What do you think about men venturing into the world of makeup?

I recently saw this video (shown below) which I thought was not only funny, but also pretty insightful regarding how men view makeup. I know here on GAG, a lot of men voice how much they dislike when women wear makeup. Women wear it for a variety of reasons though. I would say it's mostly used to simply enhance a person's features and increase their confidence.

So my questions are:
Men, would you ever venture into putting on foundation, concealer, or powder? How about using makeup for your brows like the men in the video?

Women, how would you feel about men wearing some makeup to either even out their skin tone, cover a break out, etc? Would you find it "un-manly"?

Vote in the poll and share your thoughts/opinions with me! :)

• I would try wearing some makeup/I wouldn't mind if a guy wore makeup
  • I feel indifferent towards men wearing makeup
  • No, I would never wear makeup/I would not be attracted to a man who wears makeup

Most Helpful Guy

• Ultimately here's how i feel which is a cost vs benefits approach. How much effort vs gains will i get from applying make-up? Lets make up some generalized stats:

For women, X amount of attraction will yield Y amount of value. We can agree that men generally value exterior attraction then women do yes? Lets just say.. make-up for women adds 30% more value to her date-able-ness.

For men: this scale tends to not lean in favor as much. Given average "Joes," the amount of effort put into make-up may add -40% --> +10% (negative as i am sure this repulses some women out there).
    -- so in the end, is it worth the effort? Or is it better to invest in other things like fitted clothes, a little bit of gym time or continuing to expand socially to develop social value?

So: to further picture the break down in terms of exterior effort:

- Fitted attire: +30%
    - groomed: +20%
    - healthy body: +35%
    - Make up: -40%--> 10%
    etc..

So if it were me? I wouldn't invest effort into make-up.

@theccanyon

• Haha your opinion is very interesting. I imagine most men wouldn't want to put in the effort to apply makeup. Thanks for sharing! :)

• @redeyemindtricks ""Fitted attire" is worth zero points without a fit body."

- Even if the guy isn't fit, he can still buy clothes that fit his body best. Now if we're talking about obese extremes, then his % will change as such:

Fitted clothes: 5%
      groom: 10%
      Healthier body: 80%
      Make up: -100%

• Reasonable numbers.

Most Helpful Girl

• Mass perception = expectation = societal standards, with mass perception (MP) = if x, then y

If women wear make up, then women show less flaws. Flawlessness = female standard. Women are more beautiful.
    If men don't wear make up, then men show flaws. Flawed appearance = male standard. Men are less beautiful.

... Therefore men who are beautiful are made even moreso by their rarity. So, men should wear make up to get an edge on their gender.

seagazing.files.wordpress.com/.../...ute-false.jpg

Let us trace the trajectory of readily available make up on women. Women are more beautiful... conversely, women are less ugly. Therefore women who are ugly are made even moreso by their rarity. So, women must wear make up to keep up with their gender [std of beauty].

Men, is this the life you want to lead? Women, do you want your men to rat race right alongside you?

Equal, not identical. Everything is relative.

Source: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1718738-since-most-girls-require-makeup-do-you-think-there-are-actually-more

@that-guy

• @that-guy We did it!!! Mission accomplished.

• As i cast my final sail, I wonder if all that i have done is in vane. Sacrificing a life i could have had for the path i have chosen.

We did it, the end is here.. the taste is bitter however irrelevant. The light dawns on me today... we brave.

What Guys Said 29

• Didn't go through the whole video but I get the gist :) Good question +1 :D

Ok as far as make up goes, I'd say to each his own.

I wear make up when we are at seminars or press conferences / releases or certain parties. Countenance matters and this adds up to it.

Ofcourse the make up guys do isn't about the way girls go about it. It's just enhancing and sharpening the appearance for the cameras and to go with the lights :)

Reasons for make up in this case are different. With men it's not and should not be about an everyday thing.

