Are tans that important?

I've seen a few guys on here say that they like girls with tans and not "paper-white" girls. I get that everyone has their preferences, but that's kind of harsh.

Okay, I'm biased because I'm naturally fair, but I can't help my heritage. My skin is sensitive. I use tons of sunblock and don't go tanning because I burn easily. I could get a fake tan, but it wouldn't look good on me.

I've been told that my complexion is beautiful by girls who go tanning, so why don't guys feel that way?

Most Helpful Girl

• So be pale. No burns, no wrinkles, no cancer.

Well, okay, you'll get wrinkles, but you won't be as wrinkly as people who are in the sun all the time.

And I'm pale too. I can tan, but very slowly. Usually I come away with mild burns though, instead of mild tanning. But I finally decided it's not bad to be pale. It just means your skin is less maintenance, because you don't have to do anything to maintain your colour.

And I like my freckles.

What Guys Said 8

• I prefer those women who don't tan actually. People who tan too much get more wrinkles and skin conditions than those who do not. I don't tan for the same reason you do not, I get burned or nothing. The warmth of a sunny day I enjoy, but not feeling (and looking) like a cooked lobster afterwards. The bonus of not being tanned is I'll look younger for longer in my lifetime.

As someone mentioned, it's still good to get the vitamin D from being in sunlight, but not so much you're doing your skin harm.

Just keep avoiding the Sun and don't worry about those people who think tanning is the only way. Everyone has an opinion, just remember that you don't have to mold yours to match anyone else's.

• I like my girls natural. Someone who has to "tan" only indicates that they are superficial and concerned with what others think of them.

If you're naturally tan, dark skinned, or just spend a lot of time in the sun doing what you enjoy doing, then great. But I've never met a person who pretended to be fair skinned. Pretenders are unattractive, to me.

• Guys are sight driven. everything that we see, we instantly judge.

but to be more direct, girls with healthy skin are beautiful to me. girls with color to their skin are slightly more attractive. but it is all preference. some guys won't even notice that you are not tan unless you are side-by-side with another girl who is tanner than you.

• This is random, but I like your icon.

...not that there's anything wrong with girls with tans, but tanning is really bad for your skin, so a girl with fair skin is more likely to have healthier skin than a girl who goes tanning.

• Going out in the sun is good for your skin and helps produce vitamin D. As always, don't overdo it.

• if you can't tan then why do you care? if a guy really wants a girl with a tan then you two just aren't made for each other. personally I just wouldn't mention it if I was you. most of us guys are pretty unobservant, but if you whine about being pale that will honestly turn anybody off. like, there are people who like the tan more--doesn't mean you can't just be great at everything else, be a good person and be happy together. and there a people tho LOVE pale! their skin tends to be softer and they don't get cancer as much--but they won't like you deprecating it. so just be what you are and be happy! everything else will fall into place.

• I don't have a problem with my complexion, I just didn't realize it was that important to some guys.

• To be honest, it all depends on the guy. For me, I don't like the girls that tan so much that they're orange, that is too fake and isn't attractive to me. I like a little bit of color. But a girl is either attractive or she's not. I don't know how fair you are, because you have no pics. But don't worry about it, I'm sure you're fine. And if you want some color, you can do the mystic tanning and just do a very light color.

• Tans are nice, so are nice boobs, a great butt, pretty white smile, nice hair, etc. But it's not that important.

• Don't beat yourself up about it. Just accept the way you look and have more confidence.

Flirt a lot and your surely not to make a mistake :)

• The only girls that look great tanned are yellow blonde chicks. As for me, I'm more of a light skinned brunette fan. Sort of like Snow White but without the gobs of make-up.

What Girls Said 5

• how do you know fake tan doesn't suit you? have you ever tried it? there are ones made for people with fair skin that don't go orange they just give you a natural glow I'm fair skin i am irish after all but believe it or not loads of my friends and my mam and brother have olive skin how they managed to get that in Ireland ill never know lol! but me I'm as pale as a ghost and I put fake tan on sometimes and it was orange but then I tried out different tans and then I found a good one which looked really nice but to be honest I'm not a fan of fake tan its too much effort having to put it on so I'm just going to be pale ! I spend enough time doing my hair and make up and getting dressed never mind having to put tan on

• A tan in general doesn't look especially good on me. I've tried and it just didn't look right...my natural complexion suits me best (and like you said, I don't want to put the effort into a fake tan).

• Then don't seriously I know girls who are more pale than me( didn't think it was possible lol) and fellas here love them they look more natural pretty

• Same here, dark features, fair fair skinned hah. and some guys DO like fair-skinned girls, it all depends on the guy. all different tastes. If people, girl or guy, tell you your complexion is beautiful, that's because it is, don't change it to attract someone ;)

• I'm naturally very pale but have brown hair and sometimes blue and sometimes green eyes. (depends on the day). I would consider people with pale skin to be the most beautiful. I'm a goth so I guess that has an affect on my perception of beauty as well, but my advice is not to change for anyone!

You stay true to yourself and don't mind other people and what they're saying. Who you are is what matters and when you are confident with that (and I hope you soon will be - if you're not already) being pale or tanned is not going to be a very important thing to you any more.

On the bright side I love being pale, why shouldn't you?!? :)

*StillWater*

• I have brown hair and eyes, so people think my features really stand out. I used to think I needed to tan, but now I love my complexion; it's a part of who I am.

• Exactly!

You go girl! ;)

• I am not a guy but I think some guys love tanned girls and others don't. If a guy turns you down because you don't get tanned or don't look good in one then he's not worth it. Most guys do like tanned girls as long as they arrent' orange. But its not to say natural skin color isn't nice. I am sure your natural skin color suits you and maybe you are better off without a tan. There are just as many guys loving tans as there are who love non-tanned girls.

• when I stay in the sun tooo long I get an allergic reaction and I also had some small surgeries already because my doctor wasnt sure if I had skin cancer.

so I prefer to be pale than tan and sick

and I actually heard that a lot of guys think that tanned girls are a turn off

• My grandmother has the same problem when she's out in the sun too long.

skin cancer is an issue for me since my friend's mom died last summer because she had skin cancer and it spread to her organs...it was so horrible.