Why THE FUCK are they models?

Why THE FUCK are they models?

Just don't understand how they're he opitome of beauty? I see better looking people on a daily basis. Wtf

Most Helpful Guy

• They're not presented for their attractiveness but for how well the clothing hangs on their bodies, I think. But then again, the entire fashion industry is SO messed up and corrupted by money and politics it makes actual politicians look like saints, I wouldn't be surprised if they DO pick people who actually don't look attractive because that's like a designer's fetish or something.

Screw fashion.

• Lol I love this answer

Most Helpful Girl

• Runway models are not "the epitome of beauty". In fact, the entire point of runway models is NOT to be "beautiful" or "sexy", in just about any way.
    They are meant to be background, with the clothes they wear as foreground.

I wrote up a pretty detailed response to a girl who was feeling conflicted about this, here (mho opinion)
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1894392-why-can-t-models-be-short

Check it out.

This whole idea that models=sexy really needs to stop, y'all. Couldn't be further from the truth.

What Guys Said 23

• Tall, skinny, sharp facial features.

Also runway models aren't usually chosen based on sexual desirability, theyre chosen to be walking clothes-hangers.

• True modeling is an art form to portray a character needed for piece. Models have features that allow them to be pieced into a real life artwork, especially clothes. Models weren't initially based on sex appeal. But to fit a picture. If you look at the people in the photos, the mesh perfectly into the image they're supposed to portray.

• for many, it's more about body type than face beauty.
    but also keep in mind, runway modeling tends to be a freak show. no one wears those clothes, at least, not how they're modeled. The makeup artists and hair stylists are awful, and the models are pretty much instructed to make no eye contact with the crowd, and have no facial expression at all.
    I bet with the right clothes, better makeup, human looking hair, and a natural smile on their faces, they'd all look much better.

• They represent a lofty ideal. They haven't been tarnished by carnal, earthly desires.

They're really the epitome of aloofness. It's easy to sit and judge from on high, when you're utterly divorced from physical reality. Eyes glazed over, uber pale skin, unhealthily skinny, stuck in head all day, unable to lift a 5kg dumbbell. Yep.

• I think the third guy looks fairly average, but the ladies I don't find them attractive at all.

So why are they models? Probably because they knew someone in the agency and got hired.

• The first dude looks like what Macaulay Culkin should have grown up to be. And to be a model as a man, all you have to do is be average but have a strong square jaw.

To answer your question, I don't know, I would say most models are average looking or "unique", when people call models "unique" or "distinct", they really want to say not as attractive. For example look at Nina Agdal, she has a martian face:

http://i.imgur.com/HCye4eX.png

• You do realize that runway models are picked by gay men, right?

They're about as qualified to judge a standard of beauty as a vegetarian is at judging the quality of a steak.

• because somebody chose them to wear clothes they made. maybe they are not their for their faces. they served a purpose. but they would all look better with smile, even though they probably aren't allowed to smile

• It's not about the canvas it's about the painting. I know, I don't really understand it either but the point is that people won't focus on the person but instead the clothing. After all it's a fashion runway.

• For some reason skin and bones are what is consider a model. I agree with you totally, much better looking people out there in everyday life.

• you're forgetting. there's a difference between catwalk models, who are selling to the weirdo designers, and the models who appear on magazine covers.

• These are bottega veneta models. They appear in high end magazines like vogue too

• maybe it's a sales tactic to appeal to plainer people. or maybe Vogue is also to a weird crowd.

• Modelling is not meant to be the epitome of beauty

It's meant to catch your attention. Having a striking look is more important

• they are not models, they're runway models. big difference. they look like mannequins... they're almost the same color too!

• *they are not models* *they are runway models*
      Like do you think before you type?

And that's false. They are bottega veneta models and appear in high end magazines like vogue and glamour as well

• that was a total joke lol

• It wasn't funny. Jokes are meant to be funny bub.

• No idea. I don't know or care about modeling.

• Because the world is a fucked up place, but not as fuck up as the fashion industry.

• You're fucking hot

• Jessebowman@live. com

• I emailed you

• Because that's the lifestyle they've chosen. They want to be seen as popular in the media.

• The male guys I can say look better than average but it disgusts me what the standard for women is. I don't find them attractive at all, but that kind of modelling is more about 'art' anyway.

• Because someone has the silly idea stick skinny people are hot.

• Unattractive is attractive these days.

