Tips for dyed hair?

I'm thinking of dying my hair (probably blue).

This will be the first time dying my hair, any tips for helping the colour stay in?
Or other stuff I should know before dying my hair?

I was going to dye it a fairly bright colours, to keep it bright will I need to dye it more than once? How often would I need to dye it to keep the colour strong?

Also what are some good products for dyed hair? Right now I use TRESemmé and they have a shampoo for dyed hair do you know if it's any good?

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• You need to bleach your hair to get maximum colour pay off and lasting power. If you have damaged hair, google/youtube bleach bath. You should tone it too. After that, you have to make sure your hair is washed and clean, bone dry before applying colour. You can leave most colours (especially manic panic) in for hours because they're non damaging. So leave it in for a good while before washing it out. Oh, protip: put vaseline around your hairline to prevent staining. Only use as much product as you need.

Use sulfate free shampoos and conditioners and aim to wash your hair only 2 times a week, 3 at the most to make sure the colour stays.

• Thanks a lot, is there a way I could do it without bleach? I don't want to damage my hair...

• Not if you want maximum colour pay off. If you aren't blonde, then the colour will come out muddy and uneven. Unless your hair is already naturally very blonde, it isn't going to look right.

• Tips?
    Have it done professionally, and use quality shampoo and conditioner.