This question is for Black people?

Why are black men able to grow their hair long but black women can't grow as much hair? I see a lot of black guys with long dreads and the gals need to wear extensions.. For the record i love black women, am not racist

Most Helpful Girl

• Well from my experience, it's not that our hair grows all that much slower than their hair. I used to get relaxers when I was younger and experimented with color. This dried my hair out and the ends needed to be cut or sometimes it would break off. So my hair should be a lot longer, but it's growing now that I don't put any chemicals in it (I wear it "natural"). I do put in clip in extensions from time to time, for a couple of days if I feel like it , just to change it up. Also, I don't flat iron or curl my hair regularly. Just wash comb add leave in conditioner and go. (i blow dry on low sometimes if I'm in a rush). Also, as a culture black women tend to think that our hair needs to look like what we see on tv (white women) for our hair to be seen as beautiful. I didn't love my hair for it's uniqueness until about a year ago. All hair is beautiful and people should love what they have :) But experimentation for fun is fine if you want, but there could be consequences for it later. (ie. heat damage, breakage)

What Girls Said 4

• The reason is because black women use products such as relaxers and lots of heat and that ruins their hair, this breaking it off. It happened to me as well but my hair has grown back as you can see. My other black friend has hair down her back because she uses no chemicals and flat irons it rarely. We can grow out hair out if we don't use damaging chemicals in our hair.

• We can grow our hair out just as easily. There isn't a difference between genders. Not as many women wear dreads but the ones who do can get it just as long as guys. Also you have no idea of knowing who's wearing weave and who isn't. Also plenty of long haired girls wear weave. Weave is just for fashion not because you're bald underneath

• Well dreads don't grow overnight. They take time. I know many females with long, beautiful dreads that they've been growing for years. And another thing is this: not every female that wears extensions has short hair.

• i don't know what's the mean of beautiful dreads ,(my English is poor , so can you explain it )

• What in the what

What Guys Said 5

• Black women can grow it out long, hell, I think when black women grow their natural hair long it is far more attractive than extensions

• stupid haha..

• Listen sucka. I’m blacker than the ace of spades and more militant than you and your whole damned army put together. And while you’re out there chanting at rallies and brow beating politicians, I’m taking out any money frontin’ sucker on a humble that gets in my way, so I'll tell you what. When your so-called Revolution starts, you call me and I'll be right down in front showing you how it's done. But until then, you need to SHUT THE FUCK UP when grown folks is talkin!

• Stop smoking that shit bro!

• I know the question is for Black people (which I'm not) but back in the day just look at some of the musical groups (60's-70's) and you can see a lot of women with big, beautiful Afros. It does exist.

• I'm black and know many black women who easily grow long hair. Yes, many wear extensions, but many don't.