Why is there so many attractive people (guys and girls) who view themselfs as ugly?

Most Helpful Guy

• Psychology.

Basically they tell themselves I their head they are ugly, not good enough, worthless that they will eventually see themselves that way. They developed mental habits that destroy their self esteem. Those kinds of people tend to base all of their self esteem on one thing and if it's ever called into question they will break

• Man that'd be the saddest thing. Like as if you always say yourself through a distorted mirror

• Yea. I was lucky enough to not have bullies until I was older. I was surrounded by friends from kindergarten till middle school. That's when I had my first bully. Luckily I decided to fight him the first time he tried bullying me. It was a new school and he was "the cool kid". So I didn't make any friends by standing up to him lol. But my safety, self respect and sell esteem were intact. I protected the few friends I did have in middle school. I saw what bullying can do to friends of mine. When I'm a parent if I even remotely feel like my kid is becoming a bully I'll check him quick

• Yeah, you had luck, my friend! To have friends around you all the time when you were between 10 and 15 years old. That's when bullying have the most impact on the brain, which forms scars that may never go away, huh? You never know

What Guys Said 15

• They are usually their own worst critics

• They're usually full of shit (fishing for compliments) + only say that now, because they know that if they chose to call themselves "beautiful/handsome" (when it's pretty obvious that they're). That the haters would come out of the woodwork to prove them wrong or to point out their every flaw, right?

So why not call yourself ugly (or not even bring up your looks) and get complimented x444 in 2 mins by your peers?

• Cuz like I always say, "good looking people know damn well that they look good. And if they didn't know... their peers/strangers would clue them in on it, right? Via looks and compliments." LOL

• Late bloomers. Went through middle school, Jr high, or high school as a not very appealing person.

Eventually developed physically, or just general maturity cleaned up some flaws and/or made some features more appealing (or just got into fitness of some sort), they then look fine as hell, but mentally are still their old fugly self.

Also, some are intimidating. The lack of people openly showing interest can make someone question whether or not they're good looking.

• Everyone wants to criticize others.
    Skinny is low self-esteem, eating disorders
    Fat is lazy, unmotivated
    Muscly is obsessed dumb meatheads.

You can't win sometimes lol, there will always be people beating down on each other.

• Because people know all their issues... simplest example that happens to me sometimes is that after I finish shaving my beard, I notice that the blade is dull from the amount of very very tiny leftover hairs. If I'm in a hurry and I had to leave like this, I get self conscious and everytime someone gets close, I start wondering if they noticed or not. Of course when I leave I do know that you wouldn't notice until you actually go looking for it but the details some people especially girls notice about me always make me surprised.

• It is odd alright the way most people seem to think they look worse than they actually do or have a an inconsistent view of themselves probably some manifestation of the insecurity we all seem to have about our looks deep down.

• I've wondered that myself.
    Some are just trying to play the victim or trying to appear way too humble. But some really do seem to have very severe self loathing and self esteem issues, and just can't see their own worth.

• Aye some people are jaded so they really don't see themselves as others do

• In my opinion the standard of beauty is always changing so when they think theyre good looking then something changes and they dont or aren't seen as beautifull anymore

• Low self-confidence. Lack of male/female attention. Lots of reasons.

• Its most likely Because most of us get called ugly and start to believe it, some ( like me ) are actually ugly, some however can be extremely beautiful

• Because if we called ourselves beautiful what would we be?

• They have what's calling "comparing syndrome". They're always comparing themselves

• My mom once told me, "some ugly people perceive themselves as more attractive and some attractive people perceive themselves as ugly." I think it may be due to them either not having a companion to compliment their looks or a past companion who called them ugly when they were not.

• Some of them were ugly when they were younger and got bullied for it.

What Girls Said 16

• I don't know! But they gorgeous!

• Because when you are used to getting attention for your looks you will crave more and more attention which will require that you continuously upgrade your looks.

• There's not. They fish for attention and they don't seem to realize that desperation is not a good look.

• Everyone is their own harshest critic and has different standards of what "attractive" is.

• I'm insecure about a lot of things, attractiveness being one of them. (I could rant for a while, so I'll *try* to be concise) I will argue about my attractiveness with people sometimes if the subject arises, because I need their approval of me to view myself that way, and most of time it doesn't work anyway, so I do it even more. And I absolutely hate myself for it. I hate being conceited, self-pitying, and talking about myself. I have recently been making conscious efforts to avoid talking about myself too much when conversing. I'm in general a conflicted person, e. g. I don't like it when people put me on any kind of pedestal, because I'm a total people-pleaser, and I'm afraid I'll disappoint them, but at the same time, I have a lot of insecurities (so I'll fish for societal approval) and also a lot of pride. ("concise" XD)

• Insecurities can really tear you down if you let them, so dont let them :P

• I stopped ritalin basically because I was addicted to it. hahahah... So I lost my doctor because he said he would not treat me anymore because he could lose his license... so you can see the problem. But nowadays I'm with the same doctor... he accepted me back. So well, no harm done. hahaha

• Well, better luck with medication in the future :) Thanks for the advice ^-^

• there's always someone better they compare themselves too
    some are just ugly ducklings turned swans who never got their junior high image out of their mind

as for me, i'm actually ugly. i'm a bit of an arrogant person, so if i knew i was good-looking, i'd have no problem acknowledging it.

• Society dictates what is beautiful in men and women. We see this from a very young age so yea it takes a hit to our self worth.

• Some of them have probably been called ugly when they were younger. Also everybody wants what the can't have.

• Because we are our own worst critics. And some people have been called unattractive and ugly so much that it just sticks.

• Because some people feel if they don't have a certain look they aren't attractive.

• one thing that makes people atractive sometimes is that they are down to earth. I view myself ugly though people say I look good becuase of my past and when I look in the mirar I see my flaws not my pros. Plus people are more attractive when they dont talk about how handsome/beatiful they are

• Low self-esteem derived from their parents

• because they get the backlash of jealous people who straight up discriminate them for the way they look just because they want what they have. We want what we don't have.

• Low self esteem primarily.

• Because they're either:

• Fishing for compliments

Or

• They genuinely feel that way.

• Well, human never satisfied