Should I consider modeling?

I'm just at university and I'm very happy, I'm going through my second year at the moment but ever since my first week in London I have been getting "scouted" by modeling agencies, I always thought "no way I'm not pretty enough" but it happened a bit too often and I'm starting to think to myself that a lot of girls would kill for this chance so is it something that is worth me at least giving a chance?

Most Helpful Guy

• Don't do it. Know former models. They say it's an incredibly shit industry.

If you're being scouted, you have the look. Clean lines, tall, thin.

The pay is not very good. When you're working per hour it's good, but the total take is not that good. However thin and pretty you were, as a model, you constantly (apart from brief glorious moments) feel that you're not thin enough and not pretty enough.

The industry is full of sleazebags who will be implying, sometimes with accuracy, that they could be helping your career if you were fucking.

You get to go to clubs/parties where you're the live bait for rich guys who will throw you free drinks and drugs trying to get in your pants.

If you're good looking and in London, I suspect you could pull down great money as a waitress in an after work drinks spot in the city if you want part time work. Bankers tip will, easier and more reliable money than modeling and doesn't leave you with hammered self esteem. I'm in a poorer financial center than london, and the waitresses in the financial core spots can make like 80k/year if they're working a lot of hours.

By contrast the average full time model in the u. s. is making 27k.

• Haha sounds like a plan but me and waiting tables is not exactly going to work ;) thank you so much for your advice it's really useful and I'll really consider it :)

• I mean if you want to try it a bit, go ahead, just really keep your head, be willing to walk away, accept you're just doing it a little and don't NEED to 'make it' as a model, and that most of whether you get hired or rejected for any job is just some vision in the person deciding's head about what they want - it's not a judgement of YOU.

Most Helpful Girl

• Modelling isn't a job you can have forever or one you can be one of the few who make it big
    I suggest just to continue with your studies and If you really want to model
    Do it on the side and not as often
    Rather get that degree

What Guys Said 12

• some of these agencies are actually porn production. Just saying.

• Haha I made sure first ;)

• No Im serious. You go to their office, sit on the famous ''casting couch'' and before you realise it you're naked in the office fucking the director to get the job. You can find hundreds of casting videos of girls who wanted to just model.

• Yea I'm not that kind of girl for sure haha plus I would never go by myself to something like that, I'm waaaay too paranoid plus I checked out all of the agencies on the Internet and looked for any scam history😊 thanks for the advice 😊😊😊

• Give it a shot
    It won't hurt

• Sounds like u have a balanced view of Yourself. F u nd the cash, try part time modelling c how it goes, that way u have sum control bout wot u model without throwing away your education

• The 'chance' is probably misleading... Agencies work on a numbers game, the more people they have on their books, the more chance they will have the kind of people their clients are looking for.
    By all means sign up, but don't expect the phone to ringing off the hook with offers from Prada etc

• sure, if you want. it's your life

• Finish uni... You will still be hot. But prioritise education. Investigate it a little sure but finish your degree :-)

• Yes. Do it.

• Do you want to do it?

• go for it.

• Ask your best friends.
    If they think you're pretty enough. Go for it.
    because they never encourages you.

• if you can do it!

• Yea sure. Give it a go and at least its good for your resume.

What Girls Said 7

• I had a friend who who is a model he told me that serious modeling agencies never scout for people, the competition in the area is too big to go and ask random people in the streets

• Go for it! You can give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work. But if it works out, then that is awesome! It doesn't hurt to try, right? :)

• yes if you want to! Why not>?

• I don't think it would be worth it.

• yeah sure but donot ignore your studies, have a back up plan.

• no when he propose this kind of think it's just for 2 or 3 picture that's all

• Getting big and have modeling as a living is something very difficult. One day you may be out, it's all about getting lucky and looks. It is a tough industry and be prepared to get a lot of negative feedback. I have some bad and good experiences from modeling, sometimes you're not good enough and they will tell you that for sure, you have to learn how to be able to stand critic. If you enjoy modeling then I think you should do it. It is every girls dream and it's definitely fun but be prepared for the "bad" side of the modeling industry. Maybe I'm taking it too far now but if you're planning on making it big then this is a part of what you need to know. Be confident, smile and love your body!