Which does this fall under?

Do you think surgery to fix or remove birth defects ( that don't affect health) is the same as cosmetic surgery done to ehance appearance. One is done to create a normal apperance while the other is done to ehance apperance.

The title is wrong. The title is supposed to be are they similar?
My sister says she thinks there different a person born with a abnormal birth defect is just looking to correct it to create a normal apperance, while the other is done with the goal to make the persons apperance better in terms of beauty. What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• The one is done to live and look normal so it is needed even thought it still is considered cosmetic because of what it is correcting is not life threatening

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes its cosmetic surgery.

• Whats cosmetic? Someone getting a birth defect fixed or removed when it doesn't affect health?

• My sister said even though there both cosmetic. She looks at them differently bc one's intentions are to get a normal apperance and get rid of the birth defect while the other is done with the intentions to ehance apperance for beauty purposes. She says one is ok in her eyes but the other she doesn't agree with. Would u agree or disagree.

• She basically says one isn't intended to enhance looks toward a beauty ideal; ones purpose is meant to bring the aesthetics of the face or body in line with a healthy, appropriate norm.

What Guys Said 1

• Basically the same thing in my opinion, just worded different.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't view it as the same at all.

• Yes it is.

• It's cosmetic surgery still but i see it as different from breast jobs etc. I think there's cosmetic surgery to remove stuff (birthmarks, scars, abnormal growths) and then there's the vain kind of cosmetic surgery.

• it is a type of cosmetic surgery. anything done to change appearance is referred to as cosmetic. don't listen to what other people think tho. if anyone wants to change their appearance they should be allowed to with no criticism. it's your body. do what you want with it.

• Insurance wise, it is probably considered cosmetic surgery if it doesn't affect health. It's unfortunate that it is on par with elective plastic surgery that is often used to just enhance appearance, but its a broad category of surgery.

• normal apperance i mean if its defect like if i was born with a 6th finger ill get that removed asap or like a huge birth mark on my face ill get that fixed too

• It's just reconstruction plastic surgery

• Reconstructive

• To me it is the same thing. Most people want to look attractive whether they are getting a breast augmentation or fixing a birth defect. My sister had jaw surgery and while it was needed we often joke that she got plastic surgery that was covered by health insurance.

• I see what you mean but i disagree. A birth defect is a abnormalility that shouldn't have happened. It was something that went wrong rather than just plain genetics.

• Its not fair to put someone who is removing a sixth finger or cleft lip on the same boat as someone who wants a smaller nose to look prettier.

• They are slightly different but both still cosmetic unless for a medical reason (like fixing septum to help you breathe or something). Also have to think about people who maybe become injured in their life, like badly burned - it's not a birth defect but it is also not just done to enhance looks, more to return them to their previous appearance