Girls, How do I put on eyeliner?

I'd say I've been having a go at it now for -- well since I discovered make up in the first place -- but seriously, how do you apply eyeliner and make it look good?
I've tried it over and over again but it never ever looks right. (On that note, when I have had someone else put eyeliner on for me I still don't really like the way it ends up looking.) I usually end up skipping the eyeliner -- but I know it would pull my look together if I could really just master it once and for all?
I know you can't exactly show me how to apply eyeliner on a message board (har har), but any tips would be much appreciated!

12

Most Helpful Girl

• You first have to know which eyeliner works best for you. I would say try out a couple different kinds before you really start practicing, just to get a feel for which one you like more, either shadow, gel, liquid or pencil. Colors also matter, though I'm sure you would most likely go with classic black since black goes with everything. But you can choose different shades to help your eyes stand out more. I would say, as a rule of thumb, your makeup should contrast the color of your eyes - so, for example, coppery gold/brown for blue eyes, bronze for green, midnight blue or amber for brown and a warm, chocolate brown for hazel eyes. But, of course, if you're not ready to commit to so much color, black is pretty standard and you can't really go wrong with it.

Start off by priming your eyelids if they're quite oily. This will help liquid eyeliner to not slide off during the day. Pencil liner is the easiest to apply; using your other hand, gently pull your eyelid outwards, then slowly draw a line from the corner of your lid, making it thicker the closer you get to the outer corner of your eye. If you want to draw a wing, what I like to do is take something with a straight edge such as a card and use that to guide the pencil upward until you reach the point you want your wing to end. Then just meet the bottom line to the bottom of your eye and fill it in.

Liquid eyeliner is applied much the same way, only you should be using much less since putting on too much could leave residue on your upper eyelid when you do open your eye again. If you make a mistake, dab a little lotion onto the part you want to fix to erase it. You can also look up some YouTube tutorials. I've found that some are very helpful. Good luck! :)

What Girls Said 11

• I've been trying for years and still can't ever get it right haha. So I just go without winged liner. I tried youtube videos but it didn't help. Maybe it'll work for you.
    But I think my eyes are too dark for black winged liner when also wearing mascara. Or at least, I haven't found a way to make it work for me :/

• I've been doing my eyeliner almost daily for three years, and this is my method for winged liner

1: have a nice liquid liner pen (i use maybeline's master precise line.4 mm) and makeup wipes handy.
    2: Apply a toner and concealer to your lids to cover dark circles and make you look well rested
    3: start with a smooth basic line across each eye lid. Use short and gentle strokes, starting at the corner of your eye and moving out. Do this to both eyes
    4: then, on one eye, take the tip of your liner pen and CAREFULLY draw a guiding line, following the curve of your bottom lid. Let it go about 4-5 mm. And then delicately repeat on the other side. If they aren't 100% even, dont worry, i'll tell you how to fix it in a later step. The only thing that matters is the lengths being even and level
    5: next, starting from the existing line on you lid, connect the end of your liner to the guideline, with a gentle curve in it. Fill in the space, then do the same to the other side. If you mess up, take a pointed q-tip or your wipe over your nail to remove the imperfections on the top. Angle your arm and hand above your eyes so you dont affect the guides
    6: to get the signiture flick of winged eyeliner, take your fingernail and wrap a makeup wipe over it and ever so gently, swipe away at the excess liner on the BOTTOM OF THE WINGS. If you over do it, just add back liner and try again. It can take a few times.
    7: I usually then go about my makeup routine (i do liner first bc of how long it takes) and saving eye shadow and powders for last. When you do eye shadow, go ahead and do it right over the liner, get it smooth then you can carefully go back over the wings with your liner pen. Use the wipe again underneath if you have to
    8: finally, take a flat or square makeup brush and put a tiny amount of concealer or foundation and working it from the under eye, up and right under the wings, continues it in a line over extra eyeshadow, curving the line to fit your eye socket shape, back to your brows. Blend any excess and finish your face with your powders (dry foundation, blush, bronzer, etc)

It takes practice, patience and a good hour the first time you try to get it right, but over the years i have gotten it down to 15-20 min to do the wings GOOD LUCK!!!

• Go to YouTube. Seriously that's how I've figured out how to correct all my beauty fails (and the importance of contouring)

• I a, definitely not the person to ask 😂

• Practice makes perfect, I put it on very slow and controlled and this will come to you though practice

• I don't know, I'm artistic and think of make up as drawing on my face so that worked

• Try YouTube, I would also suggest gel liner because it usually applies smoothly and easily 👌

• I use two pieces of paper and tape them where I want my eyeliner to go. As long as you tape them evenly it will never mess up!

• it took 3 years to get the hang of but still freak out about it bc im perfectionist

• i usually start by putting dot where I want it to end then i draw a line from the center of my eyelid to the dot when you draw the line keep in mind the style of liner you want if you want it to look straight or you want it to start real low on your eyelid then draw line from the outter corner to your eye to the dot we started with lastly depending if on if you want eyeliner to go all the way down to the inner corner of your eye draw a line following the shape your eye right above on the lash line orrrr you could just watch a video lolol

• YouTube taught me, but I trace my eyelid right above the lash line, it takes a while to get it right but you just got to mess around with it a lot, a few good youtubers that I learned from are Michell Phan, glam&gore, madeyoulook

• I would only put it on half of your lower eye, and nothing else.

That's what I do, and it looks great!

Unless you like heavier makeup