Male Hairdressers/Stylists?

Whilst visiting my hairdresser this morning, we got into a conversation whereby I discovered that his eldest son is now training to follow in his fathers footsteps.

It wasn't until I arrived home and sat down with a cup of tea, that I began to think more into this.

Ladies, is it my imagination running riot here, for would I be right in thinking that the majority of women's hairdressers/stylists are male.

I believe am also right in saying that most of the worlds most famous hairdressers/stylists are male.

This leads me to sitting here pondering over the question as to why this should be.

Would I be so wrong in saying, that you would think only another woman would know and understand exactly what style, cut, colour etc. would suit another woman, yet for some unknown reason men seem to be much more advanced and creative in this field.

I shall now continue "supping" my tea and hopefully reading your thoughts, views and opinions on this.. Naturally I have left this open for our male members to express their thoughts on this as well.

As also, thank you for your time in reading this.

Most Helpful Girl

• Good question! My stylist is female, but most have been male-and only one or two were gay.

What Guys Said 2

• That's a good question... indeed thinking back of all the hair stylists both me and my relatives have visited... gosh indeed it's a 95% male community :D
    Oh goodness now you probably realize how many guys have messed with your hair :o :o?

• I get my hair done at this Hipster Barber's three doors down from where I work. I often go there for a trim after I finish my shift.

For some reason like 70% of Barbers I've met in London are Turkish.
    They are really professional tho!

What Girls Said 6

• I mean, this is a lot like cooking. Most people typically associate cooking with housewives and such, but, the world's top chefs are almost exclusively male as well.

Why's that? Well, tons of reasons. Some political, some logistical, some idiosyncratic. But, that drive to ascend to the top of the money and fame pyramid tends to be a guy thing.

You're probably wrong about the MAJORITY of stylists. In fact, I'll just put it out there and say that you're definitely wrong, about that.
    I get my hair done right in the middle of West Hollywood, where there's more rainbows than Care-a-lot, and even there it's still only about 50/50 (and almost all the male stylists are gay).
    In any neighborhood that isn't WeHo or the Castro or Chelsea, stylists are gna be majority female. Strong majority, to the point where most (straight) men will probably feel at least a bit of visceral discomfort even venturing into the environment. LOL

• Strangely all the hair salons I've been to have all females working there. I believe I've only seen one male and I knew him from high school so I wasn't too surprised seeing him work there because he's a very stylish person.

• Only hairstylists I've ever went to were women. Only women... o. O
    And even those I've never went to and just seen from the streets were all women - except this one guy... Among a sea of women. xD

• I have only ever seen one male hairstylist in my entire life. My uncle is a barber but that's obviously for men. The salon that I go to and most other ones that I have visited are all women.

• That's very interesting.. I wonder if it might have something to do with where we live in the world.

For example, here in the UK, if you were to take a look at London the majority of salons there are owned and run by men.. Some of which are extremely well known with their own brand products.

• Perhaps; I'm in Canada. I can't even think of a salon where there is a man doing any styling. One owned a salon I went to but he never did any real work.

• That's what I've been trying to figure out half my life >.< Men are amazing at styling women's hair! They have like magical hands or something lol

• As long as they know what they're doing I don't really care who does my hair