Why do people think so badly about being blonde?

I just read this take:
http://www.girlsaskguys.com/girls-behavior/a23486-blondes-really-do-have-more-fun?fp=true

I think it's quite exaggerated yes, but if you look at the reactions. People are really mean about blonde girls. Saying that they're dumb, slutty and ugly.
The worst part is, those people who say that get a lot of upvotes!
Why do people think it's okay to bash people with a certain hair colour?
I was born with blonde hair and never dyed it. I experience in life also a lot of hate against blonde hair and for some reason people think it's justified.
Why is that? Is it because some people think it's preferred by men to be blonde and that's why it's okay to be so mean?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because an attractive blonde is the iconic beautiful woman ( see Marilyn Monroe). Partially because it requires two recessive genes making blondes far rarer than brunettes ( that rarity like the value of gold, a finite resource is enhanced by both being similar, at least metaphorically, in color.)

That will likely never change and the result is a general attitude - with no basis in reality - that blondes are for some reason - supposed to be dumber by the fact they are blonde. Not true but a convenient scapegoat for an historically more valued commodity.

Though the gene is recessive, it makes up in part for the limited population in that blondes are usually perceived to be the "alpha" female and will be pursued by the alpha males to a greater degree. This would contradict the stereotype of the "dumb blonde" as they would have the strongest and most superior genetic components that would be further increased as that characteristic grows stronger through generations. Oddly, I've never heard blondes being considered either more attractive (or, conversely, more stupid, in males). It seems that lacking the natural advantage fairness in females seems to confer, there is less negative stereotyping as well.

• That's what I think as well. People think that because being blonde is more rare, it should be seen as more attractive, although reality says something different. Most guys nowadays don't prefer blonde girls at all. So you're always in this losing situation where you get bashed on by people because of their sort of jealousy, while the jealousy is not justified since being blonde doesn't has an advantage above other hair colours after all.

Most Helpful Girl

• i have NO mean opinions towards blonde girls. theyre great! they really are, but i CANNOT STAND girls like that chick who wrote the take. they either genuinely believe or troll about the idea that their fcxking hair influences how wonderful they are as a person in comparison to everyone else. gimme a break! -.-

id say the EXACT same thing to a brunette who did the same.

• Good. I think it's also stupid to put so much importance on a freaking hair colour. But I thought the reactions were really harsh.

• i know it's ridiculous!
      in all honesty i didn't expect anything less. she didn't reply to a single opinion which already indicates she knew she'd spark criticism.

What Guys Said 25

• Sadly it is just the way society is these days. Blondes get this, so do men from a lot of women, so do women from men, Asians get accused of being poor drivers when they are not all poor drivers and there are just as many poor western world drivers to, people judge people by their skin colour or the country they come from and the list goes on and on and on. People need to start looking past someones exterior and judge someone from their actual actions and behaviour not by their hair colour or whatever else but will that change no it won't sadly.

• Yeah but when your hear anything about racism on this site, you'll get totally bashed, but being put down to the ground for your hair colour is totally fine? Isn't it pretty much the same thing?

• Yes, I mean I like to hear peoples points of views but shut off and loose all interest if people are just strait out misogynists or misandrists.

• The particular woman I am talking about is just a strait out misandrist. She is flooding GAG with men hate stuff. She posted about 50 opinions on one take alone.

• The post you mention is in fact a reflection of the 'blonde mysique', common in countries where there are not many blondes. A lot of guys, especially in the USA of our parents' generation, believe blondes are sexier ('more fun') and as you see, some girls buy into that media-driven myhtology as well, driven by the extra attention they in fact get when they dye their hair blonde.

Even though most of that 'attention' comprises harassment and pestering!

• I thought being blonde was pretty common in the USA...
      Although looking at the reactions, guys don't prefer blonde at all and even make negative comments about it.
      Only where being blonde is extremely rare like in the middle east or Africa or something it could be something seen as unique and special, but the only thing you get then is people harassing you.
      I think it's weird that if I make a serious bad stereotype about something somebody is born with like race, I'm suddenly a racist and get bashed by people, but to totally bash people with a certain hair colour with wich they were born with is totally fine. Why do I need to cnage my hair colour and by that damaging my hair to avoid negative comments?

• I'd say over half the 'blondes' in the US are dyed...
      We in our generation tend to turn the blonde mystique around, and tell jokes about how dumb they are.

• It's just hair at the end of the day. I know what you mean though. On paper, as a blond GUY, I'm seen as less desirable and attractive, all I heard growing up was that women want "tall, dark, and handsome." Blond hair is also sometimes seen as less manly as well. Is what it is, I've never found it to stand in my way, although I'm sure there have been women who have not been attracted to me because of my features, but whatever, you can't have 'em all, haha.

• Well I've known some smart blonde girls and generally nice people, I prefer to let the person themselves determine what I think about them, not their hair color.

• Such people are stupid... there are lots of smart blondes, they are beautiful and definitely not "slutty".

