What does "cute" actually mean?

I get called "cute" all the time. I'm not being big headed but I am a good looking guy. Before anyone says anything it is definitely not meant in a way as in "awww look at him he's cute." I heard someone last night tell her friend that I was "cute" but later on I heard the same girls describe someone else they knew as "hot." What is the difference between "hot" and "cute?" Is it age? I'm 23 years old.

They didn't say it in a bad way. I wasn't meant to hear them. I didn't know the girls, they were just talking about lads between themselves and then I saw them look at me and overheard them say to each other that I was "cute."

Most Helpful Girl

• It could be that you have the look s of a lion, but act like a lamb. Lambs are cute. I guess "hot" refers to someone like Justin Timberlake- looks like a lion and makes girls want to ponce on him like a lion. Cute could be someone who is handsome, yet not thought of as a "player" or anything like that. Or it could be someone who is baby-faced.

What Girls Said 3

• Cute is good looking, but in a less sexual way then hot. It's more sweet and cuddly whereas hot is their looks provoke more passion. Best I can describe it.

• Hot is more like sexy cute is more adorable

• Based on my experience throughout life...I've learned (in my experience like I said) cute is for guys who are "good-looking" but not in that hot, sexy kind of way.

I mean its like comparing Brad Pitt = Sexy with Ed Norton = cute

See the difference?

• I understand what you're saying and agree generally...but seriously have you seen Ed Norton? The guy is ripped. Haha.

• Sure he's ripped but it's the overall appearance...I mean some example of men who have that sex appeal going: Brad Pitt, Gerard Butler, Clive Owen, Hugh Jackman

Guys that have the cute factor going on: Shia Lebeouf, paul walker, orlando bloom etc.

What Guys Said 2

• In my experience "cute" can literally mean anything. Anything. It could be a good thing... then again it could be a bad thing. Who knows? In use of the word "cute" girls are extremely vague and differ in usage from person to person.

• They didn't say it in a bad way. I wasn't meant to hear them. I didn't know the girls, they were just talking about lads between themselves and then I saw them look at me and overheard them say to each other that I was "cute." I was just curious as to the difference between "cute" and "hot."

• To me cute is easy on the eye. Hot is sexual in my dictionary.