The make up we guys do isn't about attracting women or gaining confidence or even a feel good factor lol; for me I do what the job & situation demands

• Thank you! You bring a very interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before. Makeup can work differently for both genders. I suppose for the men who are willing to give it a try, they probably wouldn't want to do it every day anyway. Thanks for sharing your opinion! :)

• The pleasure is all and always mine young lady :)

If I were a movie star then make up is a must even when I'm visiting the doctor or am hospitalized :) well luckily I'm not lol

• Hahaha yes, very true :) lol

• I am somewhere in the area of A or B - I am not anti make up, I like the light, natural, subtle, no make up appearance whether it requires make up or not is of no issue to me. I would probably try it as an experiment but I don't think it would become an everyday thing. You could see the male attitude sneaking in at the end of the video, why wake up 20 minutes early everyday to do this? Why on a night out put an hour aside for hair and make up? - It doesn't compute with a lot of men's logic who feel putting on a fresh shirt is enough effort.

• haha yeah, true. I feel like most men wouldn't want to be bothered with it. Lol

• I've never thought about it, and I'm not one to judge either :P they can do as they please, it is their life.

• To me, this is logically another step from liberals and progressives to advertise the feminization of men. If there's market for this shit outside of gay people, then I'm sorry for those guys, but not sorry really it's their loss lol

As a guy, I am lucky I have the ability to look good without make up and to improve physically without any use of make up too. Meaning, I don't really have to learn and do something that a. It's meant to be for women and b. It's a huge pain in the ass I can easily avoid. Men doing this are over complicating themselves without seeing its logic, and worse ridiculing themselves too.

• Ehh... no. Women and men's attractiveness come from different things. Women largely use makeup to simulate signs of fertility. The dusky eyes, the red cheeks, full lips, smooth skin...

Men on the other hand, often are at our best when we have a little age. I mean, consider a classic, Hugh Jackman.

images4.fanpop.com/.../...ne-19555627-2000-866.jpg

• a lot of women can't live without makeup, and when i see what some of them look like without it, I can understand why. Unfortunately for makeup enthusiasts, they are literally killing themselves every time they put it on

Case in point:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9_xbvPiamc

My opinion on this is that men should stay very far away from it. We have a natural essence that a lot of women can only imitate.

• haha yeah, people can look very different when you compare how they look before makeup and then after.

• hahaha omg, true. Which makes me wonder if men are really more attractive than women, generally speaking. Because when you see most women, they're wearing makeup and they do look very different when the makeup comes off. Lol

• my thoughts exactly :)

• *hurls* hello no.
    I would find it unmanly because in a sense you have to be secure of yourself and who you are to be considered a man. Putting on make-up and parading around with it, is strictly a feminine thing. I personally don't want to see this happen because it just looks weird. But its an everyday thing in beautiful SF

• For me definitely C, I totally dislike it probably because instinctively we associate make-up with ladies.
    There are 2 exceptions: on TV it's quite normal for guys to wear make-up and when someone has had an accident or surgery and needs to cover the scar that obviously is fine as well :D
    But the look of make-up on a guy is not my thing :o

• haha yeah, I can understand those situations. I imagine most men probably feel the same as you do about it.

• Yeah the poll confirms it... all the guys are running to the C camp :o

• Lol yes, I figured that poll option would probably be the most popular.

• I have worn makeup, and powder. It is quite common in the clubs that I frequent, and I have had no problem in public with makeup.

• Shit! Men in the west are becoming gayer than what they already are.

• Lol I don't think wearing makeup makes anyone "gay." And this isn't actually the "norm" in the west. I've never seen a man wear makeup and most men I know would be totally against it. I thought this video was interesting though. haha

• I'd never wear makeup for cosmetic reasons unless I was on TV or on film. I'm to classically "guy" to do that. :-P

• Lol yeah, I feel like most men would agree with you. haha

• I think it's f-ing ridiculous. I mean come on, it's bad enough that women cover up their naruraly beauty and have their faces get all discolored and other stuff years later, BUT to shove men in it to?

• I won't do it.

• Yeah, no.
    Im afraid wearing make-up is listed under chapter 5, section 10, header 2, sub-header 6, paragraph 3 of "Acts that Qualify you for an Immediate Revocation of Male-hood".

• The only way my makeup is gonna touch my face is if it's Halloween, but if other men want's makeup to touch their face everyday, I'd have no problem with it as it's not hurting anyone and I'm not the type of person to judge.

• Nope nope nope why, just why? OK I'm not a hater or homophobe. Women and gay men, go ahead wear makeup. But it's just not something regular guys should do.

