Should I wear concealer or foundation to cover my acne?

Im confident without it, but whenever I meet someone from online, I always feel so self-conscious because I'm scared that I'll scare them away like that... I feel so much more confident when I wear concealer to cover my acne scars, but its bad for my skin.. I want to wear foundation when I go to university, but at the same time, I'm scared that my skin will get worst... I don't know what I should do

• Yah
  • No.

Most Helpful Guy

• It only conceals it at a distance not up close (thus defeating the purpose) plus I imagine shoving whateve chemicals make up make-up into your pores is probably not the best way of dealing with achne, plus if your under twenty its actually kind of expected so its not weird to have it (don't know exactly how to phrase it) if your acne bothers you I have heard a vinigar wash helps (though it was specificly suggested for the body it made no mention of the face though I imagine it would also still work fine) as the acidic nature kills bacteria without removing the oils on the skin (oil is necessary to prevent the skin from cracking open creating microabrasions where bacteria can get into creating skin infections ie more acne. I would say don't scrub your face with hot water ( both the heat and the scrubbing remove the oil and agitate the skin causing aforementioned issue) and don't wash your face multiple times a day, once in the morning once at night should be good enough that way you remove some of the oil but not all of it, and when drying your face pat it instead of wiping since again that agitates the skin. That said as I mentioned if your in your teens its actually normal so its not really something to be self concious about (easier said then done I know) so no worries and no concealer.

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel you girl. I have been suffering from acne for a while now, and it sucks. You always feel like someone is starring at your face and then you don't even want to leave the house. You know it becomes a big problem when you won't even see your friends because acne. You stop enjoying life it just takes over you. Always feeling single af because what boy wants a acne girlfriend. And then you see these girls with flawless skin and your self esteem just drops... and everyday you're telling self it's going to look better the next day but then it just looks worst. One of the things that really gets me mad is when I'm saying something about acne and someone is like you could try washing you face. It's like hmm I haven't heard of that before... NOT!! I'm doing the best I can and so are other who suffer! And to answer your question only wear makeup of you really want to. But I don't wear it, it just breaks me more out. Just hang in there girl! I'm sure your going to be fine! and props to you for not wearing makeup! Good luck!! One last thing don't give up on yourself no matter what!

• Yah I'm trying to improve in my skin so I'm eating healthy food now, so that means eating organic food and limit the amount of sugar i'm taking in. I'm also washing my face in a systematic way that I think will be beneficial to my face. Even though I'm doing all of this, I know that my skin take a while to heal and that doesn't change the fact that it'll get worst once school starts because of all the stress UGH. But yah let's both hang in there... What I do appreciate about having acne is that you are able to filter out the horrible people in your life. Actually no, they are the ones that decide to leave but you know what I mean.

• Yes :)! It hasn't really broken me out like other products

• YESS OKAY IMMA GIVE IT A TRY <3

What Guys Said 8

• my only thought with this is does concealer or foundation actually exacerbate the matter by clogging the pores?

• Buy some of this and apply it undiluted to your face with cotton wool every night. It might sting the first couple of times, but it works well.

upload.wikimedia.org/.../320px-TCPLiquid200.jpg

• Go vegan, wear a quality light concealer until your health recalibrates and gives you an amazing glow.
    If you have many scars you can easily have them polish away at that later date.
    You will hear a world of BS when it come to Acne, and you're best to ignore it all, only optimal health matters in that regard and many others.

• Yeah wear it.

• no, it'll make you're acne worse.

• How about eating differently (more healthy) so that you don't break out and have clear skin.

• Doesn't necessarily work that way. Some people can eat healthy as can be and still have shit skin, some people can eat terribly and have beautiful skin. People just work different.

• You should.

• Your skin will get worse and everyone still notices. Neither actually hides anything when your talking face to face with someone.

What Girls Said 19

• Makeup won't make your skin worse unless you
    - Wear it for prolonged periods of time (over 12 hours I'd say)
    - Don't wash it off properly
    - You sleep with it on
    - Use cheap makeup (you don't have to buy super expensive makeup or anything but let's just say that the cheaper the makeup is, the more likely it is that it contains stuff that's bad for your skin)
    - You use makeup that isn't meant for your specific skin type
    - You don't wash/clean your tools that you apply makeup with (if you don't have any tools and just use your fingers, then you should always wash your hands thoroughly before you start)

Makeup is only bad for your skin if you don't even take care of your skin to begin with. Meaning, if you already have a good skin care + skin washing routine, you practice some basic good hygiene (such as not going to sleep with your makeup on and making sure your tools/hands are clean) and you make sure to buy products that are good for your skin and your skin type... then it won't hurt you. I've been wearing makeup regularly since I was 12, and my skin is still soft and smooth. If I happen to get a pimple or some bumps, it's only been because of the lovely hormonal changes.

• Also, whether you "should" or "shouldn't" is entirely up to you. If you want to do it, then do it. If you don't feel like you need it/you don't want to do it, then don't. But if you choose to not do it, don't say it's because you think makeup is bad for your skin, lol.

• If you want to wear make up then wear make up. you're young, you have acne. that is a 100% normal thing so don't be scared to let someone see it.

