Does anyone else think that shortening a person's name is rude, classless and lazy? What do you think of name shortening?

And how to stiop people from doing it.

People shortening your name is like them saying you are not worth their breath for them to say your full name. it's very modern to shorten names but then again modern people are not very classy people.
People do not shorten my name. I feel bad for the people who allow their names to be shortened.

Most Helpful Guy

• People (who just met me or never knew me well) call me by the wrong name all the time. Eh... life's way too short to get upset about little stuff like that.

I shorten almost everyone's name if they are my friends - as kind of a term of endearment more than out of laziness, because I'm doing it to show familiarity and friendship. I also give nicknames.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's lazy. I dislike when people shorten my name and ask "do you like being called *insert shorter version of my name here*" I don't know why it upsets me so much. I think because there's no shorter version of my name that doesn't sound ugly. My name wasn't meant to be shortened, it doesn't have a shorter version of it like some names. (ie Samantha has Sam, Kathrine has Kat, Jessica has Jessi, Alexandira has Alex, etc etc.) One thing that I find intersting is, that mostly people who shorten my name are white. (My name is Mexican, and people who are Mexican never shorten my name) I don't know if it's becuase they can't pronuce it, if it's a culture thing, or what.

What Guys Said 25

• I think you're kind of reading too much into it. I think a lot of people like or simply don't mind having their name shortened. most of the time the people that say it are the people closest to them so it's clear that they love them and aren't trying to offend in anyway... But for example calling a guy Chris as opposed to Christopher just may be easier or more casual which is a sign of the closeness in relationship the people have

My Aunt called me Ad (shortened Adam) and I never felt like it was rude, de-classy, or anything like that. I felt like it was a term or sign of endearment

• i'll ask if its okay like I'll say "is it okay if I call you Liby". I always say a full name though.

• 1|1
  • My name has been shortened by people since time immemorial. I'm not bothered by it, in contrast I think it's nice. It shows a personal touch. My friends tend to make smart names based on word play on Asian names.
    However people not close to me shortening my name irks me a bit, but isn't rude in my opinion.

• Depends on the situation and the intent behind it.

If I'm working in a warehouse, I'm not going to holler out "ANASTASIA!!!" when I could simply use "Anna."

• when your name is as complicated as mine and people reduce it to a single letter like "Q" it really drives you crazy!!!

• Your name isn't that complicated. People are just lazy. ;P

• Don't answer them when they call it then. At least, it's a lot better than mine.

• wow that's bad and I thought I had it bad when people shortened my name to my nickname

• Anyone with an ounce of courtesy and respect, when they will be dealing with a new person on a regular basis, asks what they prefer to be called.

• No. I think it's rude and classless to give your baby an unpronouceable unamerican, 5 syllable tongue twister of a name.

• i don't care what people call me its not important
    https://youtu.be/wI7RIRQvEXs

• I'm pretty informal, and a huge fan of nicknames, so I do this a lot. I usually will ask if they mind tho before starting to call them by their nickname.

• Meh. I may sign my documents as "Nicholas", but in everyday speaking you can call me Nick.

• Have fun pronouncing Thaddeus bronkowskis

• It's about time, efficiency and convenience... not disrespect to the name.

• ...-_- "time, efficiency, and convenience" It really takes all that much time to use an entire extra 1 second or 2 saying someone's full name? -_- That sounds like a crock of ish.

• No not really

• this is exactly the story of my life... I do have a long and a little complicated name so it doesn't bother me much when people shorten my name... though now that I think about it maybe it is rude and classless

• It's unAustralian not to do it.

• it depend on the name and how the person feels about it

• Nah Kathy, I'm cool with it

• NO, I DON'T. You are one of those people?

• Have you heard the story of Tikki tikki tembo-no sa rembo-chari bari ruchi-pip peri pembo

• I never let them do that to me, and if they do I correct them immediately - but I can think of some famous people who do (or did) not like using their full name, such as Walt Disney. So I guess it depends on the person's preference.

• I don't know about being rude I think a lot of people just do it is a term of endearment. And if you have 26 letters in your name and 17 these and 14 YZ and it's hard to pronounce shortening it makes sense.

• Chillax Kath what's in a name yo?