• It's rare in the States, therefore a lot of American men do in fact like blondes, but that is because they are far rarer due to the rather mixed bag American genes tend to be. It's that whole "diversify the gene pool" thing that is apparently built in. Regardless, I don't think that having ancestors from Northern Europe should warrant the way people act towards blondes. You can't affect your ancestors any more than anyone else. Quite frankly I think that people just like to pick on those whom they consider different, whether it be for the way you look, nationality, skill/lack thereof etc.

• Well I crapped on that take as well but I never made fun of blondes in it (I'm a blond dude after all).

I guess people are just so insecure they can't accept a world where people that have different physical attributes from them are not beneath them because of it...

• You live in a country where your blondes are just like everyone else, so not stupid.
    Here in the US, a lot of our blondes tend to act their stereotype, ESPECIALLY on the West Coast and in Florida. So it's another case of US-views making things on this site go haywire.

• Well that's pretty stupid.
      Although being blonde here is definitely not preferred anymore. Most guys like darker hair.

• Makes sense. I'm sure there's a ton of blondes in the Netherlands, and because of that guys are going to want something different, a "new flavor" so to speak. The irony is many of the guys here in the US (where most of the women have darker features) would LOVE to date a blonde/blue eyed girl because of how "rare" it is over here. So the men in your country probably want Mediterranean women (France, Spain) since they have dark features since it's a rarity where they're at now but not in those countries.
      I've noticed this with my interactions with blondes myself. I actually have a fair amount of blonde women that give me attention, despite blondes in the US being a small percentage of women. The reason is because many of them actually like my "boring" brown hair/eyes since it's different from the truck load of guys that are brown/blonde hair with blue/gray eyes they're used to seeing.

• Because some people are retarded.

Any answer that isn't identical to mine is wrong.

• Hair color is completely irrelevant. Only an idiot thinks hair color has any influence on personality or intelligence, there's no evidence supporting that. They're completely unrelated.

• Nope. Most of my crushes were blond and they're all smart of course.

• I thought the same thing I don't know I think its stupid haricism is a real thing. Apparently blond boys get bad stereotypes too lol.

• I don't. I actually have positive feelings toward blondes to the extent that they are my favorite, though I realize that this has now become an unpopular opinion.

• It didn't start off as bad... blonde girls were and are chased by a lot of guys. Sometimes with the good comes a little bad when there is a lot of exposure

• What if I told you that that's not true at all. Most guys I know like girls with darker hair a lot more.

• If people treat you badly just because of your hair color, they are fucking stupid. I treat everyone with respect unless they treat me with no respect then its game on. Sorry for the assholes who treated you bad.

• I don't like white features, I prefer non-white features so that's why I don't like women with blonde hair etc.

• My answer is the same as in the article. These girls are jealous of blondes. Your beauty is exceptional and rare.

• In my experience its because they are jelly, only wishing they had this hair without looking fake.

• I think it was just harsh reactions to the harsh myTake.

• I agree, it was written by a girl in anger and that comes across in her myTake. It also states things I don't believe and it is constantly putting down other hair colours.

• @Applefan1 Yep. Nobody's fault, just channeled anger.

• Yeah those people in the comments should not have said what they said about blonde girls but that girl that wrote the take also put out the bait to attract those comments in the first place. So both are at fault.

• It's something to do.

• Would that I had a blonde girlfriend like you 💕

• They're jealous. I love natural blondes.

• Dumb and slutty work for me

• Haha i love your username, goed gekozen

• I agree, it's not right to steoreotype. Some people give people who are similar to them a bad name.

I agree, the dumb thing is a little silly. Maybe some are jealous. Although I do know a few slutty blondess, but then again same with other hairs too!

But could you check out mine pls about this odd blonde? www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1677761-why-do-i-fantasize-about-this-female-friend-who-wronged-me

What Girls Said 4

• :( well us blondes are doomed. Though mine turned dark. It used to be a light blonde but now it's darker. So not sure if i'm still blonde or light brunette. God I hope it's not light brunette because I like being a blonde.

I guess nobody loves us. :'(
    i0.kym-cdn.com/.../66a.png

• I guess it's sort of that bias. A lot of blondes I met were kinda ditzy and airheaded. I'm not saying all, but a lot. This probably doesn't even have to do with them being blonde, they'd probably be just as big dumbasses if they were brunettes or redheads.

And here is where our flawed, tiny human brain will use that little confirmation bias. We probably ignore the stupid, slutty, vain, vapid brunettes or say it's more of an individual thing with them. While we purposely group blondes into that category we already predetermined for them.

Just like with any other groups and stereotypes. It happens.

• From my experience, some of my friends are jealous of blondes because... blonde hair shines in the sunlight...

• That's kinda stupid then. Healthy hair shines in the sunlight. No matter what colour.

• I know, but blonde hair color is more compatible with the color of sunlight :P

• People will bitch about anything.