Can we dye our hair over oiled hair?

I have a pretty damaged hair so I planned to apply a coconut oil and keep it overnight and then dye my hair next morning.

Is it alright to use hair dye over oiled hair?
Will the colour still work on hair? Or will the hair be protected from being damaged

Most Helpful Girl

• NO no. has to be oil free (you can wash your hair at night to have a little natural oil in your hair then dye the following morning, tho it won't really help much coz coloring your hair would damage it as it is).
    leave-on creams can be passed as okay before dye but oil won't cause the dye not to sTick to your hair. you could use hot oil treatment after if you like

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 7

• In order to actually color your hair, the dye would have to make contact, which it might not if you have oil on your hair.

• That ain't going to work...

• it'll be harder for the colour to take to your hair...

• I'm not sure if it will work for a darker colour but I know it works for bleach

• Maybe you should go to a professional. I don't know what type of dye you will be using but there may be complications if you're using bleach since your hair is damaged, I don't think it will just become healthy overnight. That's all I know.

• I will help your hair so much

• i think your only supposed to use it on your roots to protect your scalp