bikini! Bikinis show more skin than this. Girls what do you think? Is this too risque? Would you let your boyfriend pick out your swim wear?

The swimsuit I want to wear:

The conservative swimsuit he wants me to wear:

• I would wear the swimsuit you picked out, it's not too risque
  • I agree with your boyfriend, the swimsuit you picked out is too risque but I would still wear it anyway
  • I agree with your boyfriend, the swimsuit you picked out is too risque you should listen to your boyfriend and wear the conservative option

Most Helpful Guy

• I love your choice... it covers all of the bits that 'should' be covered, hints at the underboob area are very well placed and alluring... it looks awesome. Plus, you are on vacation where you aren't likely to ever meet the people who may see too much, again... that's why vacations are great. You can be a bit more of an exhibitionist, and a tease

• Thanks for mho... let us know how the holiday goes :-)

Most Helpful Girl

• I let my boyfriend pick out my things from time to time. If you are going to be with him... wear something he will like. If I am shopping for something to wear and i am going to be with my boyfriend I send him pictures and let him pick because at that point I am dressing for him and while he likes me in whatever I wear I like to make him happy and wear stuff that I know he likes, even if its not my favorite. Maybe compromise with something like this:
    encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping
    encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping
    encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/shopping
    encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/shopping
    You both get a little of what you want. A little compromise can go a long way.

• I like the second one with the eyelets at the top and the cutout on the sides but I know even that would be too much for him. He made it pretty clear he would like to see me in a top that would show little to no cleavage, there should be no open midsection and if it has a skirt or wrap even better. I think that is just a tad too protective.

• Gave you MHO I decided to go with the second link you suggested and order a very similar suit. We talked compromised and he would feel better with that option and I can still feel sexy in that suit. Win/win

• I love the second and the third. More the third one. I would love to see my girlfriend in purple and white.

What Guys Said 14

• Here's the secret to deciphering these kinds of behaviors in men...

If he pushes for more conservative options, it means that he sees a place for you in his future together.

If he doesn't mind the risque options, it means that you're just a fling to him.

Do with this info as you wish.

• The one you picked out is build and meant to be attention gaining in a sexual way. And if you are honest to yourself, you know that this is the case. Thus I can see his point.

Even more importantly though: if he usually isn't too possessive, where is the problem with wearing a different swimsuit, if he would be uncomfortable with you wearing a more revealing one? Like does it make being on the beach less fun?

• Why would you need "a few new bathing suits" ? you can only wear 1 at a time. Nobody is going to remember, or care, what suite you wore the previous day?
    if he has a serious issue with it, then you need to decide is a bathing suite worth possibly breaking up for? in a relationship you need to pick your battles. there is always give and take.

• I want a few new swimsuits for myself. I don't care who will or will not remember it makes me fe good about myself. Any girl going on a vacation is going to bring multiple options

• Thankfully not "any girl..". My ex-wife never owned more then 1 at any time the entire 25 years I knew her. That started when she was 17. The girlfriend I have now has 1. Other then a few high maint cousins I have known, I have never known any others to have more then 1. Guess I just don't have a vain family that has more money then they know what to do with.

• Hmm. You could wear whatever you like, really.

But isn't part of a relationship doing things for each other? If you won't even wear a less revealing swimsuit at his request, it might make him feel a lot less invested. They say that someone who is faithful in little things is faithful in big things.

• But where does it end then? It starts with a swimsuit and it goes from there. What If he only wants me to wear dresses on a daily basis, or prefers I not wear a style of underwear, or he prefers I not wear a certain style top should I just give in and let my boyfriend dress me?

• The flip side is, where does it go, then?

If I'm dating a girl and we're in a relationship... and she won't even do something small for me, upon request, how can I have confidence that she'd have my back for anything?

• Yea there's nothing wrong with just wearing something more conservative. Its just you and your boyfriend going on a beach. You have no reason to wear something more revealing other than its just a preference or affects your mobility or something

Its ok to compromise if it makes him a little more comfortable

• Just wear a big-ish bikini. That feels less risque than the on-piece that shows under-boob

• Is there such a thing as a biggish bikini hehehehehe? I would think any two piece is going to be more revealing than the one I picked out. Do you have any links to pictures as examples you would want me to wear?

• I think the best option would be to compromise, I think your choice is a little bit too risque, and his is insanely conservative.

• I have to agree with your boyfriend. If my girlfriend wanted the same thing you were wanting, I would say the same thing. But I wouldn't pick out different swimwear for her. If she ever became my wife, that would be a totally different story. She could even go in a bikini if she wanted to.

