What should a 42 year old wear?

I'm 42 years old and don't want to look frumpy but I'm now too old for short skirts and converse! so what style would look good on me - I'm 5ft 8 and slim with blond hair. Thanks

Thank you for all the helpful ideas :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the best to dress for your age is to understand your style personality. I think being in your 40's, it's important to get more serious about the way you dress. Skirts should get a little longer and nothing funky. You should have a pair of good fitting denim jeans, a few crisp cotton shirts in white or neutral colours, a great little black dress; a few merino wool sweaters in your most flattering neckline be it crew or V-neck; a cardigan for winter or chilly nights in the summer (cardigan is a MUST!); a swimsuit that fits well and is flattering; a go-with-everything blazer (black or navy); a warm classic winter coat; a good-looking handbag; two pairs of shoes -- a comfy flat and a classic pump.

Check out some of these stores: RW&CO. (this store is a must! Even if you have no idea what to buy or what type of clothes you want to buy, this store will get you going. Plus, they have decent prices and amazing sales.), Le chateau, Rietman's (this one is a really good one too!), Suzy, and Twigland Fashions.

Ann Taylor, Chico's, Talbots and Coldwater Creek are good for the professional wear.

If you are looking for more visual ideas, check some of these links out:

I really do hope this helps.