Shaving armpits?

Does shaving your armpits really help with sweating? I was thinking of shaving my armpits for that reason because I suffer form extremely sweaty armpits. Should I shave them?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with the other two girls. However, I think it CAN help. Only because hair seems to trap sweat more, or at least cause less antiperspirant to be applied -directly- to the skin, which is what blocks the sweat from coming out in the first place. This is probably gross, but I've noticed once or twice that if I don't shave it for like a week or so when I'm lazing around the house, even though there's not much there, the hair tends to trap in sweat more and I'll notice any smell quicker than if I've just shaved.

So I don't know, consider it an experiment, haha. Shave it and see if you notice a difference. If there's no change, it grows back anyway. No harm done.

What Girls Said 3

• i agree that it does not help

kerotinocyte roots are not the same as the sebaceous glands. shaving perhaps will help with hygeine but other than that, over sweating might have something to do and probably with homeostasis in the body

• in helps. do it

• the hair under your armpits does not affect your sweat glands; shaving will have no effect.

What Guys Said 4

• Well pubic hair is used to insulate our bodies and keep warmth in. So I'm assuming if you remove the hair much like gutting a houses insulation, it won't stay as warm.

• I shave it and it helps.

Simply because antiperspirant deodorant rubbed into your skin is more affective than antiperspirant deodorant rubbed onto the hair protruding from your skin.

• Haha I agree 100%.. Plus if left unchecked my hairs get really long and start to shoot out a bit and I dislike this appearance at the beach or a pool lol

• personally i do not like armpits hair either cuz it looks nasty. so i shave them

• I shave my pits and i dont think so but you will stay fresh longer