Anyone have tips for a smokey eye look?

So I recently bought a set of makeup brushes and a couple of new palettes. I have been trying out different looks. The one problem I have beem having is that when I start adding different colours and blending, it all blends into one colour instead of standing out. Should I be using different brushes to apply different colours? Maybe I need to do a better job cleaning the brushes. If anyone is good with makeup and could give me some tips, that would be great. Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah. Don't.

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean, you CAN have a whole shitload of brushes, if that's yr style.

I like to just use 1 or 2 brushes, and keep a white hand towel (like the kind hotel rooms have) on hand.
    Then after yr done with 1 color, just swab the heck out of the brush, back and forth on the towel, until it doesn't mark the towel anymore. At that point, you should be totally good for another color.

(You should still wet-clean yr brushes when yr done -- at least a couple times a week, if not every time -- for sanitary reasons.)

If that still doesn't work -- like, if everything is still blending into a single color -- then you can try 3 things:
    1) Smaller brush
    2) Bigger areas of individuals colors (if the style allows)
    3) Better eye primer -- so the original areas "stick" better

Do you use an eye primer? If not, that might be the issue, right there.

• Yes I do use an eye primer. Perhaps a better one or use some concealer as well for a better base?

• Yeah, you could try that.

Might just want to start with a smaller brush first, tho. More precision in general that way.

I mean, I guess this is the question that should have been asked first -- is this happening RIGHT AWAY? Or are you getting the separation, AND THEN the colors are blending together?

If it's happening right away, then the problem is probably just that yr brush is too big. Get a smaller brush. (:
      Then, be sure to follow the cleaning protocol I described, with the white towel.

If the separation happens at first BUT THEN the colors are blurring, then, yeah, you need a better primer and/or concealer.

What Guys Said 1

• Damn my cousin was the best at that shit. If you live in the UK , I could hook you two up. She would demand payment though :3

What Girls Said 5

• You could use the same brush to pack on the different colors as long as you clean off the excess color remaining on it, but you need an entirely different brush, this one clean and fluffier, solely for blending.

• A fluffy brush is the most important brush when doing a smokey eye because it helps blend the eye shadow really well giving that smokey effect. That kind of makeup look is all about a dark defined crease, so a precise brush to use on the crease is pretty useful. A flat brush is also needed for the center of the eyelid and the brow bone. Unlike the crease, you should use a light color with a little shimmer on the center and brow bone, in order to make the eye makeup stand out. The eye shadow colors I recommend are black, pale pink, and beige for the upper area, aka: brow bone. In smokey eye look we use a dark eye shadow and a light eye shadow to give a good contrast. If you want to intensify the look you always use a gel liner to give that smokey cat eye effect.

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...289262fcc2.jpg

• It definitely helps to use the proper brushes, but it isn't impossible to achieve the look without them. One of the things I learned when I was new with makeup, was that I was blending more than I actually needed to. Start by softly layering the colors. Smoky eye doesn't mean the whole eye has to be covered in dark colors; also make sure to keep the inner corners of the eye bright (using lighter shades of eye shadow), as it opens the eyes up and makes them appear bigger. Pat on the darkest colors at the very outer corner of your eye, and carefully begin to blend it in about a quarter of the way into the crease and onto the eyelid. Additionally, you can play around with eyeliner, and use a smudge brush to smoke it out. There are no set rules for makeup. Just keep experimenting and it will get easier as you go along. Have fun :)

• Go to sleep with eyeliner on. Wake up with smokey eye. 😂😂😂

• that is so 2008