If you want to get rid of your acne try a tooth paste face mask before you go to bed. I know it sounds weird but it works. 1tbsp of mint toothpaste and 1tsp of table salt, mix it together and spread on your face, let sit for 5 minute then wash off with warm water. after is washed off dab your face with a cold wet cloth to close your pores. then after about 5 to 10 minutes but cream on your face to moisturize.

I will warn you it will burn the first few times you do it but it works really well and if you have big annoying acne put a dab of toothpaste on the spot and leave it over night and it will reduce the size and dry it out. try not to pop your acne so you don't get those annoying scars. Good Luck!

• I really don't recommend the toothpaste + salt combo for dry skin types. That shit will burn a hole into your skin if it's already dry lol.

• I have acne scars.. my skin has cleared up a lot because the dermatologist recommended me some products, and I started to become more determined to get clearer skin. However, I still have acne scars from my cystic acne... I don't know what to do

• Honey. Believe or not honey can be dabbed directly onto the scarred area, using a q-tip. It helps to soothe the skin and reduce inflammation and it doesn't dry the skin out

• look, i think u need a skincare routine that u do every night before bed. in the morning, IF ur going somewhere or meeting someone, id recommend JUST foundation over ur acne, and POWDER, not liquid, because you will just make the acne worse.

i strongly recommend that on any day u aren't out anywhere, u give your skin some love, and results will show in time =] patience baby girl :) xx

• Awww I feel you girl. I suffered from this problem for 7 years. Could you imagine that? It made me an introvert person because I was so embarrassed and afraid people got freaked out looking at my face. When I wore makeup it made me look worst because it just cakey and uneven. I tried so many different skincare and went to see the dermatologists as well. Nothing worked. I thought natural home-remedy could help but unfortunately it doesn't.

Finally I went to see this well-known skin specialist in my hometown and he gave me some special creams. Since then I have seen obvious improvement on my skin and started to take some vitamin supplements to work on my inner system.

You can hide your acne with the foundation or concealer but I think you really need to find a way to slowly cure them because you can't be depending on the foundation all over your life. At some points you gotta take it away and I'm afraid you gonna make it as your best friend that you can't leave without them.

• There is foundation that corrects skin tone and fights acne while on your face. If you have the extra money, invest in it.

Also, lemon juice and raw potato is supposed to help even out the skin.

Look up natural remedies while also looking into a good skin routine and good foundation that has skin care qualities in it.

It might be more money, but if you can spend it, it will really help.

• There is foundation and concealer out there that can help fight acne (Neutrogena and ELF both do and it's affordably). If you're worried that it will still clog your pores and irritate it, try something like a tinted moisturizer which can provide some coverage without being too heavy. Also do you know what your skin type is? Using foundation formulated for, say, dry skin when you have oily can irritate and cause breakouts. The same goes for skin care. I've seen people's skin transform once they started using the right formulation for their skin.

• I don't know how bad ur acne is but U could always start using acne products to help it go away, plus there r certain makeup products that r better for u and ur skin and won't make u break out (I use one) but u should b able to wear makeup and not b scared about ur skin so definitely try a acne product. Plus u don't have to wear makeup all the time, a lot of people only wear it on occasions that seem fit for it. It might b better to not wear it everytime u leave the house so people get to know the real u and not wonder what's behind the makeup

• You can, if you want to. It doesn't matter.

If you find a good foundation and a good cleanser, it shouldn't make your skin worse. If you have a reaction to a particular product, stop using that product and find something better.

• I do lol but its still see the bumps lol!

• Most foundation makes acne even worse. Be careful with that. I have had severe acne since I was 12, but had the courage to never wear foundation. Right now, since a year, I have no acne anymore. With me, the solution was getting my hormones back in balance.

• I use concealer, but I make sure to wash my face thoroughly at night and use acne creams. I also give my skin breaks one or two days a week where I don't use makeup. So I think you can use it, just be careful not to overuse:)

• go vegan and lose a few pounds. not to be thinner just to clear out toxins.

• Yeah if you want to, most people won't care, we all got our skin problems. Acne scars are not uncommon but you can cover it up if it makes you feel more confident 😊

• Get a product such as a dermafix or something. Like BB cream. That's what I used, results within a week! :) treats and covers in one step 👌

• Only if it is medicated.

• No. The concealer can cause skin irritation which in turn inflames your face leading to more acne. Go the safe route just deal with your look. Also its concealer not face swap people are still going to be able to tell you have acne

• i cover up my acne with make up too,

• Have you tried using salt water on your skin?

• I applaud your confidence because I've never been able to be confident about my skin. No-one who's at all a decent person is going to judge you, most people have struggled with acne at some point and know it's not something you can help. So you shouldn't feel pressure to wear make-up if you don't want to or feel like you need it to be attractive. Some make-up can be bad for your skin so you should consider what type of make-up to use: get mineral make-up because it's much better for your skin. It's possible to get concealer with witch hazel in it too which I've found pretty good.

• I'm only confident with my skin because, I tell myself that it's normal to have bad skin. When I look at the mirror, I tell myself that I'm beautiful even with my flaws. If you keep pointing out the things that you hate about yourself, you're going to eventually hate yourself for who you are. Instead, try to focus on the things that make you beautiful and before you know it, you'll think you're beautiful. Confidence is attractive; don't forget that.

And thank you, I'll consider it. :)

• Thank-you <3 . You are a beautiful person :)

• ahaha Thank you :) YOU TOO <3