• I'm following these guys on Instagram and they wear makeup. When I say makeup I mean everything from fake eyelashes to bright red lipstick.
    Is it something I would do? No, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

• I don't think I would lol

• I vote C : Certainly not.

Did David Bowie's recent passing inspire this question?

• Haha no, that video did. I saw it and it made me wonder how many men would actually do that and what most women thought about it.

• Make up is an emo thing, I wouldn't recommend it but the option is open.
    Makeup in my opinion ruins one's face regardless of gender and I see them as fake.

• No no no no no.

• I'm personally not interested in wearing makeup, unless I'm doing it for Halloween costume purposes.

• ... no

• The furthest I go is the occasional red nail polish. I already get weird looks from all genders so makeup is a no. If a guy wants to wear it then fine.

• The "metrosexual" trend (for lack of a better way to put it) is bad enough, this is ridiculous.

• No, I... just no. Like an empire of faggets rampaging around.

• I'm happy enough with how I look.

• if it has a natural look I don't mind but if it makes them look like a women noooo

What Girls Said 17

• My man is basically a vampire. With some black eyeliner, that boy just positively slays.

• Really? He wears eyeliner? Interesting. Lol

• lmao never mind it's been long a while I've been offline hahaha

• @theCatcherintheRye Yeah, no, I totes thought those were down-votes, too, at first. This weird new update.

• I'm mostly attracted to women so I don't know if this really relates to me, but I hate all men that wear makeup. When I look for a man I normally go for the tall, skinny, older guys with long hair. When ever I see a man with short, trimmed hair that is styled in any way, I turn right around.
    Strait men are not meant to be pretty, they look like they are questioning their sexuality, they look insecure and stupid. Any man that shaves his chest and wears one of those open neck tops is also gross in my eyes.
    If a man looks like he has spent more then 5 minuets on his outfit, in my eyes, he is hollow... a sheep to society. I just don't like a primmed man.

Where have all the real men gone? The men that that don't shave... not because they want to look cool, but because they have had a hard week and they just don't care about how they look. Then men that have worn the same shirt for years, with ugly holes, oil stains and faded colours. The men that would rather die fighting then ever put eyeliner on... These men are becoming unicorns, they are a past generation that we will never see again.
    There are just too many men that care about how they look, and to me it makes them look so much uglier then they where before.

And if your wondering, I as a woman don't wear much makeup, I don't shave my legs or pits (though I do shave my pubes for comfort) and I only wear dresses when its someone's birthday.

• It's not a new thing. Guys on camera and in theatre have been wearing it for decades. Some guys probably wear some cover up and some wear facial masks. It's just not as mainstream or heard of. But I don't think it's a big deal. Life's short and people should do what makes them happy.

• It wouldn't bother me if it was for T. V. or something similar but I wouldn't like it in any other case

• I admire every guy who is not afraid to get in touch with the feminine side. It shows how secure they are and how much they understand that masculiity is not defined by such shallow Standards. It makes me want guys like that more. It's even hotter if he knows where the line is from makeup that makes a guy look like a girl, and makeup that enhances his looks and covers his flaws, but still doesn't erase the masculinity.

• Very Worrying.

• I'm all for guys wearing makeup. It's not unmanly at all.
    I mean I don't really like the looks of guys who wear pink eyeshadow or pink lipstick. I won't be judging them if they wear it tho, cuz there's nothing wrong with it.

But black or dark eyeshadow or eyeliner I like, also red lipstick is good to me for guys.

• Hey, if it makes a person feel better about themselves and more confident, I'm all for it.

• Women wear it, why can't guys? I'd date a guy if he wore makeup. Thats upto him. If it makes him feel good who cares?

• I'd love to see some more dudes wearing makeup, not because I think they need it or anything of course but because it would be super chill to find some dudes who share that interest with me.

• I really don't care, guys can do whatever.

• Hell, I am all for it.

• I don't mind men wearing makeup. There are a few men who do makeup tutorials on Instagram and I'm jelly of them because their makeup is flawless

• This has already been happening in other countries or in movies/tv shows. I see nothing of it, it's just makeup.

• Voted C, lol

• Nothing is wrong with a man taking pride in his appearance, in fact I find it attractive. There is nothing hotter than a man sharing my eyeliner. Yes, I have had a lot of negative feedback about this feeling but metro men have always appealed to me.

• If they are happy, good for them.