• My real name is David, which means my nickname is automatically, Dave, I prefer to be called Dave because it's just easier. People only use David or add my middle name, why in in serious trouble, or even when I have someone call me by my initials, that's when I know I'm in extreme trouble

• When I'm in*

• Oh, and the only way to stop it, is when you tell them to stop, and if they don't, to not affiliate with them. But again, I don't mind them callin me Dave, it's just easier

• Nah not really. People shorten my name all the time and I don't mind it. If you don't like people shortening your name let them know.

What Girls Said 23

• you need to find some activities.. cuz this is not something to think about seriously..

• Ok Miss Elixer of life :p

• now you are getting worked up sweetie.. :) what's up? is this your time of the month? :P

• Sure heeheeeheeeeeeeee!!

• Yes, people have tried to do that to me by trying to call me Anna and I'll immediately pause like I'm confused and then correct them. "I go by Avivianna." Don't just decide you're going to call me something I don't like that I wasn't named because you can't handle 3 extra syllables. -_-

• I would call you Viv. On purpose. Every time. LOL.

• MrOracle and you would be ignored, on purpose, EVERY TIME. LOL Or I would have to chew you out for intentionally being an asshole.

• You'll enjoy life much more when you stop taking offense to things that don't matter.

I shorten peoples name because it's a natural habit.
    Either that, or it's a way to show I am "buddy buddy" or "familiar" with that person.
    It has nothing to do with being lazy.

You seem a little uptight.

• No, names matter. You are rude with no class if you think that they don't. I guess in America nothing respectable matters. And do not worry, I'm not going to kill myself just because my name is been shorten. I feel sad for others who shorten people's name.

• *being original

• Thank you lost cause!

• I honestly couldn't care so much bout that. My name is too long and I know it, even I couldn't remember it (since I go by my nicknames since forever) so how could I expect others to?

Most of the times people either call me by one of my nicknames or a short form of my first name. I'm cool with that.

• No. I don't think so. If the person is okay with it, then it's fine. Like, I don't see the big deal. If you have a problem with it, then call the person by their full name or ask people to call you by your full name, but don't go imposing your views on other people. That's is what is rude.

• I'm not really sure where you get the idea that this is a modern phenomena..

William has been Bill
    Robert has been Bob
    Edward has been Ed
    Richard has been Dick

For a long ass time.

it's sorta funny tho..

I mostly go by my nickname, and when people shorten it to just Bet, I don't care.

But if someone shortens my first name to its first syllable..

Well...

Someone is going to die.

• It definitely can be lazy. However, it depends on the person's preference. He/she may like the shortened version (s) of their name and may even ask if you can call him/her that. If you do not like it, though, the best thing to do is just ask or tell them that they call you by your full name.

• You're seriously over sensitive.

• I'll go by whatever they introduce themselves as

As for me, nearly everyone pronounces my full first name. It's only two syllables anyways. There have been a handful of people who tried shortening to one syllable but it sounds stupid and when i have this look on my face, they'll stop.

• really? of all the things that are happening in the world this is what you choose to be pissed off about?

• really? of all the things that are happening in the world this is what you choose to be pissed off about and have an opinion about? My question!
      haha stupid

• I'm that person. But I'll always ask if they mind me calling them something other than their name. I'd be more annoyed by someone constantly getting my name wrong than with someone who decides to shorten it.

• I stopped using my full first name. Ever since this dark period I went through I wanted people to just call me by the first 3 letters of my name. Felt like a fresh start for me in away.

• I don't mind it that much, I find it kind of cute when people call me things like aoif

• hi Kath :)

Now seriously. I don't think it is rude, but then again I never had my name shortened.

Maybe they did his with you too many times and that is why you feel it is rude.

I see it as being harmless.

• yes happens to me a lot in a business setting where i'm a paying customer.
    only the first syllable of my last name.
    extremely rude.

• If it suprises me.

• I am okay with it :)

If you don't like it, you can ask them nicely to call you by your full name.

• if its your name then just politely ask you be called your full name but for a trick call them what they introduce themselves by

• Nope, I prefer it when people shorten my name.

• You got some pretty strong feelings about something so trivial. Just say "actually I go by _____"

• I don't think it's really rude, but I can understand it being annoying at times. My name has never been shortened. People always make it longer by using a nickname XD

• not really... i shorten my name all the time xD

• I usually call them how they introduce themselves. I have a friend named Katherine, but she loves to go by Kate. That was her choice. If my male friend wanted me to call him Jonathan, I will call him that since he prefers it. My ex was named Anthony and wanted to be called that, he disliked nicknames, so I respected that. People can call me whatever they feel like, I'm not really bothered.