Does a too conservative outfit for an interview exist?

My mom told me interview outfit makes me look like a Catholic nun. I don't want to make the wrong impression lime I am hitting on the interviewer

Most Helpful Guy

• I hire people, I am a manager of a retail store, and I own a media company. I do take into account someones appearance, it's a clue to how they would fit in to the company environment. So it would come down to the company that you were applying for.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well without knowing what exactly you're wearing to interview, I'd say perhaps its possible. Typically professional interview gear for women is nice dress shirt, usually white, dark suit jacket and matching skirt to the knee or dress slacks, and heels. Maybe you're mom feels its too conservative for where you are applying. If you're going to a job interview at say a surf hut on the beach or for a retail job, you can just go sans the suit jacket and go for a slightly more casual skirt/slack.

• My usual interview outfit is a black skirt that goes to my knees, black blazer, white collared shirt, and black flats. And I use safety pins to cover up my cleavage. I was interviewing at a makeup and beauty store and she felt it was too conservative

• Yeah, it's more what I thought. Usually places like that are looking for a more creative look because it gets the customers in the door or keeps them there, plus, it's a more relaxed environment overall where people don't tend to wear suits. In your future job hunt, do some recon before hand at where you want to apply. Odds are, what the staff or employees are wearing is going to be close to what you should wear for an interview there. No matter the place however, it is always better to go a bit more buttoned up, then to go way out and be super duper casual because regardless of the place, its still an interview with a potential employer.

What Guys Said 1

• it really depends on the employer and typical outfit a staff member wears there ,

What Girls Said 1

• Depends on your outfit, and what kind of job you want. Over conservative is great for professional jobs, but if you're just going for a waitress then yeah you don't have to be conservative. What exactly were you thinking?

• My usual interview outfit is a black skirt that goes to my knees, black blazer, white collared shirt, and black flats. And I use safety pins to cover up my cleavage. But I might choose a new jacket and maybe wear slacks.

• Again that's fine for a casual interview. If you are going for something really professional, then yeah a pant suit would be best, maybe a black turtleneck underneath?