My dog was just sprayed by a skunk!

I keep reading that you have to act quickly or the dog can smell for several weeks. Its about 3 am right now, and its currently below freezing. I really don't want to give him a bath just to leave him in the cold, but I don't want him to smell like that either. Anyone have the slightest idea on how to deal with this?

Most Helpful Guy

• Move to Australia we don't have skunks won't help with your problem but it can prevent it from happening again.

The google god sugests the following might help

Things You'll Need:

* Rubber Gloves

* Dog Shampoo

* Eye Drops Or Olive Oil

* Tomato Juice

Step 1

Keep your dog outside if possible. It could take weeks to remove this noxious odor from your house.

Step 2

Check her eyes. Skunk spray can irritate them. If they are red and irritated, add eye drops designed for humans to relieve the irritation.

Step 3

Don rubber gloves and wash the dog thoroughly with dog shampoo. Rinse and dry her.

Step 4

Douse her with tomato juice, which diminishes the stench. Use enough to soak the fur thoroughly. It might take several cans. Allow the tomato juice to soak in for 10 to 20 minutes.

Step 5

Rinse out the tomato juice. Reapply it if the odor lingers.

Step 6

If the tomato juice doesn't work or if you'd rather drink it than wash your dog in it, try a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and regular dish soap. Use about 1 qt of 3% peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a drizzle of dish soap. Mix it well and add a cup of water if needed and then lather up your dog right away.

What Girls Said 1

• My dog gets sprayed by skunks all the time, and yes the smell will syau in your house for about a month. you should buy a lot of fabreeze. if you go to petsmart they have shampoo specifically for this and the smell will go away, we found that just regular shampoo and stuff didn't cut it... good luck!

What Guys Said 0