How do shoe sizes work?

I promise I'm not as dumb as the title question makes me sound. I bought shoes last week, for me.

They're a size 4.5 in kids. Normally I wear a size 8 - 8.5 in women's.

I placed them next to each other, and they look identical in size.

I have been SO CONFUSED about this ALL WEEK. So, any insight, I'd appreciate it. 'Cause I'm boggled.

Most Helpful Guy

• Let me help you with a shoe size converter :D
    www.size-chart-shoe-clothing-international-sizing-conversion.com/.../1819372_orig.jpg
    Is it US or UK 8 to 8.5?
    In both cases however, you have big feet! It would correspond to European 42 or 43 and here in Belgium the average for girls is around 38. Over 40 is rare.
    Sometimes, jokingly, we say "look at her car ferries!" 8) 8)

• You didn't answer my question at all.

• Not directly, I agree... but it may be related to size conversion. If one is UK or US size and the other Mexican, that may be the explanation.
      Otherwise, indeed, it's weird :o

• Thanks for the MH :D

Most Helpful Girl

• Shoe sizes make absolutely no sense! You can be a size 8 at one store, and a size 11 at another. There is no standard to the sizes, it's like clothing. Basically try everything on!

Now, kids shoes are the same. There are different size categories for kids. You have babies shoes, kids shoes, and then juniors shoes. What you tried on was probably a juniors shoe sizes.

Juniors sizes are designed for kids who may be between kids shoes, and adult size shoes. It's kind of a new category that stores carry now. I remember when I was little and I was a size 6 womans shoe when I was 8 (I grew fast!). And they didn't have juniors shoes then, at least not where I was. So I had to wear adult shoes, and it sucked bc all I wanted was light up shoes!

So there is some overlap with the juniors shoes and the adult shoes. I've been able to get into some kids shoes before. I'm not sure the exact sizing, as it really differs depending on the store. But I know some people who are size 8 and 9 and ladies can sometimes fit juniors sizes.

What Guys Said 8

• Have I got a website for you!

International Shoe Size Conversion Charts

Adult, Girl's and Boy's Shoe Sizes

Conversion tables for American, Australian, British, Canadian, European, Japanese, Korean, Mexican, Russian, Ukrainian, New Zealand, Inches, Centimeters, Mondopoint shoe sizes

http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html

• Well there are variations between brands like if you are a 9 in one for example you won't always be that same size in another you could be a 8 or a 10 or a 9 1/2. Though what your saying seems a bit odd that they are in a child's size but yet are the same size as an adults, never come across that before.

• There is some variation between brands. Sometimes I buy a 9, 10, or 11 but I'm pretty sure my feet are the same size. It's kind of odd that two pairs of shoes can have the same number but be different sizes. I guess it's not standardized that well. Also, it would be hard to standardize as people's feet are of different shapes and sizes. Just try on the shoes beforehand.

• But they aren't the same number and they're in two totally different categories (kids vs woman's) hence my confusion.

• Perhaps kids are bigger today? I don't know

• I'm sorry, but it is extremely cute to me that you bought your shoes from the Kid's section. Why do grown women have such cute little habits like that?

• A womens 8 is probably like a 10 in mens. Men want to feel big and women want to feel small and children want to waste your money lol

• Some of the shoes found in stores are manufactured in different countries. Take Adidas for example, there's about 6 factories around the world producing the same shoe size but with different size numbers

• Actually I never understood how those numbers work...

For example a US Male size 7.5... it's US Female size 9... and in inches is 10" or 25 cm in metric system... it's not equal neither in imperial nor in metric system...

In EU size's 40 for both genders... how on earth 40 is comin' from?

I dunno how they calculate 'em... only Japan and Korean shoe size makes sense which's almost equal wid metric system... but I don't get others how are calculated...

• Larger Kids Sizes Are Equivalent To Smaller Adult Sizes.
    Large Kids Shirt Is Equivalent To Adult Small, For More Growing Room Adult Medium Could Work.

What Girls Said 3

• they take the length and width and multiply it by 5 and then subtract 10 and then travel to the underworld to have hades curse the shoes with bone from the father, unknowingly given, flesh of the servant, willingly sacrificed and blood of thy enemy, forcibly taken.

• Usually different countries have different sizes. Like there's a UK size, EURO size, US size, AUS size, Asian size. So each will differ depending on the country. US 8 in women's is a EURO 10 in women's etc

• Kids sizing is supposed to be 1.5 sizes smaller than women's sizing. So for example I wear a size 6.5 women's and a size 5 kids.

If you're an 8 in women's, you technically should be a size 6.5 kids. But different shoe companies have different sizes so sometimes it varies which is probably why your size 8 women's and size 4.5 kids shoes are the same.

Hope this helps!