Dress code: Black Tie Optional wedding. What does that mean?

for a woman, does that mean a long or short dress?
or can it be either or?
I looked online and am getting a mix of results, so anyone who as attended a black tie optinal wedding, please let me know!

has*

Most Helpful Guy

• You would always be better off showing up well dressed than underdressed. Sometimes the dress code is misunderstood by those arranging the wedding. If you know others attending, ask how they plan to dress.

• im a plus one of my boyfriend. its his friend's wedding. I would ask, but I don't know the families personally :/ and my boyfriend is clueless when it comes to style. lmao thanks though!!

• Ask your boyfriend for the invitation, and give call and ask.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 1

• are you going with someone? go off of what he is wearing aka same tone and look and level of formalness

What Girls Said 1

• Yes it means exactly that, a long or short dress. lol. But seriously, I think it just means that you can dress formal or casual, or opt for something in the middle to play it safe.

I think you will get better results asking other people that are going what they will be wearing than asking on here.

• I am attending my BF's military ball and wearing a long black dress with a v-neck neckline. so you think thats appropriate?
      and im a plus one of my boyfriend. its his friend's wedding. I would ask, but I don't know the families personally and my boyfriend is clueless when it comes to style. lmao thanks though!!

• do you*

• I don't know, from my experience of weddings what the normal wear for everyone was depended so much on how expensive the wedding was going to be lol. People don't expect as much from plus ones I don't think because it makes sense that they wouldn't really be able to have a good feel for what the wedding party is going for not knowing them personally. I think as long as you aren't wearing white you're doing good.