Which tattoo idea is better?

I want one of these two for a tattoo on the side of my left hand. Both are meant to symbolize that I know who I am and that I define myself independently of all other people, forces, or beliefs. It's a reminder to myself and to be genuine in honest and to be myself in everything that I do.

Anyway, which seems better?

• I am...
  • I know what I am

Most Helpful Guy

• so a few things here:

First, don't make your first tattoo one that is visible to everyone. If the message is for you why do you need it on your hand where only others will see it. I assume by side of hand you mean the pinkie side. That's projecting outward, not inward so it contradicts what you say is your purpose.

Second, stay away from phrases people will ridicule. "I know what I am" is kinda odd and will lead to others mocking it. "I am" is too simple. Why not come up with something creative that conveys the message to just you.

So I have always believed that in life you don't know what you can do without taking risks. Audente Fortuna Juvat (fortune favors the bold) has always been that message for me. I have it on the inside of my bicep in old latin script. I see it every day and it's a message for me, not something to show other people.

anyway sorry to lecture but a tattoo is forever so I always try to advise those new to it to make sure they get it right. You want to look at this as a reminder to always be true to you, not see it as a mistake of youth and wish it was different.

• I appreciate you trying to help but this isn't my first tattoo, it'd be my fourth. In fact my first tattoo was/is on my right forearm just about covers my entire forearm and is a phoenix. I love tattoos and love that people can see them. I like the tattoo you have but it's just not for me. I picked my hand because I plan to get a half sleeve/full sleeve on that arm so I feel a small hand tattoo would work best and keep some of the delicacy, it's not for others to see it though I don't care if they do (some of my current tattoos can be seen and some can't).

But yeah I think things through and I know what I'm doing

• ha nice. It's not that I judge you, you should see some of my friends. It's business, it's what it is. You have the right to your choices but every choice comes with consequences and this happens on many levels. Take tattoos in the military. The recent “fad” is that all servicemen want to look like Navy SEALs all tatted up. Yet what they (and many of these SEALs) seem to forget is that OPSEC is a major part of our lives and survival. Putting a jacked white guy all tatted up in a country where that isn’t considered normal makes them stand out. Risks all lives at that location. Hence the reason for the policy change. You may be the smartest guy in the room but if your choices make you a distraction or liability, it just is what it is. You can try and shift the “blame” to me but the reality is, it’s your choice.

• That situation though it may be true, isn't the norm. In my case I think I'm fine. I've gotten jobs with my big ass arm tattoo I have friends from all social groups and walks of life, and when it comes to settling in a career I plan to get one in a creative/design field or a job in fitness while I work my way up. For most you only need to worry about tattoos if it's a stupid person deciding to get some, so I think I'm good haha.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 6

• side of the hand is a terrible place for a tattoo. it fades and blurs VERY quickly. find a better location of you don't want it to look like you've been writing in smudged ink.

• why would it smudge?

• because you're constantly using and flexing your hands, banging or rubbing them against surfaces, exposing them to temperature differentials and chemicals, they're always exposed to the light... it breaks down the ink very quickly.

tattoos last longest on flat skin that gets little wear and tear.

• I like the second one but how about I know who and what I am instead of I just know what I am.

• well i started off with I am... and then that same day I was listening to the Band Of Skulls song where it goes "i know what i am they know what they are so let me be." and I liked the message of letting everyone be what/who they are and being okay with that, to love people as they are a go on your way. I felt that if i changed the what to who, it'd take away the relation to the song. Does that help? haha I don't know if i explained it well.

• Nah you explained it pretty good and nice, nice it's a good message.

• I didn't really like either one to be honest

• You need a tattoo to remind yourself to be genuine? Isn't that backwards?

• no, not really, no one is honest and genuine ALL the time. We're all human, we're flawed, and sometimes we fake shit and forget to be true to ourselves.

• I'm confused as to what your point is. Yes people can consciously choose to pretend to be and do things, but you can also subconsciously do things that aren't in your nature. For instance, I tend to be a people pleaser because life is easier that way, but I don't actually like doing half the things that that entails. Another example is the general self doubt and envy we ALL experience and the actions and emotions that grow from that doubt without us even knowing.

The tattoo isn't some magic ink that will change my perspective and my actions, believe me, I'm not an idiot. I'm CURRENTLY making changes within myself on my own and the tattoo is simply a reminder for me look at while I'm on the journey of introspection and self discovery. If you choose to see things with a two-dimensional point of view I can't change that, just like how you can't convince me that this is somehow silly or shameful.

• I see.

You need the tattoo. I was wrong about you.

• hows about just I AM

.. seem to have more "power" in it..

• Go for famous quote "I'm who I'm"

What Girls Said 3

• i like the second one, but may i make a contribution?
    there's a beautiful quote in the lion king that goes "never forget who you are". i think that would be quite nice, plus it's disney so... bonus! :D

• lol that is a great quote! unfortunately i detest most disney movies and disney all together haha. but thank you for the input! (i do like lion king though) :)

• OMG... My heart just broke lol. No worries :)

• I like the second one better it sounds very ambitious

• The second one. It makes more sense.