Is dressing like a guy bad for a girl?

So I'm a straight female but I enjoy wearing men's clothing. Not like a boyfriend's clothing either. Like I literally go out to the store, shop in the men's section and it drives my mom insane.

She says the way I dress makes her uncomfortable and that I need to leave the men's clothing for men. Because I may see a guy wearing the same shirt as me one day and that would be 'embaressing' for 'me'.

I like button ups, suit jackets, ties, shirts, jeans, even shoes, but she gets so mad whenever I even look at it. She sent me a pair of shoes I was looking at once to my dad and said something like, "Look at the shoes your daughter is trying to buy!!!"

she said I'm a pretty young lady but everytime she looks at me, she sees a guy and she doesn't like it or want to be around me. She doesn't get what I'm apperently going for as she said, but I just like men's clothes better than women's.

Is it bad to wear men's clothing? And what should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah, your mother is just exaggerating it because she's trying to put you into the confines of your social gender.

She probably does that because she fears that guys won't find you attractive if you don't align with the traditional notions of femininity.

By the way, many of them will.

Most Helpful Girl

• LOL! This is ME COMPLETELY!

I literally shop in the men's sections. I like their styles more. The colors are what I typically wear, dark and neutral. Black, grey, navy, etc. I am not a fan of women's clothing as most of it screams "look at me! Look at this pink! This neon! This bright yellow!"

I am also straight, mostly. And people assume I'm a butch lesbian lol

But I will say it's a bit harder to attract men this way. I like a challenge though, and you'd be surprised how many guys still ask me out even though I look like a "diesel dyke". I still get some weirdos catcall me too, and I find it hilarious and strange (Only when dressed like a dude).

I've always been this way tbh. Even when I was younger. And I went to prom in a suit lol
    I like androgynous clothing.

• Also, women's clothing is not comfortable at all. Even the clothing that is meant to be comfortable, like yoga pants, are not that comfortable. Sure, they're more comfortable than skinny jeans, but compared to men's clothing, they're not that much.

What Guys Said 11

• I don't want to date someone that looks and dresses like me, sorry.

• It's not "bad". But you're going to turn off a good number of men or confuse people who will be thinking lesbian. But, if that's a big deal to you then this will also weed out guys who are not ok with that. So you'll find a guy who's very accepting of it.

That might be awhile lol, but it's possible

• There is nothing wrong with an androgynous look. People are way too concerned with gender-roles. You may not be accepted by your parents sadly. Parents have all these ideals about their children and as soon as they don't fit them they give them hell. You could try and have a serious conversation with them but I can't guarantee anything.

• I'm sorry your mother is not more accepting. You should dress in whatever makes you happy. I'm guessing that your mother is concerned that you are not interested in a husband and family. Many parents feel that their children have a duty to produce grandchildren, otherwise their effort in raising their children was wasted.

• Not going to attract many dates doing that tbh with u

• Men's clothing is made for men, and is not very flattering on women.
    I doubt you care but men will assume you're a lesbian and will avoid you too.

• Women's clothings don't seem like they are the comfy. I dress for comfort so I can see where you are coming.

• Hey if guys can cross dress so can you.

• Wear what ever you feel comfortable in.

• No dear. It's not bad. It's all about culture. We got culture where men and women wears same.

• Its better than a guy dressed as a girl

What Girls Said 9

• Just dress how you feel comfortable. Maybe you can think of some "feminine" touches to add to your outfits to pacify your mother. images2.chictopia.com/.../...y-of-chic-bag_400.jpg

• I used to shop from men's section as a teen, mostly T-shirts and because the sizes run bigger and they were more roomy, not tight. Though, I wasn't feeling that confident about my body back then. I realized that men's clothes are made to fit into male bodies, and women's clothes fit better on women. I don't think it's wrong to shop from the men's section, but it creates a problem with your family. I think you can find what you need in women 's section. Perhaps you don't look into the correct stores.

• Can we see a pic? It might be easier to form an opinion. I personally don't think it's wrong to wear boys clothes. I'm straight too, and I wear my brothers clothes all the time. :) But it would be more helpful if we could see a pic of you in some of your boy clothes. :) And, do you wear makeup?

• It's fine, you're just a tomboy.

• In my opinion it is absolutely not wrong for you to be wearing men's clothing. The entire label of men's or women's clothing is entirely idiotic and promotes the chastising, harassing, and stereotyping of the opposite sex. (Yes I am straight as well so don't call me a lesbian feminazi). If you choose to wear clothing that men might do as well, good for the two of you then.

• No just means ur a tomboy lol

• Its fine!! I used to dress like dat when i w

• one time while i was shopping i saw in the guys section awesome calvin klein tee so i bought it

• I think its fine as long as you aren't turning gay lol.

Just be prepared that some gay girls might start flirting with you or guys will stop