Why are people on the internet so disrespectful?

I have a youtube account and I get a lot of criticism on my videos or on the way I look. All of the people that insult me seem to have no videos or pictures on their youtube account. Why do people feel the need to say hurtful things to others on the internet? It is like these people feel the net is a safe zone to unleash the beast.

Most Helpful Guy

• The internet IS a safezone. It's anonymous. You don't know me. I could say just about anything I want to right here, right now. That's why people abuse it.

What Guys Said 1

• It's cathartic, people release the anger they have for the world at people anonymously who they will never meet

What Girls Said 6

• anonymity is a dangerous thing, if they don't have to see your reaction and how hurt you are then they can pretend it doesn't effect you :/

don't listen to them, focus on the people in your life who love and encourage you, those are the ones who matter

• Don't even worry about what those people say! Just remember they don't even know you and honestly, they're probably just jealous.

• if someone is saying sh.t about the way you look they are just trying to make themselves feel better..they are probably a bunch of losers who don't have a life.

• Well because it's the internet and you don't know the person. It's anonymous, nothing can really happy to you and you don't have to face the person. We all do it but some of us take it a little too far. Just ignore them, block them. It comes with having a youtube account. I personally think haters are hilarious.

• 9 times out of 10 those are the same losers who would never say it to their face. they probably feel marginalized and left out in the real world so they come on the internet to pretend they have some sort of power by abusing people

• Some people are polite some are not.