Do belt and shoes always have to match?

If the belt is visible (even half tuck) does it have to match your shoes?
If your shirt covers the belt but there's a chance bending/reaching someone might see it peeking out will you look bad if it's not matching your shoes?

Most Helpful Girl

• U dont have to, but i think the outfit looks much more coordindated when u do. Referrig to ur question, if the shirt is tucked in, matching belt and shoes is important because u men dont have much going on in the outfit to begin with so attention will be drawn to that.
    If the belt is covered, i wouldn't worry as much.

Most Helpful Guy

• "Technically" yes. But in practice, sometimes it looks BETTER not to match; my only brown belt is very casual, when I wear a blue suit with brown leather shoes, I match it with a black belt - this looks fine in my opinion, someone would only notice if they were actually looking at this shit

What Girls Said 7

• For a suit (referring to below comment), it generally looks better to be matching because it's a clean cut look. Every day casual wear or even semi-formal doesn't necessarily have to match at all. It's known as color-blocking. As long as all the shades match well together, it works.

• Is there a guide to this kind of matching?

• Not necessarily. You can wear a brown belt with blue jeans and black shoes and it'll still look good. Especially since most men's shoes (from what I've seen) are mainly within the Browns and blacks so anything can match with those really.

• Ok, that's good to know!

• For a suit outfit, it looks sharper but its not necessary. Plus most belts and shoes are in the brown and black range which can be used interchangeably

• I've seen like a washed out green, tan, and white mens belts too, do brown and black match white sneakers? Women have every color belt so let's say you have a pink belt and blue jeans that goes with black shoes?

• I don't worry about matching a belt with shoes.

Actually, I usually don't need to match anything with shoes, since I go barefoot most of the time.

• I don't think so! Shoes and belt can be different!

• I f you want to dress smart then that is the rule

• I do it with shoes and handbag

• So matching shoes and belt looks better, but isn't necessary? A girl told me they have to match so that's where I got the idea.

• It's not a law or anything, but it looks much better.

• No, that is not necessary.

• Really? I was fitted for a suit and was told belt and shoes must match.

What Guys Said 4

• That tends to be the rule for guys. If you can't get the exact color at least something close to it.

• They should closely match yes. That's a pretty common male fashion standard.

• I don't have this problem, 1 belt, one pair of shoes I wear on a daily basis.

• Yes (filler)