Why is it called lingerie?

I don't understand and I'm genuinely curious, why is it called lingerie?
Why isn't it just "sexy clothing" or some shit like that?

Most Helpful Guy

• There are times when google and Wikipedia are your friend
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingerie
    For the lazy ones
    ETYMOLOGY :-" lingerie derives from the French word linge, meaning 'linen'. So faire le linge, comes to mean "do the laundry". In French the word lingerie applies to all undergarments for either sex.[citation needed] In English it means women's underwear or nightclothes.[1] Lingerie as a word was first used to refer underwear and bras in 1922.[2] Informal usage suggests visually appealing or even erotic clothing. Although most lingerie is designed to be worn by women, some manufactures now design lingerie for men".
    ORIGINS: -"Origins[edit] "The concept of lingerie as a visually appealing undergarment was developed during the late nineteenth century. Lady Duff-Gordon of Lucile was a pioneer in developing lingerie that freed women from more restrictive corsets. Through the first half of the 20th century, women wore underwear for three primary reasons: to alter their outward shape (first with corsets and later with girdles or bras), for hygienic reasons, or for modesty. Before the invention of crinoline, women's underwear was often very large and bulky. During the late 19th century, corsets became smaller, less bulky and constricting, and were gradually supplanted by the brassiere, first patented in the 20th century by Mary Phelps Jacob. When the First World War broke out, women found themselves filling in men's work roles, creating a demand for more practical undergarments. Manufacturers began to use lighter and more breathable fabrics. In 1935 brassières were updated with padded cups to flatter small breasts and three years later underwire bras were introduced that gave a protruding bustline. There was also a return to a small waist achieved with girdles. The 1940s woman was thin, but had curvaceous hips and breasts that were pointy and shapely. In the 1960s the female silhouette was liberated along with social mores. The look was adolescent breasts, slim hips, and extreme thinness. André Courrèges was the first to make a fashion statement out of the youth culture when his 1965 collection presented androgynous figures and the image of a modern woman comfortable with her own body"
    Need a second part to finish message

• Part 2
      "As the 20th century progressed, underwear became smaller and more form fitting. In the 1960s, lingerie manufacturers such as Frederick's of Hollywood begin to glamorize lingerie. The lingerie industry expanded in the 21st century with designs that doubled as outerwear".

• Thanks for MHO

Most Helpful Girl

• The word lingerie derives from the French word linge, meaning 'linen'. So faire le linge, comes to mean "do the laundry". In French the word lingerie applies to all undergarments for either sex. In English it means women's underwear or nightclothes. Lingerie as a word was first used to refer underwear and bras in 1922.

What Guys Said 15

• A quick Google search yielded the following result:

Origin:
    lh3.googleusercontent.com/f-t0Uy5efya_6b1k9W_BingdhbWPHHy-9-MiNdFdXR-t6eWN-Bj7xA_DmBI_ak--HoRbxQ=s85
    mid 19th century: from French, from linge ‘linen.’

Undergarments at the time we're commonly made from linen. Calling them linens would have been understandable. Of course the French called them 'linge'. It's just a step from linge to lingerie.

Hope that answers your question.

• lingerie... lounge.. around..

get it? :P fuck even I don't get it

that shit was lame

• lingerie (n.)
    1835 (but not in widespread use until 1852), from French lingerie "things made of linen," also "laundry room, linen shop" (15c.), from Old French linge "linen" (12c.), from Latin lineus (adj.) "of linen," from linum "flax, linen" (see linen). Originally introduced in English as a euphemism for scandalous under-linen.

• Because as @Dubhlann pointed out, the word has a history behind it.

• Lingerie are women's undergarments, and may imply their being fashionable and alluring

• from french linge... but who cares, it looks hot on girls. could also be called poop, I wouldn't care

• It's probably French. The weird clothing terms are always French.

• To sound like it's a french word, to make it seem sexier as French is the language of romance.

• i think it is french right?, sounds french and french do like their sexy, kinky things hey ;-)

• Some foreign word or something I guess

• It's originally from French word

• Why are jockstraps called jockstraps OP lol

• Have you tried wikipedia,
    I think its french though

• Isn't that french for "Pre-booty eating underwear?"

• Where did the words sexy clothing come from?

What Girls Said 6

• It actually comes from the French word linge which translates to linen believe it or not. I believe they were original invented to replace corsets and serve as undergarmets before eventually being adopted as playful-lounge wear.

• derives from the French word linge, meaning 'linen'.. also known as undergarments! I guess it's just more delicate that your average cotton panties and bras etc.

• It sounds fancier.
    "Lemme put on thas heer sexay clothin's now"
    vs
    "Let me put on this fabulous lingerie and drink my champagne on my ya1

• I didn't invent English, sorry

• Because everything sounds better in French, darling.

• it is french