When will men start wearing skirts regularly?

Found this bizzfeed article about men in skirts and I think some of these guys look great! Why hasn't this gone more mainstream yet? Is it cause stores simply don't sell them in the men's department?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewguiver/men-that-rock-skirts#.eiLOvMjDk

Most Helpful Guy

• Being a kilt wearing man in America, I can tell you that it will be a while before many guys will be willing to do it. I get catcalled all the time when I wear it, I had a girl try and lift it in the store, and had another guy think it was a joke to run his hand down my leg (yes we fought, yes he got his ass handed to him by a guy in a kilt) and it might be okay in the sense of "well guys are finally getting what the give" but not many guys are going to put up with it over something as daring as a skirt.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 21

• Kilts don't look funny to me on guys.
    Skirts look odd to me for guys.

Call it social conditioning, whatever, but when I see a skirt my first thought is "That's a girl." It kind of confuses my mind when I see a dude in a skirt. I see a picture and I'm like "That's a girl," but then I see the face and rest of the pic and I'm like "Oh wait, that's a dude."

In any case, I would say there is more likely more women wearing pants (as it is super common already) before dudes wear skirts.

All I can say is I won't be found in a skirt unless I'm doing something special like a theatre production/performance and cross dressing 😂

• Skirt?
    Not my thing.

A kilt on the other hand, would be something I could see wearing.

Similiar, but not the same.

• What makes them different? I figured both were the same... is there some more material on the inside or something?

• Look at the pictures in the linked webpage.

See how much structure there is to the waist of the garment. In particular, look at the back side.

The kilt shown is a workman's kilt. It has cargo pockets for tools. Full pockets are no problem for a kilt, but an issue for a skirt. Not wanting to have my garments around my ankles (unintentionally, that is).

http://www.utilikilts.com/the-workmans-kilt.html

• I do not know if that trend would ever happen.. except for the Scottish guys that wear a kilt right now.. and that to me is pretty close to a skirt.. but skirts are more associated to women's wear for at least for now anyways.. but I did lose a bet one night and had to not only wear a pink skirt but also a pair of womens blue panties for a 24 hour period.. and looking back on that day.. I really did not look all that bad in them and I still felt sexy in them.. so if it did become law for guys to wear them.. sign me up.. I would be alright with it
    take care now

• I honestly like Jared Leto's style, looks like something I'd like to wear (No, I'm not homosexual), however most of us lack 'real men' features (such as a badass beard, sharp jaw or hairy legs) and wearing a skirt would make us look either ridiculous or like douchebags. We don't want y'all to peek under our skirts too >:[

Regardless, I don't think the day where men will wear skirts daily will ever come.

• No... just no the only men who can get away with the whole skirt thing are the Scottish and that is only because they are part of their culture.

• "Is it cause stores simply don't sell them in the men's department?" lmao!! I would really question the store if they dropped a rack of skirts ring next to athletic wear
    Heels, make-up, buns, and now skirts? This site really need to let men be men

• Oh ya that would work well traipsing around the bush in the poison ivy wearing a skirt. I see shares in Calamine Lotion going up dramatically!

• Why do women what men to act like women?
    They want us in with longer hair, wearing dresses, getting mani-pedis, and metrosexuality.
    Seriously, if you want a man that looks like a woman, date women.
    Let men be men, dammit.

If we are talking about kilts/tarps, I'm cool with that. That shit is manly.

• When equality-seekers force them to

I'll never wear a skirt ever again cuz the one time I did I was crossdressing for a play and it was awful

• Because that's buzzfeed which is filled with a bunch of salty liberals, lesbians, one sided people who all gather around for mediocre "articles."
    If that's not trying to erase the lines between the sexes then I don't know what is.

• I don't want to look like a tranny.

• Yeah, none of the guys in the article look like trannies and none are trying to be trannies... thanks for your well thought out answer though, I am sure you rubbed both of your brain cells together real hard to come up with that

• Nobody wants to look like a faggot when there straight

• @Jakdbak I agree

• Unless I've been crucified and emasculated, no.

• move to Scotland !

• Why would we? Seems to offer a lot less protection than pants or shorts.

• lookin good , but i personally think pants are still more comfy.

• NO. NO. NO. NO. Never happening. NO

• The sooner you women start dominating and controlling us... the sooner we'll start

• There are cultures where men wear skirt like garments. Seeing men from those cultures doesn't raise eyebrows. A guy hanging out in a kilt and tee shirt may be odd, but i guy in formalwear with a kilt doens't raise eyebrows, nor do various middle eastern or south Asian garments when worn by men of those nationalities.

Beyond that? It flares up occasionally on runways, and certain fashion blogs and forums.

But working downtown in a large, liberal city, i have yet to actually see one in the wild.

The 'rules' for men are so so so much stricter than for women.

• I've seen guys wear them in San Francisco.

• @mutedaisy they have to be somewhere, i've seen in the wild -pictures-.

I suspect some areas of nyc/la perhaps as well they're seen, on a very rare basis.

• Have you seen the way guys generally sit? We usually have our knees spread wide apart so that we don't squish things, lol.

I could never wear a skirt, because of that. I'd be flashing people everytime I sat down. I don't think anyone wants to stare at my balls peeking out from under a skirt. 😱

• When you will make me wear skirts :D

• we won't become perverse for your pleasure

• Perverse? Yeah I'm not even going to ask 😶😶😶

• yes thats what should normally happen. but moder priests and pastors try to be too "liberal" to not appall rebellious people away. if you noticed devoted traditional christian women they are all with long skirts, none with trousers. but everyone became a rebellious feminist today, and the pervese fashion designers try to reverse the genders and promote clothes that are mockery against God and insult to human aesthetics.

• and as i said its not so much the specific pieces of clothing God's commandment as far as clothes of genders are concerned is they should be different from one another and you should be tell each other appart easily just by looking at them.

What Girls Said 7

• i hope this doesn't patronise any males who wanna wear skirts [sorry if i do], but i really hope they don't...

• I doubt it will ever be a think again. Those were older times.

• They do already Scottish men do (kilt).
    And Arab men wear dresses but we call them thobes.
    And Bengali men wear lungis which is a cloth tied around the waste (looks like a skirt).
    So men are kinda already wearing it.

• I don't know, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more of it, going around.

• Man, have I got news for you about a little place called Scotland.

• Hopefully never

• I don't think that looks good :o