• well, i don't feel very skinny anymore!

• Models are for different purposes. If they are runway models they are props, it's not about them, they are there to compliment the clothes not to be the main attraction. Glamour models are different, they are there to be attractive and distinctive, like the cover of a box of cereal. Actors are similar except it's not just about their appearance but also their manner, voice & etc.

• The same applies for girls.

But then some are actually very good looking; while most of them are girls I wouldn't even look at twice if I saw then walking down my road.

• I was talking about guys and girls. Look at the pics..

• Probably because they know somebody.

What Girls Said 26

• Being a model doesn't necessarily mean beauty. To be a model you need to have an usual look and great facial features.

• Because they're tall and skinny. A runway model is a walking clothes hanger. Runway models don't need to be beautiful they just need to fit in the sample sizes. The focus is on the clothes not on them that's why they're often weird looking.
    Lingerie, swimsuit and glamour models do need to be beautiful and are curvier than the stick-thin runway models.

• They're very symmetrical (their facial features for the most part), and symmetry is an attractive feature (according to science). Also, they're relatively plain, so this means they're a blank slate for the designer to work with; they can put just about any color or style of clothing on them and any style of makeup. So they're models because they are versatile. Also another benefit of being plain-- if the model isn't much to look at, it draws the viewer's eye to their clothing, which is what the focal point of fashion is anyways, not the models.

Although-- that guy should lose the headband

• It's a well known fact that most models and celebs are average or below in looks usually and that's why they have the highest rates of cosmetic surgery and beauty procedures.

• One of the desired traits of a runway model is androgynous features and that's what these people have. They also have the lanky frames needed to model clothing in this way. Some are beautiful but then some aren't. But that's not the main requirement for runway.

• High fashion usually got for people with a "unique look" not just stereotypical beauty.

• go for*

• There's nothing unique about ugly. Ffs you can be a model over them

• Most models are not that beautiful in the face but they get hired for exuding confidence and for being super thin so designers could make tiny sample sizes and cut costs and also knowing someone I am sure is a benefit.
    What I could never understand is why models are the epitome of beauty in the U. S, is it cause of the thinness

• high fashion models aren't considered the epitome of beauty. tbh i think we consider celebrities the epitome of beauty moreso. high fashion models have the preliminary requirement of looking like mannequins that stand tall to be noticed. thats the point. u are modeling clothes and looks. they have to be skinny with sharp or unique facial features especially bone structure. dont gotta be drop dead gorg.

• except for the second to last one, their all attractive. and even the second to last one would be with more weight.

• 3rd guy looks good.. others.. nah..

• tbh i don't get it too... i guess its because of their sharp jaw line and svelte figure

• Someone doesn't understand modeling.

• They're all distinctive looking and have a very prominent bone structure, they do look unique tbf.

• Because being a model is not just about being "pretty" and even if you agree or not those people are ascetically very fortunate.

• The red head looks the hottest among the others

• models aren't facially beautiful lol, they're just extremely tall and skinny people. agencies prefer hiring people with weird looking faces so they stand out on the catwalk

• Modeling isn't always about showing off conventionally hot people, especially in fashion. In fashion it's about how the clothes hang on the body and how they look in the clothes to make an effective photograph. You will never see a Beauty pageant queen walking down a designers runway unless it's like a special arrangement.

• Don't ya know? Playing dress up with skeletons is all the rage these days... I kinda feel bad for saying that... screw it, whatevs😜

• I guess I'm the minority here, but I think they look good...

• Well that's just how it works in the modeling industry I guess.

• they look so tired and no healthy at all

• They aren't meant to be the the most beautiful, they're striking and draw the eye

• The The first guy looks attractive
    The fact that you are cussing about spmething you are most likely not attractive enough to do
    Modeling is not about how pretty a person is. If that was true then every pretty person who auditioned to be a model would be modeling
    These are high fashion models that model clothes not their face and they all look better than you
    Why are you bothered by these particular models in particular? You are just jealous
    Get a life

• Hm I don't think they look better than me. But alright

• I'm pretty sure you are a troll and I think they all look better than you

• One does not have to be the EPITOME of beauty to be a model. And beauty is completely subjective, so whatever you consider beauty may not be to someone else.

• They have the preferred facial bone structure and the body analogies required. Models are not necessarily hot. They simply need to look good in certain clothes and they have to look in a certain way under certain lightning.

• those are pretty, there's way worse... just google it