Am I fat or is my mom jealous?

My mom always says I'm fat. Especially when I wear figure hugging clothes.

I'm a size 7...about 136lbs and I'm 5'8". Is that fat (well I know it's not fat but maybe chubby?

Sometimes I think my mom is jealous because she has A cup boobies and wear size 3 jeans, while I have thick thighs, round butt, and B cup. So does she really think I'm fat or does she secretly wish she were my size?

Sorry no pics guys...

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't tell you what your mom thinks, or how you look, based on a single post, but I will say this:

It's not unheard of for mother's to be jealous, or feel they need to compete with their daughters. It sucks to get old and see someone who resembles you in the prime of their life! Parents are not perfect, and I, for one, developed A LOT of eating problems at one point in my life because my mom's insecurity/eating disordered behavior made me feel horrible.

The important thing is tove yourself. If you need approval of others, get more opinions. Ask friends who you know will be honest with you, whether you need to lose a few lbs. Look around you in public areas; do you notice people noticing you (in a good way)? There are many beautiful body types, and the most important thing is for you to feel good in your own skin. Screw what your mom says.

What Guys Said 9

• Your BMI =20.7 here: link

BMI Categories:

* Underweight = <18.5

* Normal weight = 18.5-24.9

* Overweight = 25-29.9

* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

• You're not fat. Just as long as your gut doesn't hang out of your clothes.

• I don't have a gut. All my weight is in my butt and thighs.

Even if I had a gut I wouldn't let it hang out of my clothes.

• Skinny and a ghetto booty? Win! =D

your not fat.

• If don't have a gut, muffin top or slopiness you sound really hot not fat

• your deffinatly not fat , your actually a healthy weight for your height , I would say your mum is being fussy .. just being a mum , I wouldn't go as far as saying she is jealous I would just think she is being critical

• she is jealous you seen to have a great body

• I would.

• I have to say, you should like a nice average girl. Don't worry about what other people think, be happy for who you are.

• ...too much information (and no this does not really help you in any way)

• Too much information? Umm...this happens to be a personal question. Am I supposed to ask if I'm fat without giving any background information and expect a good answer?

• Relax it was just a little sarcastic humor

• Parents aren't perfect and can be so cruel and damaging and not even realize it. Frankly I'm appaled by the girls comments on here. Your mom's don't seem to get it and I'm curious what your dad's have to say about this. Maybe they're not around and maybe your mom's think they left because of their weight (I'm just speculating). What I do know is that my daughter will NEVER hear that she is fat from me. What she will hear is her dad loves her unconditionally and trusts her to make the right decisions with regard to her weight, lifestyle etc! Same goes for her mom. I don't think she ever would but if she did happen to say something like our daughter was "overweight" or something I would publicly disagree and admonish her for saying that. I only wish more parents were like this. There would be a lot more confident women in this world and probably less teen moms, eating disorders, and drug use. Just one dad's opinion. By the way I'm 35 and my daughter is 5 and beautifully confident.

• I don't think my dad knows that she says I'm fat. He's definitely never said I was fat or anyone else for that matter.

Also, my mom picks on me about how I look in general (like if I have a pimple on my face she will definitely point it out), but my weight is her favorite thing to pick on me about. Maybe she just wants me to look perfect.

• You need to have a heart to heart with your mom. If she gives a sh*t about you she'll listen and respond accordingly. Also, let your dad know.

• No way is this fat. Really? Size 7 and 5'8"? Umm I think that is probably the IDEAL size by most men's standards. So you're definitley not fat! Now as for your mom being jealous its hard to say. She may ACTUALLY think you're fat. I mean after all she sounds anorexic. She has no t*ts and by the fact that she wears a size 3 she has no ass either. This is great if its what she likes and your dad likes but I'm guessing that your folks are probably divorced because there aren’t many couples that stay married for a long time where the wife is that obsessed about her weight. It speaks tons about her happiness and the focus on the external versus internal. My suggestion for you is to tell your mom not to call you fat because it doesn’t do your self esteem any good. Also add that you (and your boyfriends) like your body just how it is so its too bad she doesn’t. Also, take the time to educate her that there are different body types and different people find different body types attractive…In fact that’s how she got your dad because he was into anorexic chicks? JK. Seriously though, talk to her and be the adult about it because she doesn’t appear to be acting like one. I'm sorry your mom is so cruel.�

• Well my mom used to be even more skinnier than she is now (she really does look anorexic in like old pictures of her), and yeah my parents are divorced so you were right about that.

