Why can't I tan?

I spent over two hours in tanning bed last year, and barely changed my skin tone. I got more minutes at a tanning place and went yesterday with indoor tanning lotion this time and a bronzer and I'm still white (not even sunburn).

I've have dark hair and dark eyes so I should tan very easily. It makes so angry to see these blonde women with darker skin than me. grrrrrr

Most Helpful Girl

• It could be that you just don't know how to utilize the tanning bed properly. In order to get a tan and keep that tan, you need to go to the tanning bed for a week straight in the beginning. You'll need to start with a short time, nothing more than 5-7 minutes, and as you see tanning, you can steadily increase your time. If you simply go to the tanning bed once a week expecting a perfect tan, it isn't going to happen. However, after a week to two weeks of tanning steadily, you should be able to cut back your time to about twice a week to keep your tan.

Additionally, you need to make sure that you're using the right lotion. If you're still having trouble tanning, you may want to use a tingle lotion. It will help speed up blood circulation. I would avoid using a brozing lotion in the beginning because it can make a tan uneven. You'll also need a good skincare regimen, meaning that you'll either want a heavy lotion (something like Vaseline lotion or Olay Quench) or a tan extender that you can find at tanning salons. Dry skin does affect the UV lights of a tanning bed because dry skin will not absorb the light as well as moisturized skin. You'll also need to exfoliate your skin 1-2 a week to get rid of those dry skin cells and improve your tan.

• Thanks for the good advice! I actually *think* I know what the problem is......I always turned on the facial feature, which I just found out is only for the face lol. That is why my face is tan but the rest of me is white?? I will go back tomorrow and leave the facial off the entire time and see what happens.

What Girls Said 2

• you're obviously a vampire.

• That doesn't sound safe or possible, so I'd check with a doctor.

What Guys Said 1

• Low levels of melanin in your skin. Two factors need to be done to increase the levels of melanin. The first factor is increased sun exposure(you did that) and the second factor is to increase levels of vitamin A and B. Also lower your levels of vitamin C(the counteraction of melanin production).