Why do you tan?

I personally find a tanned and darker skin tones to look healthier (compared to a gothic Vampire pale look), but why do you tan if not for cosmetic reasons?

• It looks better
  • It has some other health benefit
  • Because other people do
For everyone posting smart ass answers, you obviously know my question is referring to people who do tan on purpose and not asking why the skin darkens in light

Most Helpful Guy

• -Makes me happy, seriously
    -Makes me look good (muscle definition, and the color in general)
    -Loosens my muscles up for the workout (i tan right before working out at the gym usually)

Most Helpful Girl

• A bit of A and B. I feel that I look better and I also feel better from the vitamin D.

What Guys Said 14

• I've heard, from several women (married, with kids) that they take a little vibrator, and they masturbate when they tan, becasue the tanning bed makes a 'buzzing' sound, like the little vibrator toy, and they are alone, and won't be interrupted!
    Is this common, ladies? Be honest!! No judgements!!

• this is one of my favorite topics to talk about

only some people can pull off a tan and these people usually have a warm skin tone and a decent amount of melanin AND dark features like eyes an hair

then you have those people who don't have a warm skin tone and a decent amount of melanin who tan because they see bitchez like the kardashians or whatever and think "oh my fawd I would look fabulous with a tan". so they tan and they get burnt lmfao but they keep doing t and they eventually become a ugly ass orange-brownish...

this is what I call "orange bitchez" yea uh guys can be orange bitchez too

conclusion: if you have the features for a tan go for it cuz you'll look sexy and world class af

if you don't got the features stay the way you are please. I actually like light skin and dark hair (that's hot), but if you're insecure and try to look like all those orange bitchez on instagram then yea you're a orange bitch

I just wrote a essay ahaha

• I tan for the Vitamin D.

• "but why do you tan if not for cosmetic reasons? " -- First option is "It looks better". Do you know what "cosmetic" means lol...

Anyway.

I tan, because I stay in the sun long enough to tan.

Luckily enough I have Spanish blood (albeit a small amount) and I tan quite well.

• Clearly that part doesn't pertain to the poll but for the commenters who didn't select an option on the poll. I'm guessing you're not articulate enough to know that though

• articulate

adjective
      adjective: articulate
      ärˈtikyələt/
      1.
      (of a person or a person's words) having or showing the ability to speak fluently and coherently.

If you can't convey language coherently you probably can't comprehend it either. That's the law of syllogism at work there. But I guess your own pretentiousness makes you blind to the workings of deductive reasoning

• S-P-E-A-K you absolute plum.

ELOQUENT is the word you're looking for.

• If I tanned naturally I would let it happy but I wouldn't go to the trouble of tanning artificially.

• I don't need it. Im already coloured.

• why do i tan? it just happens

• Why do I tan
    Because I like to read books in the sun and it just kinda happens as a side effect.
    I'm Italian American so its really fucking easy for me to tan by just being in the sun

• I can't tan unfortunately. I wish I could because I'm way too pale lol

• My Celtic ancestry means I burn, not tan.

• I came factory made with a bronze skin tone so no need for me

• Do I LOOK like I tan?

• Women who use tanning beds are more at risk of developing melanoma.

• You can tan without a tanning bed... there's literally so many options

• i know, have a sister. just saying

• I don't tan. Fake tanning is bad for the skin, and I don't actually tan in the sun, I burn, so, I'm pretty white. I like girls of both pale and tanned kind, as long as she's attractive to me

What Girls Said 15

• I don't tan, I like pale skin more. And I remember in Biology class that tanning isn't healthy. I don't know why a lot of people think it looks healthy. My mom for example, she always tries to make me go to tan because everything looks better on tanned skin and bla, bla. 😒

• Well because pale skin is associated with sickness and disease. When people get sick they tend to become pale and thin

• @Asker, most white people's skin are around the shade I circled, which isn't pale at all. http://imgur.com/n72RMX8 And I live in a city where it's a miracle to see other race than white (in my whole life in this city I saw about 10 black people and 2 East Asian people).
      And I think you are just trolling. 😏

• Trolling because I'm disagreeing with you? Most white people are pale. There's nothing wrong with it but you're really angry because you don't want to accept it. Yes, when you are sick you look more pale but, in general, being pale doesn't automatically mean you look sick if you take care of yourself. Most white people are pale but all have different undertones. But again, you're 17, I really don't expect you to have that much expertise about skin color and varying degrees of melanin that affects it

You need to relax

• I don't see the point of it. Yeah I guess some people look good with a nice tan, but I'm content with my very pale skin. I don't mind getting occasionally compared to a porcelain doll. ;) Plus, several people in my family have gotten skin cancer and their dermatologists said it was directly related to so much tanning (both from the sun and tanning beds). Not interested in getting skin cancer.

• It looks better, that's why.

• I have been Tanning and fanning for 10 years and still counting here, dear. I woke up one day and said "I don't want to be white anymore."
    I do this Strategically and Sensibly and never have had a problem.
    Good luck. xx

• I don't purposely tan. I do not go to a tanning salon and I do not lie outside for the purpose of achieving a tan. I do however love the feeling of the sun on my skin. It makes me feel happy. I have SAD and honestly without the sun (like in the winter months when we do not get much sun) I get very depressed. So, I make sure when I can to get outside and get a little sun, but if I stay out for prolonged periods of time without sunscreen, I will burn. If I go out a little at a time I tan slowly throughout the summer.

• I think it loos sexier i mean its hot i love my tann

• I don't tan. I think tan doesn't look good on me.
    My face is a bit tanned though, from being outside, but the rest of me is white 🤓.

• I don't tan. This color was given to me since birth.

• It makes them look nice! I like to stay out of the sun!

• I do not tan at all. I have a very fair skin. Tanning just hurts me. So I do not like it.

• "other" health benefits?

• Like for depression (though the tanning itself isn't necessarily the goal in this case)

• ahh, yea. getting sun boosts my moods

• I don't tan. My skin burns too easily because it is so fair.

• *Pale. The word fair makes it seem like pale is the only beautiful skin color

• No there's not? You can be pale and not look sickly. Here's an actual definition of "fair skinned":

fair-skinned
      adjective
      (of a person) having pale or relatively pale skin.

• "Pale" is a made up word to describe someone who is sickly in appearance. It just means that your skin looks white when it really shouldn't be. Fairness is a complexion, not a temporary state.

Also, nobody said fair skin was the only beautiful skin color, nor was I trying to imply that. I don't know how you got the idea that it was.

• I don't tan anymore since they realized how bad it is for people, but I LOVE the feeling of laying in a tanning bed. It gave me a boost of feel good chemicals. What a shame it causes cancer.

• I don't tan and I can't tan. I look abnormally pale.

• I don't do it on purpose, it just happens. I don't care about it either way tbh