What's worse is that not only does she call me fat, but she also tells me that I should lose weight. Most of the time I just ignore it because I'm used to it but sometimes she goes too far to the point of actually hurting my feelings

• Just know your mom doesn't know everything and isn't always right. Trust yourself and don't be afraid to challenge her. Stand up for your beliefs. Agree to disagree but don't allow her to call you names. Just because she birthed you DOESNT give her the right!

What Girls Said 17

• I was skinny as a rake growing up, always the smallest in my class etc. But my younger brother always called me fat, I got a complex about it and when I turned 14 and all my puberty hormones fully kicked in I gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time.

I was over weight but never once did my mum say I was fat, if it looked like I was getting too big she's encourage me to go walking with her and we'd all (the whole family) go on a healthy eating lifestyle change. This didn't help much as it's in my genetics to be a little bigger than average (Thanks Auntie Marie lol).

The thing that p*ssed me off the most is she knew I had a complex I considered stopping my food intake and or throwing up purposefully, but I knew that was the wrong road to take. My mother knew full well that my little brother was taunting me (He is 6.3ft with not an ounce of fat on him) and yet never did anything about it to make him stop. Even now when I saa myself in the mirror if I have lost some weight I still see myself as fat.

I'm 5.1 ft, and weight 76 kg. I know I'm over weight but I've also got 2 kids.

• Considering you're 5'8, hell no! Sounds like you and your mom have different frames completely. Depending on whether you work out, you might have a little extra fat (and I mean a tiny bit). But a lot of guys prefer girls who aren't stick-skinny, as long as you have decent curves.

Is your mom shorter than you? I'm guessing she is (explaining the size three jeans) and wishes she had your height.

• She's she is very short (barely 5 feet).

• A friend of mine has a similar situation, your mom is either jealous or she doesn't understand (for lack of a better word) that you have a different body type than she does.

• Yeah I think it's because she doesn't understand that I have a different body type, because all the women on her side of family are short and pretty much shapeless, and I'm the opposite.

• My mom tells me the same things all the time, ill have classes all day and ill eat breakfast before I go but I really don't have time in between to get a full meal in and when I come home I'm starving, she always freaks out and tells me its to late to eat... if anything in the world makes you feel crappy, its when your parents don't love you for who you are.

• Omg that's what I do too!

except I don't have enough time to eat breakfast, then when I get home I stuff my face, and my mom sees and thinks I'm overeating :(

Actually most of my friends say I'm skinny but the women in my family say I'm fat, call me amazon, and say that I need to lose weight before I become overweight.

• Haha, well I know I'm not skinny, but I'm not fat either and I sure as hell am not going to starve myself. I love food, and I run 5-8 miles almost everyday. so as far as I'm concerned she can kiss my ass.

• NO you are not fat.

Your mom must be jealous. I can't beleive the things that parents say to their children.

Don't let this bother you.

I know a guy that hasn't spoken to his mom is years because she would always put him down, and now she wonders why.

I hope you have a healthy relationship other then that.

• You sound perfect to me! Maybe her view of what is fat is distorted because she is so thin. She is used to what she sees in the mirror as "normal" and anything heavier than that would seem "fat" to her. You are actually a couple pounds UNDER the estimated ideal weight for your height.

• Size seven is way fat that's even worse if its all in your butt and thighs. do you have cellulite? but its really up to you. do you think your fat? your mom is probably not jealous. It weird you would think that. Your mom is probably looking out for your health.

• No I don't have cellulite. I'm an athlete

• Ur mom is a f*ckin retard for even sayin that first of all and ur deff not fat. That is the perfect weight :) and ya she most likely is jealous or is just a b*tch

• no way are you fat...in fact you sound quite skinny. your mum sounds as though she'd be looking a bit anorexic.

• Your weight is great for your height

• your mom needs a good ass kicking! You sound perfect!

• u are totally not fat

n too the two mean bitches down there, don't listen to them

there jealous too..

• I'm sorry your mom is giving you a hard time. YOU ARE NOT FAT! Size 7 seems very normal to me ... and I think the average in the states is size 12. Not sure what her issue is, but try to ignore her.

• OMG you are NOT fat or chubby! you are tall. I know a lot of mom's like your mom and I don't know if they are trying to live vicariously through their children or if they are jealous or what... but it is insane that moms would instill an idea like that into their child's mind! Shouldn't they be boosting self esteem? Trust me, most men like boobs... not bodies that look like men.. (size 3 jeans and A boobs) no offense to your mom!

• Wow. Size 7? Fatty. Why would your mom or anyone else be jealous of that?

• She's jealous.

• your mom is probably jealous. I would rather be your size than your mom's.

• your mom is definitely jealous. My mom did the same thing to me - and that was when I was recovering from bulemia. so don't listen to her, just block her out whenever she starts bitching about YOUR weight.