• There is nothing wrong with your choice and I consider it to be quite conservative. I would let my girlfriend wear something much more risque than that and still be quite happy.

• you should ware the one you want to

• I can almost see the pussy in the first pic.

• I'm not a fan of it but who am I to tell you what to wear it. So wear what YOU like

• Can you find something more in the middle of it. Compromise? Did you ever see the episode of King of Queens where Doug wants Carrie to go out with the cop to get out of paying more insurance on her tickets. She first tries to pick something out herself, which was VERY conservative, they told her, she needs to be a little more, well, how shall I say, undressed, compared to what she picked out. They of course wanted her to wear all these slutty outfits to really make sure she gets out of the ticket but, when she kicks them out of her bedroom, she winds up picking more of something she might wear to work, dress slacks and a light sweater. It worked, up until the day of court and her dad wound up telling the cop she's married, haha, so, but yeah, sometimes, you just need to learn how to compromise. That's how relationships work. It's not "I" anymore, it's "we". You need to think about how the other person will feel when picking something out

• its slutty and ugly. sorry thats a pornstar outfit no swimsuit. your bf's is much better.

What Girls Said 14

• They both are very conservative to me. I wear string bikinis lol like all the time. Both your choices are too much cover for me.

Both are cute, but not for me.

Is your boyfriend super religious or Mormon?

• No not really I guess he is just protective. Maybe I should have showed him the one you are suggesting first then he would look at my choice and think it was really conservative! Got any pictures or online shopping links of swimsuits you wear so I can show him what other girls suggested as normal?

• Google VS swim suit model.

They all wear the style of suit I typically wear.

• I'd wear the swimsuit I wanted. He already doesn't like my swimming costumes, so it's no big deal for me to wear one that I know he doesn't like, obviously. If you like it, then wear it, but it might cause an argument.

• Well, the first one is terrible...
    The second one is cute - if you're not worried about tanning.

• Why do you say the first one is terrible? What swimsuit would you recommend? Any links?

• These are pretty cute. I agree we have a slightly different style I think I am a bit more modern in my style but I could find these cuts in colors and prints that match my style. My only problem is with link 1 and 3 when there isn't something holding the girls up I always fear the suit is sliding down and one of the girls is gonna make an appearance hahahaha got to get over that fear I guess. The second one has the best potential. What store is this from I'd want to check out the front

• I don't really know. I just found it on google. Maybe google the image and see if you can find it. =)
      Yeah, I know what you mean. These usually come with straps, just aren't advertised as such.

• That one has sheer panels that I can see through, so while it shows less bare skin than a bikini it still shows skin. To answer your question yes I listen to my boyfriend's opinion about swimsuits. I guess I'm lucky, as we seem to feel the same way about more revealing swimwear, which is to say we both love it.

My boyfriend loves when I wear bikinis, he's gotten me a couple that are super-cute & super sexy, & as for guys looking at me he actually considers that sort of an indirect compliment. When he sees guys checking me out he looks at me & smiles, then gives me a big hug & kiss, then says something like Hello Sexy Lady!

• i think theyre both not that attractive tbh...

• What swimsuit would you recommend then?

• Well the monokini's were really in this season I am just afraid of weird tan lines. I feel I would need to really tan before the vacation. That second one though! If my boyfriend had an issue with my choice I know he wouldn't like that second one. The black band at the bottom barely covers the lady bits

• hmm fair enough. i just think monokinis r worth the tan lines lol. theyre SO hot!
      but yeah ur right i didn't look at it much. i just looked at the design in general, my bad. the one before it was alright though. =] covers up everything reasonably well.

• I don't like either of them to be honest. They'd both attract attention to you.

• Girl. Wear what you want. Honestly. Do you tell him how to brush his teeth? No! Why should he get to make those decisions?

• the one you picked looks fine!

• I wouldn't go with the option he chose for you, but I would definitely go with something less, well, pornstar-like.

• OMG!!! Burn it burn it burn ittt!!! (The second one)

• I would go with what you want but if he's really upset about it then I wouldn't want to spoil the holiday mood. I actually really like the second one and I think it's much sexier.

• wow the one you picked out is cool kinda star trekkie

• I prefer your BFs pick...

• I think that a two piece bathing suit would look more conservative simply because the offset of mesh with the black really draws attention to your more womanly attributes lol. Even though you are covered the mesh draws more attention to your body where as a regular bikini most people won't look twice and all your areas are covered in a way that doesn't draw attention to your assets.